Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

3 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Has it ? Getting to a cup final and not being cut adrift isn’t a bad season for me considering what was required last summer •

I think you’re spot on, we have a game in hand on the teams around us too

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

That's funny as for the most part the majority of the players we signed this season get criticised for their performance so far.

I'm just reiterating that at the moment a relegation and 19th position don't really look like money well spent!

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

That's funny as for the most part the majority of the players we signed this season get criticised for their performance so far.

I'm just reiterating that at the moment a relegation and 19th position don't really look like money well spent!

I think most of us would have shaken hands had we been offered 17th place at the start of the season and we're not too far off that yet. There was a big recruitment job needed last summer and we couldn't buy ready made PL players, with the amount of money that we were able to spend. Not all of the players that we bought have fully lived up to expectations (which was always likely), some have been inconsistent and we have missed big players like Mings and McGinn at vital times. If we can stay up, I will be happy if we can add say 4 starters to the team we now have, with the sort of money we needed to spend on treble that number of players last summer.      

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

We have a game in hand on the other teams around us though and some big players like Heaton, McGinn and Wesley coming back from long term injuries. If we finish 17th, we’ve had a great season with us getting to the Carabao Cup final too. If the worst does happen and we do get relegated, at least we’ll get to play the Blues again, edit- I didn’t see John’s post before I made mine

Edited by sir_gary_cahill
  • Like 1

All 'ifs and buts'...

Also we're not 17th we are 19th place and before Covid-19 arrived we looked like ending up bottom of the league.

Game in hand is blind faith we would get something from it and based on the form (before Covid-19) that is extremely unlikely.

Outside of Trez who has scored a few important goals for us our signings have been ok for me on the whole. I do have doubts he will be good enough long term more than any other player we signed but I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now. As a team we were always going to suffer from inconsistencies through the sheer volume of new players required. It’s a bit too simplistic & early to say overall whether last summers recruitment was a success or not IMO. Time will tell ...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

All 'ifs and buts'...

Also we're not 17th we are 19th place and before Covid-19 arrived we looked like ending up bottom of the league.

Game in hand is blind faith we would get something from it and based on the form (before Covid-19) that is extremely unlikely.

At least we’ve left ourselves with a chance of staying up, I have faith in the players and manager

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thabucks said:

Outside of Trez who has scored a few important goals for us our signings have been ok for me on the whole. I do have doubts he will be good enough long term more than any other player we signed but I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now. As a team we were always going to suffer from inconsistencies through the sheer volume of new players required. It’s a bit too simplistic & early to say overall whether last summers recruitment was a success or not IMO. Time will tell ...

I agree though I'd add Wes as a disappointment.  Wes still has room to improve but Trez is quite a bit short of what's required.  I really don't know what to expect this summer, right now I'd be surprised if anyone stumps up the cash for Jack in the circumstances (unless we do get relegated).  Loans to buy will be the most common method of transfer I reckon.  I'd put a fiver on Axel being one if I were a betting man, a Drinkwater-type player who isnt completely shot, a winger, back up full backs.  Could do with a bit of luck with injuries as well for once.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I agree though I'd add Wes as a disappointment.  Wes still has room to improve but Trez is quite a bit short of what's required.  I really don't know what to expect this summer, right now I'd be surprised if anyone stumps up the cash for Jack in the circumstances (unless we do get relegated).  Loans to buy will be the most common method of transfer I reckon.  I'd put a fiver on Axel being one if I were a betting man, a Drinkwater-type player who isnt completely shot, a winger, back up full backs.  Could do with a bit of luck with injuries as well for once.

I don’t Wesley can be written off yet, he has shown real potential at times in a Villa shirt, I just hope he can reproduce that form more consistently 

8 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

It's all well and good having the funds to spend but without the necessary scouting or coaching you end up in a relegation battle.

Sorry to say it but this season has been one unmitigated disaster!

The point you make is perfect.....having the money is only half of it.

you need to know how to spend it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

All 'ifs and buts'...

Two rounds prior to the pandemic we were above the relegation zone despite losing three games on the trot. We have spent two thirds of the season thus far above the red.

We will have arguably our second best player back in McGinn for the run in, and Samatta and Reina will have had more time to be clear with Smith as to the approach.

Edited by A'Villan

On 30/04/2020 at 11:47, thabucks said:

Just reading Real Madrid are Interested in Andre Zambo Anguissa from Fulham and on loan to Villarreal. Just shows you cannot solely and  fairly  judge a player especially foreign Based on their first season in England. I remember he showed fleeting moments of his ability but was part of a dysfunctional Fulham side.

