Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

If we stay up we need to spend 60-120m on three players, 1 x left side W/IF, 1 x right side W/IF, 1 x DM.

Imo these are the 3 critical positions where we are short, and with 3 really good players in these positions we would be a totally different team.

And they need to be really good players, not prospects or maybe's.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

If we stay up we need to spend 60-120m on three players, 1 x left side W/IF, 1 x right side W/IF, 1 x DM.

Imo these are the 3 critical positions where we are short, and with 3 really good players in these positions we would be a totally different team.

You honestly think that we’re going to spend £60-£120m on 3 players? Personally, I don’t think we’re even close to being in a position to do that yet. Even if we do spend that much money on 3 players, it doesn’t guarantee success. Look at Everton as an example, they sent £67.5m on 2 players (Moise Kean and Alex Iwobi) and they can’t even get in their first team

11 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

You honestly think that we’re going to spend £60-£120m on 3 players? Personally, I don’t think we’re even close to being in a position to do that yet. Even if we do spend that much money on 3 players, it doesn’t guarantee success. Look at Everton as an example, they sent £67.5m on 2 players (Moise Kean and Alex Iwobi) and they can’t even get in their first team

I can see us spending 120m if we stay up, but granted we probably wont spend 120m on 3 players, but still, regardless of money spent, we need 3 very good players in those positions.

Imo they are our 3 weakest positions this season, and fixing them would make a HUGE difference.

Edited by MaVilla

12 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I can see us spending 120m if we stay up, but granted we probably wont spend 120m on 3 players, but still, regardless of money spent, we need 3 very good players in those positions.

Imo they are our 3 weakest positions this season, and fixing them would make a HUGE difference.

Hypothetical situation here, say if we stay up and Grealish says he wants to stay for 1 more season, unlikely scenario I know, would you still pay £40m for a left winger? Could you think of names for those 3 players that you mentioned?

46 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Hypothetical situation here, say if we stay up and Grealish says he wants to stay for 1 more season, unlikely scenario I know, would you still pay £40m for a left winger? Could you think of names for those 3 players that you mentioned?

I assumed that grealish would stay when I commented.

If grealish left I would propose different requirements.

I would also propose that grealish only went out wide because we realised the wide players we had just weren't good enough. 

I reckon if our wide players were good enough grealish would have played in the middle. (With mcginn and another MC)

Although i would be ok with grealish staying out wide as long as we bought an additional midfielder to compensate for the fact he wasnt playing there.

Honestly, no I dont have any names to propose, all the ones i might state are names we have all discussed, and may or may not be good enough.

My overall point was, that if we dont fix those 3 problem areas for next season we will continue to struggle, now if it means that we buy less well known players and they succeed, great, my point is more we literally cannot afford to buy players in those positions that dont succeed, or we are probably going to be in a relegation fight again.

This all assumes we will still be in the prem next season ofc.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Thanks 1

Sanson, Rashica, Caleta-Car and Mateta would be the dream and add much needed Step up in quality... We just need to stay up and then fine tune the squad. 

Edited by thabucks

On 21/03/2020 at 09:02, ferguson1 said:

Finally, and this is me being greedy really, but if Man Utd spend big on anyone, what about a cheeky bid for Axel? Would love to have him back in our squad. 

Sadly, Axel was sold a pup by Manchester United, when he signed a new contract with them, believing that he would get an opportunity to establish himself in their first team. It predictably didn't happen for him and by signing that contract, he prevented us having the chance to bring him in, like we did Tyrone. I doubt that we will be in for him again now or that they would be prepared to let him leave for a reasonable price, if we did. Like Bosnich, all those years earlier, unfortunately he chose to go back to them, rather than to stay where he was really wanted and appreciated.

Edited by John
  • Like 2

On 21/03/2020 at 19:20, MaVilla said:

Agree with the positions mate. I would like to see us go for Ryan Fraser (Free), benrahma and a player like Biling or Doucoure.

i wouldn’t be against us going for axel, Lallana and a fullback as well

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Villa Stu said:

Agree with the positions mate. I would like to see us go for Ryan Fraser (Free), benrahma and a player like Biling or Doucoure.

i wouldn’t be against us going for axel, Lallana and a fullback as well

It's highly unlikely Fraser would join us. He's leaving Bournemouth because he wants to push on in his career. I know we as fans would argue Villa are a bigger club than Bournemouth and a step up, but the fact is currently we are below them in the table after three years in the Championship. I just don't see a player like Fraser wanting to join us at this stage in the rebuild. Benrahma on the other hand could be a real possibility if Brentford were to stay in the championship.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Fraser is the type of signing we should avoid at all costs. He has had a putple patch in his career but thats it. Has been abysmal this season 

