New Manager...

AvfcRigo82

Next managerial appointment should be...  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Next managerial appointment should be...

• Arsene Wenger
    • Chris Houghton
    • Sam Allerdyce
    • Maurico Pochettino
    • Sean Dyche
    • Manuel Pellegrini
    • Tony Pulis
    • John Terry
    • Leonardo Jardim
    • Ernesto Valverde

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/07/20 at 22:59

I think Sean Dyche would potentially be an excellent fit for us. He’s earned his spurs at Burnley and would possibly be looking to a club with greater potential.

I’d say he’s a pragmatic manager and plays the game with what he’s got not what he’d like to have. His teams aren’t set up in the Pulis style, but he understands that if you don’t concede a goal you’ve got at least a point. I’m sure that with more money at his disposal and therefore with better quality players his team would produce more “pleasing to the eye” football, without forgetting that winning is always the priority. 

He’s also a strong character who wouldn’t let the non football men tell him what he can or can’t do. He’s worked with a restricted budget so he’s not going to demand we sign a £100m striker, but I doubt he’d stand for an unproven kid from Belgium to lead the line on his own for a season either. 

Whether he’d work under Purslow and his recruitment strategy or Purslow would allow him enough control to run the first team properly is the big question. 

I like Dean Smith and I don’t think he’s done as bad a job as some people think. However if Sean Dyche was his replacement I’d sack him myself. Dyche could be perfect for us and we could be perfect for him. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think Sean Dyche would potentially be an excellent fit for us. He’s earned his spurs at Burnley and would possibly be looking to a club with greater potential.

I’d say he’s a pragmatic manager and plays the game with what he’s got not what he’d like to have. His teams aren’t set up in the Pulis style, but he understands that if you don’t concede a goal you’ve got at least a point. I’m sure that with more money at his disposal and therefore with better quality players his team would produce more “pleasing to the eye” football, without forgetting that winning is always the priority. 

He’s also a strong character who wouldn’t let the non football men tell him what he can or can’t do. He’s worked with a restricted budget so he’s not going to demand we sign a £100m striker, but I doubt he’d stand for an unproven kid from Belgium to lead the line on his own for a season either. 

Whether he’d work under Purslow and his recruitment strategy or Purslow would allow him enough control to run the first team properly is the big question. 

I like Dean Smith and I don’t think he’s done as bad a job as some people think. However if Sean Dyche was his replacement I’d sack him myself. Dyche could be perfect for us and we could be perfect for him. 

I just think that this a risky strategy Dave. We all assume that because a guy has worked well at a small club with limited funds, that he will instantly join a bigger club, with greater funds and be a success. The problem is, it is a different job with different demands and pressures. The only way of mitigating this risk is to appoint someone who has already experienced a similar situation and been successful. 

5 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I just think that this a risky strategy Dave. We all assume that because a guy has worked well at a small club with limited funds, that he will instantly join a bigger club, with greater funds and be a success. The problem is, it is a different job with different demands and pressures. The only way of mitigating this risk is to appoint someone who has already experienced a similar situation and been successful. 

More times than most it ends badly. Moyes to United, Curbishley to West Ham, Bruce to Sunderland 

The only one i can think working was Arry at Spurs but I think he had people signing the players 

• Like 1

I remember when we were being linked to Bruce and McLeish before they were appointed and people were saying that with more money and potentially better players that they'd play better football, didn't really work out like that and I'm not sure it would with Dyche, he'd stick to what he knows best and what has been relatively succesful for him up until now.

I don't want Dyche because I feel if Smith goes we need to try something other than going for managers that have over achieved with unfancied teams, but at the same time if it was to happen I wouldn't be massively disappointed with it, would be sceptical, but could also see the plus points and reasons to be hopeful that it might work.

But ultimately if we're to ever end the cycle we've been on since O'Neill left then I think we need to stop messing about and appoint a genuine top class manager.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

I like Dean Smith and I don’t think he’s done as bad a job as some people think. However if Sean Dyche was his replacement I’d sack him myself. Dyche could be perfect for us and we could be perfect for him. Bri

Brian Little - advisor to the board. Has urged his appointment every time.

Just can't see him quitting Burnley.

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

Brian Little - advisor to the board. Has urged his appointment every time.

Just can't see him quitting Burnley.

I don't think he will quit and walk out on them just yet, but I can see him finishing the season and then parting with mutual consent.

He has taken them as far as he can imo.

Is he the answer to Aston Villa though? That's another matter.

8 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I don't think he will quit and walk out on them just yet, but I can see him finishing the season and then parting with mutual consent.

He has taken them as far as he can imo.

Is he the answer to Aston Villa though? That's another matter.