IMO he is the type of player we need in the middle of the park .. Someone who is tall and athletic and can be a physical presence to aid Mcginn and Luiz to add balance and cover to the defence which Nakamba and Luiz have so far failed to do. 

Hi @thabucks. The P.F.S.A (Professional Football Scouts Association) have done an article on him:-

It's a good read!

https://thepfsa.co.uk/fulham-loanee-zambo-anguissa-shining-brightly-in-la-liga-with-villarreal/

When Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa arrived at Fulham prior to the 2018/2019 campaign, big things were expected from the former Marseille star.

Costing a whopping £30 million, Zambo Anguissa, who was expected to adapt to the rigours of the Premier League smoothly due to his size, physique and athleticism, unfortunately failed to prove himself in the capital.

With Fulham enduring a disappointing season full of tumult that ended in relegation, the exciting midfielder struggled to replicate his form from Ligue 1 in a struggling team. But he did, however, manage to offer many glimpses of his undeniable talent.

So when the transfer window reopened, the Cameroonian jumped at the chance to join Villarreal on loan. And he’s been entirely vindicated for his choice, for he’s been one of the standout midfielders in La Liga.

Really enjoying the role Yellow Submarines coach Javier Calleja has tailored for him, the 24-year-old’s encouragingly returned to his best this term. “There are several differences [between France and Spain],” he explained to Goal.

“With Olympique de Marseille, I played in a cup final, but it’s different from what I’ve experienced at Villarreal.

“At Marseille, I featured in a defensive role and was charged with keeping the team structure together so I had to consider a lot of things. At Villarreal, because of the quality of the players [we have] and the style of play, I am playing more as a box-to-box [midfielder], and I feel my abilities are utilised both defensively and offensively.”

So active on both sides of the game, he’s been a standout for the Champions League chasing Yellow Submarines. To start with his defensive work, and his pressing is a fine place to begin. Fierce in his harrying and responding rapidly to triggers like when a back pass is played, a ball towards the touchline is hit, if an opponent receives back to goal or in an open body posture, he’s an asset in this regard. One of the most elite pressers in La Liga, how he’s been able to impose himself on his adversaries to force turnovers has been key.

Further aspects of his ball winning prowess come from how he judges when to jump out and how he efficiently uses his cover shadow to block passing lanes behind him.

Tough to beat 1v1 due to his ability, reactions, reading of the play and long legs, Zambo Anguissa’s certainly not easily bypassed. Moreover, his anticipation and awareness also means he nips in with vital interceptions, plus knows when to drop back, shift across and when to support a teammate. Some prominent examples of his tactical intelligence come from how he’ll provide cover to his wingers and fullbacks to give them the freedom to go forward while he protects in case Villarreal are countered.

Very capable in aerial duels, this makes him an ideal man to attack and defend set pieces, plus help his team win headers from long balls and goal kicks. Indeed, this makes him a great target for aerial balls to aid his team in winning second balls.

Looking at his defensive numbers, his 4.44 interceptions per game, 2.94 tackles pg at 67.07% success, 2.80 won aerial duels pg and 4.12 ball recoveries pg depict his worth.

Upon observing his offensive output, and Zambo Anguissa’s been a tremendous performer here too. Two footed and able to play a wide range of passes, this has enabled him to be an integral part of Villarreal’s possession play. Due to his two footedness this opens up many angles for him to pass into and means he’s harder to close down. Hitting his passes accurately and usually to his teammate’s preferred foot, he’s great at finding his intended targets.

Proficient over short and medium distances and capable of striking long range switches or through balls, he has a pass for most situations. Whether it be intricate combination play, finding attackers between the lines or threading through balls (air and on ground) in behind or into the channels, there’s been much to admire about his work here.

So good at driving his team forward with his powerful running and dribbling, how he gains territory quickly and forces opponents out of shape has been full of upside. Able to beat his man or gain separation using his neat touches, by breezing past them or by using a feint or shoulder drop, he’s created plenty of danger for adversaries.

The fact he’s so strong on the ball only helps him withstand pressure, for he rides challenges superbly while remaining balanced or can win fouls in good areas.

Boasting a sound positional awareness and understanding with his teammates, Zambo Anguissa’s movement has been a highlight too. Knowing where to be to support attacks and connect play, he’s been excellent at generating numerical and positional superiorities for his team to progress upfield through. In addition, once in these 4v3 or 3v2 overloads, how he and his teammates form triangular or diamond structures has given many good passing options on their way to manipulating the opposition shape.

