Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

SKY claim Newcastle's prospective new owners want to sign defender Kalidou Koulibaly from Napoli, if their takeover goes through. He's valued at £69.8m, so it seems like Manchester City did, they plan to ignore FFP and just buy a team, at whatever the cost.

Looks like we will need to spend whatever money we have, very cannily if we do stay up. That should be our aim in any case, in my opinion, in what will be a buyer's market. I think we could get two decent PL quality signings for less than £69.8m. All our recruitment team need to do, is to find them and make the deals happen...

Rashica would be one hell of a coup seems that he’s been linked with Plop, Dortmund and RB Leipzig. Can’t see it myself but he one can but hope as he is the next level in quality we so desperately need. 

• Like 1

I find it difficult in watching continental football, with a view to spotting players.....I think its an added risk.

I find the English game far more aggressive and less time on the ball to think......so the behind the scenes work from a top coach is all the more crucial, to bring the best out of them.

When they come here its a culture shock.....there is always exceptions of course.

40 minutes ago, TRO said:

I find it difficult in watching continental football, with a view to spotting players.....I think its an added risk.

I find the English game far more aggressive and less time on the ball to think......so the behind the scenes work from a top coach is all the more crucial, to bring the best out of them.

When they come here its a culture shock.....there is always exceptions of course.

As Arsene Wenger famously said it takes every foreign import 6 months to adapt to the Premier League before us fans see the very best of them, I think he was right

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thabucks said:

Rashica would be one hell of a coup seems that he’s been linked with Plop, Dortmund and RB Leipzig. Can’t see it myself but he one can but hope as he is the next level in quality we so desperately need. 

We'd be hoping the advantage we have is being able to offer some of these players guaranteed first team football (As well as decent wages), and being a part of building a good team (Even if we are just a stepping stone for a couple of years). At those other clubs, they might be bench warmers.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We'd be hoping the advantage we have is being able to offer some of these players guaranteed first team football (As well as decent wages), and being a part of building a good team (Even if we are just a stepping stone for a couple of years). At those other clubs, they might be bench warmers.

I know it was only pre season but we dominated RB Leipzig last Summer, I was very optimistic after that match

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I know it was only pre season but we dominated RB Leipzig last Summer, I was very optimistic after that match

I’m not sure you can say we dominated that match. Won it, yes, but dominate we did not. If memory serves me well I remember Heaton playing a blinder. 

Just now, OxfordVillan said:

I’m not sure you can say we dominated that match. Won it, yes, but dominate we did not. If memory serves me well I remember Heaton playing a blinder. 

I agree to an extent, we looked great on the counter attack and started the season in great form but as usual with Villa, it turned out to be a false dawn

Is Emil Forsberg not gettable?

Vastly experienced for Sweden and in Germany but hasn't been as much as a regular for them this season (started both Spurs games on the bench). Was talking of perhaps moving on in January and a few weeks ago.

Guess some of the top 6 would be interested but only as a squad player as he isn't better than likes of Son and Rashford.

To me that's the sort that likes of Newcastle would be interested in so I'd like us to be aswell if we have genuine ambitions to be playing in europe in 2-3 years time. Yussuf Poulsen aswell is a decent player in front 3, not the best goalscorer but a nuisance, reminds me of Dirk kuyt a bit. He's another that hasn't been starting for them much since Jan and would be obvious upgrade on likes of El Ghazi.

People were actually talking about making a move for Timo Werner not so long ago so don't see it as that unrealistic to talk about players he's actually keeping out of the team.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Vastly experienced for Sweden and in Germany but hasn't been as much as a regular for them this season (started both Spurs games on the bench). Was talking of perhaps moving on in January and a few weeks ago.

Guess some of the top 6 would be interested but only as a squad player as he isn't better than likes of Son and Rashford.