I think he would be worth a shot. my concern though is that he has only done it at one club. is he a 'good Burnley manager'  rather than a good manager 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

I think he would be worth a shot. my concern though is that he has only done it at one club. is he a 'good Burnley manager'  rather than a good manager 

I get you. He would be suited to a club similar to Burnley and how things are done. Tight budgets etc.

Horses for courses etc.

A DOF above him though and things may be a tad different.

• Like 1

I just think Dyche has gained a lot of experience at Burnley and done very well. He knows how to win football matches, which is obviously pretty important. For where we are now it’s probably the right step for him and us. 

He’s not the next Klopp or Pepe but it’s unlikely that we’re going to attract managers like that at this stage in our redevelopment, without taking a big risk on a manager from abroad and getting lucky. He can take us to the next level and perhaps beyond. Man Utd did ok with some bloke from Aberdeen some years back. 

Maybe if his name  was Seanio Dychio he’d be a more exciting appointment? 

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I get you. He would be suited to a club similar to Burnley and how things are done. Tight budgets etc.

Horses for courses etc.

A DOF above him though and things may be a tad different.

I think it depends on the DOF. If they can form a good working relationship and he is also a strong character then it could work. 

It’s always a risk of course but I think he’d be a solid appointment for where we are or even if we go down. He may take more persuading to drop down a division but if the deal is right and we really are going somewhere he’d come to us. 

4 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think it depends on the DOF. If they can form a good working relationship and he is also a strong character then it could work. 

It’s always a risk of course but I think he’d be a solid appointment for where we are or even if we go down. He may take more persuading to drop down a division but if the deal is right and we really are going somewhere he’d come to us. 

Depends also how much ambition the owners have.

I just think with Purslow involved I worry if we will see a 'strong minded manager' appointed. It's a silent worry until proved wrong I guess.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I just think Dyche has gained a lot of experience at Burnley and done very well. He knows how to win football matches, which is obviously pretty important. For where we are now it’s probably the right step for him and us. 

He’s not the next Klopp or Pepe but it’s unlikely that we’re going to attract managers like that at this stage in our redevelopment, without taking a big risk on a manager from abroad and getting lucky. He can take us to the next level and perhaps beyond. Man Utd did ok with some bloke from Aberdeen some years back. 

Maybe if his name  was Seanio Dychio he’d be a more exciting appointment? 

I don't think it's his name or where hes from that makes it a bland appointment.

It's absolutely to do with style. We've all seen a Burnley side play... Well drilled, physical (see Ben mee), direct (wood and Rodriguez upfront suggest they aren't playing much football on the deck). Is that where we want to go? 

We would require a full rebuild, again. We don't have the players for this style. It's just the kind of appointment that makes no sense to me whatsoever. We have selected the way we want avfc to play, which is being implemented through all the avfc age groups. Are we going to rip up the work of the last 20 months to start again and appoint a dyche?

I think he's a good manager, but wrong for us.

• Like 3

Just now, Mjvilla said:

I don't think it's his name or where hes from that makes it a bland appointment.

It's absolutely to do with style. We've all seen a Burnley side play... Well drilled, physical (see Ben mee), direct (wood and Rodriguez upfront suggest they aren't playing much football on the deck). Is that where we want to go? 

We would require a full rebuild, again. We don't have the players for this style. It's just the kind of appointment that makes no sense to me whatsoever. We have selected the way we want avfc to play, which is being implemented through all the avfc age groups. Are we going to rip up the work of the last 20 months to start again and appoint a dyche?

The age group thing is a myth or perhaps overstated.For example early season we played out from the back more , which we altered after the first few games - we don't do it so much now - was that change passed to the u23's ?  - Recently we started a match with 2 forwards - did that get passed down - then changed back. ?

We are going to loose some of better players anyway.

If we change Smith - surely we want the next manager to have his own ideas and change the training methods - to just come in and do what DS did will just yield the same results.

Any sort of plan is very fluid anyway. I really don't see what we are tearing up should Smith depart. Weve spent 10 years on plans "young and hungry" , "the villa engine" , "Changing the ethos" - Its all words with little substance. Appoint a coach who wins football matches - put the basics in place.

• Like 1

Smith isn’t going anywhere, and rightly so. He’ll be manager next season, whatever league we end up in, and there’ll be one or two tweaks in the background. Hopefully Suso and Terry move on, and Dean Smith has more of an input in replacements and transfers. UTV

1 hour ago, Mjvilla said:

I get your point and Dyche is certainly not Pepelite. I just think he’d get us winning and then perhaps we’d play better football from a stronger base.

We currently lack confidence and don’t have a strong mentality. Some players would need changing to achieve a more robust approach obviously but a lot of it is mindset. We’re never going to win matches if we always need at least 2 or 3 goals to even be level.