His impact hasn’t ended there, however, for he’s been great at surging into the open channel between central defender and full back when the fullback gets drawn out and performing rotations with his colleagues to unbalance backlines.

Lastly, the way he’ll drop deep into the half space has been interesting, with this allowing him to orchestrate play from deep under less pressure than in true central areas.

By his attacking numbers, he stacks up nicely too, as he’s completed 44.16 passes pg at 89%, 3.16 successful dribbles pg at 83.1%, 1.59 progressive runs pg, 0.49 shot assists pg and 6.16 accurate passes into the final third pg.

Still currently owned by Championship promotion hopefuls Fulham, his future has certainly been a topic of hot discussion, especially as Real Madrid have been credited with an interest.

While it appears unlikely he’ll ever play for Fulham again, the Cottagers should at least be able to recoup the transfer fee they spent on him, which wouldn’t be the worst outcome considering his initial struggles at Craven Cottage. Who knows, if a bidding war ensues, they might even be able to make a tidy profit on the gifted African who’s excelling in the Spanish top flight.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

Hi @thabucks. The P.F.S.A (Professional Football Scouts Association) have done an article on him:-

It's a good read!

https://thepfsa.co.uk/fulham-loanee-zambo-anguissa-shining-brightly-in-la-liga-with-villarreal/

He sounds like just the player I personally believe we are desperate for to add much needed cohesion to the centre mid role. 

How do you rate him? I’ve seen him play a few time and you could tell that if given time to settle he would've been a great asset. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

He sounds like just the player I personally believe we are desperate for to add much needed cohesion to the centre mid role. 

How do you rate him? I’ve seen him play a few time and you could tell that if given time to settle he would've been a great asset. 

I. heard of him... i've just never seen him play.

I'll try and watch few of his games in future.

Edited by Villan4Life

2 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

I. heard of him... i've just never seen him play.

I'll try and watch few of his games in future.

I’ve seen him play live quite a few times and he was usually impressive. I’ve been thinking he would be a good addition to the team as he would offer something different to what we currently have and I feel is missing. Was apprehensive in putting his name out there as he was poor at times in a bad Fulham team but having watched his extended Villarreal highlights and also old Marseille footage I’d be happy to take him at the right price if available. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thabucks said:

I’ve seen him play live quite a few times and he was usually impressive. I’ve been thinking he would be a good addition to the team as he would offer something different to what we currently have and I feel is missing. Was apprehensive in putting his name out there as he was poor at times in a bad Fulham team but having watched his extended Villarreal highlights and also old Marseille footage I’d be happy to take him at the right price if available. 

Have never seen  him play, but sounds like my type of player.

After McCormack, taking players off Fulham makes me nervous.

I find it hard to reconcile the fine appraisal he has got from playing abroad, with the reports from Fulham.....but perhaps he had no help at Fulham....difficult one.

but the type of things he is doing at Villareal, sounds perfect.

couldn't we take him on loan? With an option to buy.

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

After McCormack, taking players off Fulham makes me nervous.

I find it hard to reconcile the fine appraisal he has got from playing abroad, with the reports from Fulham.....but perhaps he had no help at Fulham....difficult one.

but the type of things he is doing at Villareal, sounds perfect.

I hear you and I was hesitant to put his name out but from reading up on him, his current and previous form I would definitely take him at the right price.

Alonso at Chelsea and Rodrigo from Valencia didn’t make much impression at Bolton but now look at them. it’s so hard to judge a player based on one season or their performance in a dysfunctional team. It’s easy being a bedroom keyboard scout not so easy in reality.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, thabucks said:

I hear you and I was hesitant to put his name out but from reading up on him, his current and previous form I would definitely take him at the right price.

Alonso at Chelsea and Rodrigo from Valencia didn’t make much impression at Bolton but now look at them. it’s so hard to judge a player based on one season or their performance in a dysfunctional team. It’s easy being a bedroom keyboard scout not so easy in reality.

I Couldn't agree more.

....and so often a single signing, when they are the missing link, can make so much difference to the balance.....and have a knock of effect to other players individual performances.

I remember when, Alex Cropley first arrived.....His inclusion, transformed the whole team....other players clearly started  playing better.

It really is all about signing the right players......we saw that, signing Tammy, albeit on loan.....the huge difference he made.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2