Carney Chukwuemeka

Villan4Life

I wish him the best, one day we could be cheering him on for England.. who knows?

I think the club choice is not the best mainly due to many players not making It at Chelsea.

Mason Mount & Reece James are Chelsea boys, and have been all their lives, so they were always going to get that extra push.

He will get a lot of loans, and could forge a career at a decent level, but it will be a case of whether the fee was too little or too high for someone unproven.

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

It’s a £10m fee we receive now and another £10m if he breaks into the Chelsea first team.

I’m not complaining, it’s much better to get £10m in now than lose him for nothing in 12 months, especially when he’s not going to make much of an impact on the first team in that time. 

I was more questioning whether the gushing over Purslow was really so justified. The fee was more than Milan and Barcelona were offering (which is why we went with Chelsea’s offer) but he was also a very hot prospect who was the subject of a bidding war. 

I don't know the particulars of the contract but I have read 15m upfront and 5 on addons. As for gushing over Purslow, I am not doing that. I am using the example to highlight the stupidity in trying to run down Purslow for mismanagement.

• Like 1

Just now, May-Z said:

Meh. It's they way we need to work now. 

Make/buy good youth products and sell for a hefty profit. Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City have been selling fringe players for £15m for years (somehow)

We've snatched many youth players from other teams so we can't really grumble at a bigger fish doing it to us. 

As long as we get the money in for anyone that is taken from us then that can be reinvested and the cycle continues.

That’s the sensible way to see it. 

Be interesting  if the truth ever comes out regarding the broken promises he was (reportedly) made by a certain ex manager who would therefore take a fair portion of the blame for Carneys exit… 

54 minutes ago, blunther said:

By all accounts he was offered a very lucrative contract as soon as he was eligible. He didnt want it.

Guarantees of playing time?? **** that! You earn your place on the pitch, the same as everybody else. He had plenty of chances to make himself undroppable and don't take them, which is fine because he's young and no one should expect too much. He'd have had more chances this year. He didn't want that, so we got £20m for him. We'd have got nowhere near that through a tribunal. Very smart business. 

For what it's worth I've never been that sold on him being a guaranteed superstar. He's so physically ahead of most kids his age, which is a massive help in kids football. It does you no good in the step up to men's football though. He's got a long way to go and I wonder if he'll have the drive a top player needs now he's got a six year bumper contract and is set for life. 

Chelsea offered him the pay/guarantees he wanted and were willing to throw us 15-20m to make the deal happen quicker. 

I think we underestimated the interest from else where. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vancvillan said:

I'm loathe to post and bump this thread again but let's just let this one slide into the abyss.

Not much chance of that happening, This thread will most likely relegate the Grealish thread :D

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, villanmac said:

I do think he'll do better there then he would with us weirdly. In a team who can dominate the ball and are inevitably up against weaker opposition he will get more opportunity to show his ball carrying/attacking ability with better players feeding him the ball. 

I can see more of those Burnley away style cameos where he comes on against tired legs at 2-0 and he's getting some assists, goals late on. He's a million miles away from starting games, Tuchel takes no prisoners with players with the tactical side but he'll probably be more willing to embrace that side of the game because he's at Chelsea and not Villa.

We have no idea how that potential will unfold....its just a guessing game.....Villa just cashed in, and went for reality v Gamble.

Chelsea has had some great kids come through their academy, but few have made it in their first team as regulars.....Abraham, Hudson Odoi, Loftus Cheek, Gilmour, Declan Rice,Gallagher ( still to be established)all to date have not nailed down a first team slot.

Sure rotation is the name of the game, but Carney has jumped out of the frying pan and in to the fire, imo......I couldn't see him nailing a first team sllot at Villa, never mind Chelsea.

Still is all about gambles and we could so,so easily have been settling for Compensation.

We didn't want players hanging around stinking the place out, who didn't want to be there.....commitment is a huge part of a players make up and when they are not commited they are a lesser player, by definition.

We all thought Jack would do better at Man city ( me included) with all that talent surrounding him.....but so far, not so.

Its anyones guess, what the future holds for him.....but while all the conjecture rages, the club have acted....and in my view, acted with prudence.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

i don't think they are overpaying 

and with him being english and inevitably going to play for the U21s if they cut their losses in 2 or 3 years they'll recover the £20m, its completely risk free for chelsea IMO

Or just wait 6 months and get him for £300k… 🤷‍♂️

14 minutes ago, Villastine said:

Chelsea offered him the pay/guarantees he wanted and were willing to throw us 15-20m to make the deal happen quicker. 

I think we underestimated the interest from else where. 

I don't....I don't think we was prepared to take the gamble they did.

Only time will tell, who was right.

I think it's a fair price as he is unproven. At this point, he could just as easily be worth 70m in a few years as become the next Danny Crowley, and get sold to a lower league team for a couple of million. 

Edited by Made In Aston

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

On general would be a great move but Purslow said he was the best 18 year old in England

I think Purslow should shut up if honest but also I think Carney wanted to stay his brother and his friends are here. It is what it is

How has what Purslow affected what you describe as a great move and why should he shut up?

Purslow is a public facing representative of Villa who expressed a polite and positive opinion knowing it could form a small part of  Carney staying or getting top value for him leaving.

Carney really isn’t a stick some want to beat Purslow with.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, brommy said:

How has what Purslow affected what you describe as a great move and why should he shut up?

Purslow is a public facing representative of Villa who expressed a polite and positive opinion knowing it could form a small part of  Carney staying or getting top value for him leaving.

Carney really isn’t a stick some want to beat Purslow with.

If purslow knew it then so did every scout in the country 

Chelsea didn't discover chuk when purslow opened his mouth 

• Like 3

Most of Chuk's reputation is from youth international football and that is what justified the high price. When we bought Doug, he was on the back winning the 2019 Toulon Tournament with Brazil and he was voted player of the tournament. We also purchased him from City. Yes, he is worth a few quid now mega money.

Just now, villa4europe said:

If purslow knew it then so did every scout in the country 

Chelsea didn't discover chuk when purslow opened his mouth 

Agreed. Not sure of your post’s relevance to mine though?

Â