Pre-Match Thread

Ouchmefoot

On 03/03/2020 at 10:46, rjw63 said:

Yes.

And just like the striker on a 3 month barren run, the manager needing a win to save his job, etc etc, you just know what usually happens...

spacer.png

Last Tango In Leicester.

Sunday's League Cup runners-up, visit the beaten semi-finalists on Monday night. We have 11 cup finals left this season and this will be the first of them. We need a minimum of four wins from these games for survival, in my opinion. This would be a nice time to get a win and to start a run of good results, but our hosts will want payback for being knocked out of the cup by us. 

The least said about the game between these two clubs in December the better. Since that defeat, we have drawn away and have won at home against Leicester in the cup. Our last league win at this ground came in 2004. Goals from Vassell (2), Crouch (2) & Dublin, gave us a 5-0 win. We have lost on the two league visits, that we have made since then (0-1 & 2-3, both games were played in 2015). Overall we have won 27 and have drawn 22, of the 87 league games, that there have been between the two clubs.     

Both teams are on a run of less than inspiring results. Their run threatens their Champions League place, although not as much as our own sorry run, threatens our place in the top flight. It's high time that we started to battle away from home and began to pick up the odd positive result from games like these, like other clubs who are near the foot of the table have done of late. Just win it for us Villa, but if you are unable to do that, do be sure to come away, with a hard earned point! 🤞🤞🤞 

Edited by John
  • Like 1

On 02/03/2020 at 18:11, villalad21 said:

Cup games and League games are totally different though.

In the cup there are no points at stake. No pressure. Totally different circumstances.

Yeah, thats exactly why everyone is saying we have 11 "cup finals" left

23 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Yeah, thats exactly why everyone is saying we have 11 "cup finals" left

Don't be silly. Of course a final is different.

I didn't see a single person getting very upset when Fulham knocked us out of the cup.  Even Smith said it wasn't a great priority.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Don't be silly. Of course a final is different.

I didn't see a single person getting very upset when Fulham knocked us out of the cup.  Even Smith said it wasn't a great priority.

You're the one being silly. 

It was a 2 legged semi final with both sides at full strength, playing your reserves in early rounds is nothing like playing at full strength in a SF or final. You ever considered applying for a job at Talksport?

1 minute ago, Junxs said:

You're the one being silly. 

It was a 2 legged semi final with both sides at full strength, playing your reserves in early rounds is nothing like playing at full strength in a SF or final. You ever considered applying for a job at Talksport?

Nothing really happens if you lose. You get knocked out of the Mickey Mouse cup. Oh noes.

Getting "knocked" out of the league you lose out of hundreds of millions of revenue.

The pressure is totally different

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Nothing really happens if you lose. You get knocked out of the Mickey Mouse cup. Oh noes.

Getting "knocked" out of the league you lose out of hundreds of millions of revenue.

The pressure is totally different

So you're saying there was more pressure in the away game at Burton Albion last season than there was at Wembley on Sunday?

1 hour ago, Junxs said:

So you're saying there was more pressure in the away game at Burton Albion last season than there was at Wembley on Sunday?

There is more pressure to perform in league games. That's just the nature of the competition's.

Must win game, etc.  You've all heard the rest and know what's at stake.

Blues showed they can be got at, and theyre not a good side.

If we can turn up to an away game for a change, we've every chance of 3 points.  If Norwich can do it...

1 hour ago, flashingqwerty said:

Must win game, etc.  You've all heard the rest and know what's at stake.

Blues showed they can be got at, and theyre not a good side.

If we can turn up to an away game for a change, we've every chance of 3 points.  If Norwich can do it...

I think Norwich will go above us. They just seem to have more about them at the moment.

Despite the fight against City we still conceded very soft goals. 

Will be interesting to see how we fare against Leicester. You never know if this team is going to turn up or not. You just don't know.

I don't even know what team we will line up. It seem to be changing by every week

Edited by villalad21

26 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I'll lose all faith if we get battered lining-up in the same 433 they trounced us with at home.

Why? Leicester are 3rd. No shame in that.

These aren't the games that will define our season.

Newcastle, Palace and West Ham are the teams we need to beat. Then if we can't get a win against a few of the big guns (and i am including Wolves and Sheff Utd among those) then we will have to at least try to draw a few of them games.

Edited by villalad21

17 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Why? Leicester are 3rd. No shame in that.

These aren't the games that will define our season.

Newcastle, Palace and West Ham are the teams we need to beat. Then if we can't get a win against a few of the big guns (and i am including Wolves and Sheff Utd among those) then we will have to at least try to draw a few of them games.

This post is the final straw for me. I sometimes read your posts and chuckle at your trolling/perspective, but this is just laughable to the point that no-one can even entertain a conversation with you. You're going onto the ignore list right now.

"These aren't the games that will define our season". :rolleyes: Well done for repeating Dean Smith around 7,658 times. You'd be more subtle if you just changed your profile pic to the words "SMITH OUT".

14 minutes ago, BOF said:

Unfortunately yes they are, now...

We made them the games that will define our season when we let Southampton and poxy Bournemouth do the double over us.  We made them the games to define our season when we dropped points against Palace, West Ham, Burnley, Watford and Brighton.  Teams we 'needed to beat', but didn't beat.  We excused our late **** ups against Spurs, Liverpool & Arsenal because 'oh well, we're not supposed to win those games anyway and it would have been a bonus' all while the likes of Norwich on their day were somehow managing to beat Man City, Watford were hammering Liverpool and Man Utd and Wolves, Bournemouth were beating Man Utd and Chelsea, Burnley were beating Man Utd and Leicester.  All games that 'don't define their seasons' either, but they were winning them nonetheless.

We are THE only side in the division who have no significant scalp this season.  Add that to all the lower sides we've failed to take care of.  We are running out of the type of opponents that you say define our season, because we've already played them and not beaten enough of them, and now we're mostly left with the likes of Leicester.  We need to start upsetting some of the sides higher up the division this season or we will not be staying up.

Thankfully I think John McGinn will be crucial to that end, and the sooner he's back the better.  But unfortunately we no longer have the luxury of accepting defeat to sides like Leicester just because they're much higher in the league.  Our problem is most sides are.

But we still have 3 winnable games left (Newcastle, Palace and West Ham) which will take us to 34 pts.

If we can manage at least 3 draws we should be fine. Have a feeling 37 pts will be enough this season.

I honestly don't see this game as a must win

Edited by villalad21

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

But we still have 3 winnable games left (Newcastle, Palace and West Ham) which will take us to 34 pts.

If we can manage at least 3 draws we should be fine. Have a feeling 37 pts will be enough this season.

And where do the 3 draws come from?  Games against the likes of Leicester.  Which is precisely my point.  These games now define our season.

• Like 1