Kaine Kesler Hayden

Villan4Life

1 hour ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Didn't even notice he didn't make the bench. Surely Emery can't think it would be better to have both Sinisalo and Olsen on the bench than to have Kesler if he was available.

maybe Kelser has been a naughty boy.

3 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

Is he training with the first team? Someone mentioned here a few post that he might have fallen in with a bad crowd off the pitch.

Some random unsubstantiated accusations on a message board. Must've had a knock or something, or was ill

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Played last two u21 games. I still find it odd he wouldn't be in the first team squad given we have to GK on the bench at present. 

Is he even training with the first team?

Regardless of Kesler, I think its extremely odd that we're persisting with having 2 GKs on the bench in general. I genuinely cannot see any logic to it. Of all the youth players Emery could've chosen to fill up the bench, he chooses our youth goalkeeper fresh off a failed loan in league 1 despite the fact we already have another goalkeeper on the bench.

Wonder if its a thing for emery to have 2 gks on the bench

Edited by Laughable Chimp

23 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Regardless of Kesler, I think its extremely odd that we're persisting with having 2 GKs on the bench in general. I genuinely cannot see any logic to it. Of all the youth players Emery could've chosen to fill up the bench, he chooses our youth goalkeeper fresh off a failed loan in league 1 despite the fact we already have another goalkeeper on the bench.

Wonder if its a thing for emery to have 2 gks on the bench

It's pretty simple. Obviously emery prefers the 2 youth players on the bench ahead of kessler. So if a youth player is going to come on it will be them. We have what 5 senior outfield players on the bench as well. That's 7 outfield subs. If we are going to make changes those will be the players brought on. Unless both Martinez and Olsen get hurt or sent off in which case you desperately need another goalkeeper. Basically a 2nd goalkeeper is way more valuable to have on the bench than a 3rd youth player because neither are leikt to play but if they do you desperately need the goalkeeper you don't need kessler. 

4 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

It's pretty simple. Obviously emery prefers the 2 youth players on the bench ahead of kessler. So if a youth player is going to come on it will be them. We have what 5 senior outfield players on the bench as well. That's 7 outfield subs. If we are going to make changes those will be the players brought on. Unless both Martinez and Olsen get hurt or sent off in which case you desperately need another goalkeeper. Basically a 2nd goalkeeper is way more valuable to have on the bench than a 3rd youth player because neither are leikt to play but if they do you desperately need the goalkeeper you don't need kessler. 

It's probably simpler than that. I assume the bench is made up of those in the first team. So anyone who is training weekly in first team are the only people who can make the bench. It's a togetherness and team mentality. 

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

But that's the thing, he isn't choosing between a 2nd goalkeeper and a youth player. The 2nd goalkeeper is a youth player himself.

Edit: Nevermind, I just realized Olsen didn't make the bench last match.

4 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

But that's the thing, he isn't choosing between a 2nd goalkeeper and a youth player. The 2nd goalkeeper is a youth player himself

The 2nd goalkeeper being a youth player is irrelevant. Kessler is a Full back either cash, digne or moreno will come on ahead of him if we need to bring on a full back. If we need to bring on a 2nd keeper. Then we need to bring on a keeper. 

I just realized we had both Sinisalo and Oliwier Zych on our bench last match, the latter I've never even heard of until just recently but apparently he's an 18 year old goalkeeper.

I think the fact that we still stuck with 2 goalkeepers on the bench even with Olsen being out strongly suggests Emery prefers it this way.

Edit: I just checked one of Villareal's squads at the start of this season too. And they indeed have 2 goalkeepers on the bench too.

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

It is absolutely bizarre tbf. Who needs two goalkeepers on the bench

Unless you’re Gareth Southgate, who needs 3 right backs in the squad, 3 if you consider Chambers 

18 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Didnt we lose Heaton and Steer in the same game. Rare but has happened

I feel like this happened as well but after googling it, but I don't think its quite true as the lineups for the game where Steer got injured didn't include Heaton whatsoever, just Nyland and Steer. Heaton must've been injured before the match itself which explains why we had Nyland on the bench.

On 18/02/2023 at 05:30, MotoMkali said:

Basically a 2nd goalkeeper is way more valuable to have on the bench than a 3rd youth player because neither are leikt to play but if they do you desperately need the goalkeeper

That’s a really good way of putting it which I hadn’t considered when wondering why we had the extra keeper on the bench.

• 3 weeks later...

This is from the Middleborough fan forum (written yesterday):

image.png.3977efde24eb5df69e48dd2dbd98d626.png

Would be a really good move i think if true, obviously would need to be for next season, but if Boro dont manage to get promoted it would be a great move.

• Like 2

Â