Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

On 28/04/2020 at 12:30, The Fun Factory said:

Our biggest problems is our defense. Before the lock down every game Villa went into I had absolute confidence that we would concede at least one goal. Our last clean sheet was versus Newcastle in November. And they barely attacked all game. Our forward play has been quite good and most of our midfielders have chipped in with goals which is a positive. If we had Samatta from the start of the season we would have a ton of goals.

On paper our goalkeeper and central defence looks ok so I could never decide who was to blame for the goals conceded. Our full backs aren't great (at defending at least, they show flashed of promise going forward)  and I don't think we have a effective defensive midfielder as Luiz is young and goes missing and I am not sure on Marvelous tbh. The much malinged Whelan did  a cracking job for in last season's run in and we needed to replace Glenda for a younger and quicker version in the summer and I don't think we really did.

You see the game in much the same way as I do, hence my agreement with the above.

I don't quite understand the fascination with creative players, when we already have one of the best and when SJM is back we have another one who can create.....sure the wingers are hit and miss, more miss than hit and that needs addressing.

But, We cannot create without the ball....and we spend much time without it.

Its a midfield General we need a Bremner or a Mortimer or a Barry.....who can disrupt and dictate the tempo of the game a player who can release the creative players, without having to keep coming back to regain possession......we did sign Luiz and Nakamba, but to date its not sufficient.

We need a dominant No 6 in the engine room....as a priority.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Well, it hasn't done a lot for Norwich....We also have one the most creative midfielders in the country and look where we are.

I think its barking up the wrong tree.....The stats tell us that our problem is defending and that means defending as a team.

If you study the best teams the CDM is an absolute priority in their teams.....with us its rarely talked about, its like a side show...You cannot create, without the ball, we are without the ball too often.....We need a ball winner a player to turnover and turn defence in to attack. John McGinn did a bit of it, but not a dedicated one, but you can clearly see from his absence how we have dipped.

A CDM is a paradox, because its where most attacks stem from, by winning the ball.

Any creative midfielder can only function to their best, when we have such a player or players in their side.

It is also interesting that some teams see fit to play 2 not just 1.

I think you are absolutely spot on regarding the DM mate.

I do however think we also need more creativity in the team as our game plan is get the ball to Jack as quick as possible, we need more creative outlets too imo.

With a new DM, add another new creative player plus Jack, Samatta and Mcginn back would give us a real shot of being a mid table team

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

Matty Cash is a really good player. I have rated him since he broke through at Nottingham Forest.

Darren Bent thinks we should go for him:-

Was he the guy about to sign for AC Milan before the transfer broke down?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Villa Stu said:

I do however think we also need more creativity in the team as our game plan is get the ball to Jack as quick as possible, we need more creative outlets too imo.

With a new DM, add another new creative player plus Jack, Samatta and Mcginn back would give us a real shot of being a mid table team

Don’t forget about Trezeguet, Davis, Wesley and El Ghazi too

7 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I hope neither of those are regular starters for us next season if we remain in the PL.

Samatta is already a huge upgrade on Wes and Davis and we desperately need a huge improvement when it comes to wide player. 

All things considered I think our biggest issue was our inability to trap and keep the ball and win the ball back in the attacking 3rd. This caused a lot of the other issues we had even down to our dismal defensive record.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sne said:

I hope neither of those are regular starters for us next season if we remain in the PL.

Samatta is already a huge upgrade on Wes and Davis and we desperately need a huge improvement when it comes to wide player. 

All things considered I think our biggest issue was our inability to trap and keep the ball and win the ball back in the attacking 3rd. This caused a lot of the other issues we had even down to our dismal defensive record.

Are we just going to discard them? I don’t think so, we paid £22m for Wesley, he’s a very young man but he has shown real signs of promise in my opinion, particularly against Norwich away, Arsenal away and Everton at home in the league. Davis still hasn’t started a Premier League match for us but whenever he has come on as sub, he has done well. His ability to hold the ball up and relieve pressure off the defence is great. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Was he the guy about to sign for AC Milan before the transfer broke down?

Saw they was linked with him in Jan. 

Antonee Robinson definitely broke down just before they signed him.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Are we just going to discard them? I don’t think so, we paid £22m for Wesley, he’s a very young man but he has shown real signs of promise in my opinion, particularly against Norwich away, Arsenal away and Everton at home in the league. Davis still hasn’t started a Premier League match for us but whenever he has come on as sub, he has done well. His ability to hold the ball up and relieve pressure off the defence is great. 

We play with 1 striker so even if/when they are back to fitness I doubt they'll be regular starters. Samatta will. 

Has Davis contract been extended yet? If not it's up in the summer. As for Wes I wasn't convinced, he looked clueless in how to play in a new system and but even if he learns that he is still likely 4-6 months away from fitness.

Trez I hope we manage to sell, he's a headless chicken and El Ghazi is fine as a sub for a lower half team but not starter. we need one or two upgrades on the flank.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

We play with 1 striker so even if/when they are back to fitness I doubt they'll be regular starters. Samatta will. 

