New Manager...

AvfcRigo82

Next managerial appointment should be...  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Next managerial appointment should be...

• Arsene Wenger
    • Chris Houghton
    • Sam Allerdyce
    • Maurico Pochettino
    • Sean Dyche
    • Manuel Pellegrini
    • Tony Pulis
    • John Terry
    • Leonardo Jardim
    • Ernesto Valverde

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/07/20 at 22:59

Southampton are a well coached team. I would love their manager. If we do have big ambitions and any new manager is going to be backed then we may be able to tempt him. He is going no further at Southampton. He may see Villa as a big draw

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Southampton are a well coached team. I would love their manager. If we do have big ambitions and any new manager is going to be backed then we may be able to tempt him. He is going no further at Southampton. He may see Villa as a big draw

If Smith had lost 9-0 this site would have broken. 

I agree he has done a superb job. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I think switching smith for hughton would be a change for the sake of it. 

I'd rather let smith have more time to try and build something. 

I’ve been staunch Smith out this past week but this makes a lot of sense and puts it somewhat into perspective for me and be careful what you wish for cause I sure would prefer smith over hughton who I rate as a poor negative prem manager. Coming around to actually Smith staying regardless 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

define amazing?

The best manager we would have hired for ....twenty years? That would be  pretty amazing in my opinion.

Sadly it looks like Rafa is out though, but yeah I think it would be an amazing appointment we we got so lucky.

What has Rafa done since 2005 which makes him such an fans favourite? 

Thought he was pretty poor at Newcastle wasted money of poor players when he could spend Muto etc and constant pops at the board if he doesn’t get his way . Plus his football is pretty dire for the cost it would take to prize him away from China. 

• Like 4

Took what was essentially a joke club, Newcastle and brought them straight back up. He also got the team straightened out enough so it could be invested in again. 

More broadly though Rafa is a big club manager. Nobody is surprised to seem him roll up at the top clubs in the world. 

However I would love any candidate better qualified than Rafa as well. Its more he is the calibre of manager I would like to see.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 2

Benitez brought Newcastle back up at the first time of asking and then finished midtable with them two seasons in a row, and it's basically the team that he built that's allowing Bruce to have a decent season with them. He'd be a good manager for us because he knows what he's doing, knows what it takes to succeed, as big club experience, and is tactically very astute. Would be a big departure for us from the Smith, Lambert, Sherwood, Bruce type appointments, and show a lot of ambition.

I don't think it will happen for a number of reasons though, one he won't come to us if we go down, wouldn't be easy to bring him in if we stay up, he's worked with both Purslow and Pitarch in the past and I don't think either ended well, Edens has said he wants a philosphy of attacking football and seems to be very keen on us promoting developing youth, neither of which you'd really associate with Rafa, and if Newcastle get their takeover I think that there's a good chance he'll end up back there, presuming they don't get Pochettino.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Nuno Espirito Santo was a goalkeeper.

Are you implying Wolves play attacking football despite this? Because they really don't.

They're very much a counter attacking team but have a lot of quality which seems to fool people into thinking they play an exciting expansive game.

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

Thought he was pretty poor at Newcastle wasted money of poor players when he could spend Muto etc and constant pops at the board if he doesn’t get his way .

I'm just impressed he managed to simultaneously choose who to sign and have pops at the board (as well as leave the club) for not being able to sign who he wants.

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Are you implying Wolves play attacking football despite this? Because they really don't.

They're very much a counter attacking team but have a lot of quality which seems to fool people into thinking they play an exciting expansive game.

No. It was meant after explained that Frank Lampard was an attacking Midfielder, John Terry was a defender.

Nuno was a goalkeeper.

What I mean is.. it doesn't matter what position you played, you're either going to do well or not.

FWIW, I Don't see anything different to suggest JT wouldn't have a decent crack at management once he starts.

Wolves rarely play with more than two out and out attacking players in the first eleven, it's usually Jimenez and one of Jota or Adama, or if both Adama and Jota are playing often it will be with Adama playing as a wing-back. The rest of their team is back five, and three central midfielders, none whom whilst technically good are what you'd call attacking midfielders. But it works for them, and there are still only seven other teams that have scored  more goals this season.

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

No. It was meant after explained that Frank Lampard was an attacking Midfielder, John Terry was a defender.

Nuno was a goalkeeper.

What I mean is.. it doesn't matter what position you played, you're either going to do well or not.

FWIW, I Don't see anything different to suggest JT wouldn't have a decent crack at management once he starts.

Fair enough. Agree with all of this.

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Nuno was a goalkeeper.

Fair enough. Agree with all of this.

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Wolves rarely play with more than two out and out attacking players in the first eleven, it's usually Jimenez and one of Jota or Adama, or if both Adama and Jota are playing often it will be with Adama playing as a wing-back. The rest of their team is back five, and three central midfielders, none whom whilst technically good are what you'd call attacking midfielders. But it works for them, and there are still only seven other teams that have scored  more goals this season.

Because they have the quality to make chances count even if there are relatively few.

When is someone going to take a chance on Gallardo, that's probably the type that we need to bring in if we're to break from the usual cycle of managers we've been going through. Would rather take a chance on him or a similar equivalent, than someone like Dyche, if there's any chance that we could get.

• Like 1

Gallardo has won a lot of trophies at River but his league record isnt really standing out. He hasnt won the league and 3 of his 5 seasons they finished outside the top 6 in Argentina

Can anyone who thinks keeping Dean for next season explain why.

Hopefully based on more than he got us promoted last season so will do it again.

For me he is a very limited manager and we need someone who has a plan a, b and c and will change it as soon as he can see the current plan is not working

• Like 2