Pre-Match Thread

Ouchmefoot

1 hour ago, PaddytheVillan said:

Yeah perhaps. It's a tough call, Guilbert is much more energetic and better at tackling, but Elmo's crossing, marking and positioning is better at present. Suspect Smith might go your way, he certainly seems to trust Elmo. 

Samatta scores headers. Samatta needs decent delivery. Samatta needs elmo

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Would go...

Reina

Fred engels mings targett

Luiz nakamba conor

Jack

Samagoal  davis

A diamond is interesting although it puts a lot of pressure on the fullbacks to provide the width.

18 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Besides 1 decent corner Conor was awful when he came on in cup. That shape with him in mid 3 is horrendous

Yep. I agree with you, but who or what else is there? Elghazi might turn up, or he might be anonymous as he has been for 60% of the season. 

If we are returning to 4-3-3 there is no way Conor is not getting back into the team. Unless Jack is playing as an 8 or Smith is seriously considering Drink.

If he chooses the latter i'd be stunned.

Edited by villalad21

14 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

If we are returning to 4-3-3 there is no way Conor is not getting back into the team. Unless Jack is playing as an 8 or Smith is seriously considering Drink.

If he chooses the latter i'd be stunned.

So there’s no way Conner isn’t returning to the team but then straight after you provide two options which mean he wouldn’t.  

You’re fast becoming my favourite poster. 

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

So there’s no way Conner isn’t returning to the team but then straight after you provide two options which mean he wouldn’t.  

You’re fast becoming my favourite poster. 

Jack didn't really work well in the middle in the final. And he's been pretty anonymous when playing there this season.

I'd be very surprised if Smith sticks Jack in the middle for this game.

Drink just no. Shouldn't even be in the squad.

I think if we're 4-3-3 and we're presuming Jack will be on the wing, I think we'd most likely be looking at Nakamba and Luiz plus one - if he's fit, that'll be McGinn and in fairness I reckon that's a pretty good blend.

Without McGinn, the choices narrow and I think I'd put Jack back in the middle with Luiz and Nakamba behind him holding and both of our wide men starting.

I think Drinkwater has played himself out of the reckoning and whilst they're useful to have around, I think Hourihane and Lansbury aren't quite up to it at this level.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

If we can repeat the performance of the first leg cup game, then I fancy our chances. A victory would certainly turn a few heads.and provide us with the momentum to achieve that all important aim of survival. 

We need to be better defensively.

I think Leicester had something like 40 shots in total in those 2 cup games.

xG tells you Leicester should have won, but Nyland had a worldie really. Who is even starting in goal tomorrow? Probably Reina?

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

We need to be better defensively.

I think Leicester had something like 40 shots in total in those 2 cup games.

xG tells you Leicester should have won, but Nyland had a worldie really. Who is even starting in goal tomorrow? Probably Reina?

I would totally go for Reina. Nyland did well in the league cup run, but he’s not our best keeper for me.

I would say a bigger dilemma is how we set up defensively in numbers. It is a difficult one to predict, I wouldn’t mind seeing a 451 again to be honest, but it depends if we have the personnel to do that

The interesting question is whether we go with our back 4 which got comprehensively destroyed by Leicester's striker pairing, or with our back 3 that ground out good results in the cup.

I think we'll go with the back 4, but Vardy and Iheanacho will destroy Engels IMO unless we see a vastly improved performance from our midfield. The savaging we got off Long/Ings and Vardy/Iheanacho was the exact reason we changed shape.

(And don't get me wrong, generally I prefer the back 4. But sometimes you have to take the opposition's strengths into account.)

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Newry_Villan said:

Couldn't have asked for better results wise today(apart from Jammy Jawdees). Up to us now to capitalise on it.