Has Davis contract been extended yet? If not it's up in the summer. As for Wes I wasn't convinced he looked clueless in how to play in a new system and but even if he learns that he is still likely 4-6 months away from fitness.

Trez I hope we manage to sell, he's a headless chicken and El Ghazi is fine as a sub for a lower half team but not starter. we need one or two upgrades on the flank.

I think it’s good to have competition for places, it brings out the best in players. You think that Wesley looked clueless? Why?  Whenever Davis has come on as sub, he has looked great. Samatta has taken to it like a duck to water, his ability in the air is great and he is very brave. I think Trezeguet and El Ghazi are good enough for us

35 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Personally i I think that el ghazi is lacking confidence due to missing a few sitters and needs to find consistency in his form, maybe some real competition would do that for him. Wes and Davis are not yet the finished article. Wes needs to use his frame more (like against Burnley) but we also need to get closer to him as a team. Davis is an absolute powerhouse who can hold off defenders without trying, but he needs to add goals to his game. Trez for me hasn’t worked out yet, I’m not too sure on him. He shows glimpses but then has an absolute stinker. I think we need more from our wide areas.

10 minutes ago, sne said:

Has Davis contract been extended yet? If not it's up in the summer. As for Wes I wasn't convinced, he looked clueless in how to play in a new system and but even if he learns that he is still likely 4-6 months away from fitness.

Yes mate. The club triggered the option of a 12 month extension in Davis contract

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think it’s good to have competition for places, it brings out the best in players. You think that Wesley looked clueless? Why?  Whenever Davis has come on as sub, he has looked great. Samatta has taken to it like a duck to water, his ability in the air is great and he is very brave. I think Trezeguet and El Ghazi are good enough for us

Competition for places is crucial, no doubt about it. But we need to improve on what we have. Some of our starters need to be made squad players or moved on if we are to improve.

You think we should just be content with going into next season with the squad we have? If so I disagree. 

And yes, I think Wesley struggled a lot with understanding his role as a lone striker. He played as if he was part of a two man attack, often drifting out wide meaning we had no one in the box and it was clear that non of his teammates where in on this "tactic" as a lot of out actual tactic had us hitting a lot of crosses into an empty box. I think it was very easy to spot that Wesley had not played organized football growing up as he lacked a lot of the understanding I expect a professional player to have. I hope he's a quick learner.

I don't think Trez is good enough for us and I don't think El Ghazi is good enough to be a starter which was the initial point made.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Villa Stu said:

Personally i I think that el ghazi is lacking confidence due to missing a few sitters and needs to find consistency in his form, maybe some real competition would do that for him. Wes and Davis are not yet the finished article. Wes needs to use his frame more (like against Burnley) but we also need to get closer to him as a team. Davis is an absolute powerhouse who can hold off defenders without trying, but he needs to add goals to his game. Trez for me hasn’t worked out yet, I’m not too sure on him. He shows glimpses but then has an absolute stinker. I think we need more from our wide areas.

Yes mate. The club triggered the option of a 12 month extension in Davis contract

Nice, hope he stays fit, if so he'll be a solid squad option.

5 minutes ago, Villa Stu said:

A lot of fans near me where I sit get on El Ghazi’s back because according to them, he doesn’t put a defensive shift in but I don’t think is the primary job of a winger. Yes, they need to give their full back cover but they need to express themselves offensively. I think that’s how Smith’s mind works. Has it been confirmed that Davis has signed for another 12 months?

14 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

A lot of fans near me where I sit get on El Ghazi’s back because according to them, he doesn’t put a defensive shift in but I don’t think is the primary job of a winger. Yes, they need to give their full back cover but they need to express themselves offensively. I think that’s how Smith’s mind works. Has it been confirmed that Davis has signed for another 12 months?

I hear all the same stuff from other fans mate and then the same people want players like Bowen (who I also think is quality) but he also offer very little defensively. El ghazi does need to add that consistency though and I would want to upgrade in that position and let the 2 compete

yes mate it was confirmed last week that we had triggered the option

1 minute ago, Villa Stu said:

I hear all the same stuff from other fans mate and then the same people want players like Bowen (who I also think is quality) but he also offer very little defensively. El ghazi does need to add that consistency though and I would want to upgrade in that position and let the 2 compete

yes mate it was confirmed last week that we had triggered the option

I also think that Bowen is excellent but he would have cost a lot of money. I didn’t see it on the official site that Davis had signed for another year

11 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I also think that Bowen is excellent but he would have cost a lot of money. I didn’t see it on the official site that Davis had signed for another year

He would have cost a lot mate but that’s football nowadays.

I must admit I got carried away by the Rashica links but I look back now and think why would a player that good want to come here

Just now, Villa Stu said:

He would have cost a lot mate but that’s football nowadays.

I must admit I got carried away by the Rashica links but I look back now and think why would a player that good want to come here

It’s sad but true- money, money and more money :(

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Villa Stu said:

You are correct about another quality outlet, "give the ball to Jack" is our mantra and he can't do it all.

Souness spoke about this today and said it's too much pressure on one player, he didn't mention Grealish but another player.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

Bang on the Money.

One of the worst teams in terms of defending so deep before turnover.

Edited by TRO