Why should we avoid him? He is one of the best players in a team that is above us, I’d take him. He hasn’t even reached his peak age as a footballer, he is only 26 years old, I’d take him 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Why should we avoid him? He is one of the best players in a team that is above us, I’d take him. He hasn’t even reached his peak age as a footballer, he is only 26 years old, I’d take him 

He has publicly admitted he didn't try for the 1st 4 months of the season. Had too many rocket polishers at Villa Park

1 hour ago, RichiBoi11 said:

It's highly unlikely Fraser would join us. He's leaving Bournemouth because he wants to push on in his career. I know we as fans would argue Villa are a bigger club than Bournemouth and a step up, but the fact is currently we are below them in the table after three years in the Championship. I just don't see a player like Fraser wanting to join us at this stage in the rebuild. Benrahma on the other hand could be a real possibility if Brentford were to stay in the championship.

Admittedly it is unlikely that he would come here but if we stay up, we have the backing to make the step up and push on as a club. It would be a hard sell but it’s not impossible to lure that calibre of player and to be honest we need that quality of player to progress

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/03/2020 at 21:19, MaVilla said:

I assumed that grealish would stay when I commented.

If grealish left I would propose different requirements.

I would also propose that grealish only went out wide because we realised the wide players we had just weren't good enough. 

I reckon if our wide players were good enough grealish would have played in the middle. (With mcginn and another MC)

Although i would be ok with grealish staying out wide as long as we bought an additional midfielder to compensate for the fact he wasnt playing there.

Honestly, no I dont have any names to propose, all the ones i might state are names we have all discussed, and may or may not be good enough.

My overall point was, that if we dont fix those 3 problem areas for next season we will continue to struggle, now if it means that we buy less well known players and they succeed, great, my point is more we literally cannot afford to buy players in those positions that dont succeed, or we are probably going to be in a relegation fight again.

This all assumes we will still be in the prem next season ofc.

But your point still centres around our ability to buy....right......all the money in the world, won't do that.

If we continue with a low grade of talent spotter, then we have to be prudent with money, because we can't afford to keep signing near misses, who only produce a portion of what we want.

somewhere between the talent spotter and the coaching, we are not getting it right on the field.

On 03/04/2020 at 09:40, sne said:

Linked with Marseille playmaker Maxime Lopez.

He's tiny so I'm sure some will be furious if we sign him...

Its not so much his size, but the inability to stay on the ball......players in this league take you out....if his ability can resist that, then fine.

but as the old saying goes....A good big un, usually beats a good little un.

but if you get players like aguero, maradona, messi or Best.......all players who could resist a challenge, then size is immaterial.

if Lopez can resist a challenge on his ability.....then his size too will be immaterial.

On 22/03/2020 at 21:52, thabucks said:

Sanson, Rashica, Caleta-Car and Mateta would be the dream and add much needed Step up in quality... We just need to stay up and then fine tune the squad. 

"We just need to stay up" is the hugest task we have..and it has many conotations.

many of our players lack the nose to sniff out danger, fail to pick up their man etc, etc,

defensively, we are woeful.....and yet still, looking for fancy names from the continent.

These kind of players are ok, when there is a platform / defensive structure for  them to thrive in.....not ditching their natural game to casually get their foot in.

Firstly, we need steel.....to deny the opposition......then and only then, can we add the sugar coated play we all enjoy......we have done it the wrong way around.

we have 2 full backs who allow crosses to come in to the box at an alarming rate...check the Southampton game, as just an example...it was shocking.

We need to get our priorities right.

Edited by TRO

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

"We just need to stay up" is the hugest task we have..and it has many conotations.

many of our players lack the nose to sniff out danger, fail to pick up their man etc, etc,

defensively, we are woeful.....and yet still, looking for fancy names from the continent.

These kind of players are ok, when there is a platform / defensive structure for  them to thrive in.....not ditching their natural game to casually get their foot in.

Firstly, we need steel.....to deny the opposition......then and only then, can we add the sugar coated play we all enjoy......we have done it the wrong way around.

we have 2 full backs who allow crosses to come in to the box at an alarming rate...check the Southampton game, as just an example...it was shocking.

We need to get our priorities right.

Yes all them shitty defenders from the continent, maybe we should try sign some overpriced British "steel" like John Stones or Michael Keane. 

Dont think any British defender be in the 10 or 20 in the world. 

Looking down on foreign players is a bit Brexity if ask me

• Like 1