To me that's the sort that likes of Newcastle would be interested in so I'd like us to be aswell if we have genuine ambitions to be playing in europe in 2-3 years time. Yussuf Poulsen aswell is a decent player in front 3, not the best goalscorer but a nuisance, reminds me of Dirk kuyt a bit. He's another that hasn't been starting for them much since Jan and would be obvious upgrade on likes of El Ghazi.

People were actually talking about making a move for Timo Werner not so long ago so don't see it as that unrealistic to talk about players he's actually keeping out of the team.

I’ve said this before but you have good knowledge, I don’t think we’d be able to get Werner, he’ll go to a Champions League club. Poulsen isn’t a bad shout though, Forsberg is another one. Could you think of more names that we could get realistically?

24 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Forsberg has sadly been absolutely plagued by injuries for almost 2 seasons. It's one minor injury after another meaning he has not been fully match fit for almost 2 years.

I'd be tempted to take a gamble on his as IF he can stay fit he is really quite good and at "only" £20m he would be a bargain.

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Forsberg has sadly been absolutely plagued by injuries for almost 2 seasons. It's one minor injury after another meaning he has not been fully match fit for almost 2 years.

I'd be tempted to take a gamble on his as IF he can stay fit he is really quite good and at "only" £20m he would be a bargain.

Only £20m? I guess it is standard cost of a decent Premier League player these days, even if you do spend that amount, it doesn’t guarantee success 

He'd be in the 25-30m range I'd imagine. Similar to Rashica but Forsberg is a bit more proven at the top level. Can drift between midfield and attack like Grealish can actually. Even this season he's still scored 10 goals in league and cup.

Just the sort to me who has that nous and quality to elevate us a little given the level he's played at in last 3-4 years. Eventually we're going to have to sign some of those players and sooner the better for me.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He'd be in the 25-30m range I'd imagine. Similar to Rashica but Forsberg is a bit more proven at the top level. Can drift between midfield and attack like Grealish can actually. Even this season he's still scored 10 goals in league and cup.

Just the sort to me who has that nous and quality to elevate us a little given the level he's played at in last 3-4 years. Eventually we're going to have to sign some of those players and sooner the better for me.

They were willing to listen to offers from €20m according to the figure quoted in a Swedish article a few days ago as Leipzig are willing to sell him (and Yussuf Poulsen) due to age and them looking to rebuild a bit.

If it goes up to £30m I'd look elsewhere due to his age and the fact he's been injured so much in the last 2 years. Then Rashica would be a more interesting option (if he was interested).

I wanted us to get Robert Skov over Trez last summer as they went for similar fees and he seemed the better prospect. He hasn’t been as impressive this season statistically as the year before but he is in a harder league and still performed admirably. He can cover LB as well as the wings... 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

As Arsene Wenger famously said it takes every foreign import 6 months to adapt to the Premier League before us fans see the very best of them, I think he was right

maybe so.

but when we had a Premier League baptism, maybe so manyof them, was not such a clever move....time will tell.

2 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I wanted us to get Robert Skov over Trez last summer as they went for similar fees and he seemed the better prospect. He hasn’t been as impressive this season statistically as the year before but he is in a harder league and still performed admirably. He can cover LB as well as the wings... 

#Metoo

Edit: Robert Skov or Leandro Trossard were 2 players I hoped we'd go for.

Edited by sne

What has changed over the years is we used to target a player and buy him to fit a slot in a functioning team...in short we strengthened with Nous, not just throwing players carte blanche at a problem.

Now we only buy players who are available.....by defintion that means they are players other teams don't want or don't rate....its going to take an awful long time to build a good side with that format.

The better teams make the players availalble......as an example....Jack Grealish, we don't want him to go, but allegedly, Man Utd want him and will wear us down, until they get him....they will mentally seduce him, until they get their man.

We don't do that, we go for the easy option availability and subsequently get everyone's cast offs....its hard to build a team like that, it ends up like a patchwork quilt.

We should be sure of who we want and go after them in a more positive way, like a sniper as opposed to a farmer with a scatter gun.

Edited by TRO