Relegation thread

Knutserov13

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

To be fair after that, his ideas then went missing then as he had the same record as Villa in the last six games before the lockdown

watford.JPG

Quite right but the argument was a manager can't change anything in 9 games , at this point someone coming in and getting 4 wins and a draw from 5 would make us safe 

It's the good old fashioned new manager bounce and yes i'd take anyone ever short term to change our destiny at this point. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Impressive

Yeah they beat Liverpool 3-0 as you said and that was impressive so us beating Watford is impressive isnt it?  You cant have it both ways.....we beat a team that beat Liverpool.  Just using isolated arguments like you to back my point.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yeah they beat Liverpool 3-0 as you said and that was impressive so us beating Watford is impressive isnt it?  You cant have it both ways.....we beat a team that beat Liverpool.  Just using isolated arguments like you to back my point.

Sorry to break it to you Nick but we won't beat all the teams around us. Simply isn't happening.

We will have to get some unexpected result if we are to survive

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Sorry to break it to you Nick but we won't beat all the teams around us. Simply isn't happening.

We will have to get some unexpected result if we are to survive

You don’t know that we won’t beat all the teams around us, neither do I. We might. Who expected us to win 10 consecutive games last season to move from mid table to a guaranteed playoff spot? Nobody. Anything is possible. Nobody knows. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

You don’t know that we won’t beat all the teams around us, neither do I. We might. Who expected us to win 10 consecutive games last season to move from mid table to a guaranteed playoff spot? Nobody. Anything is possible. Nobody knows. 

Even if we do, look at our fixture list

- Chelsea (H)

- Newcastle (A)

- Wolves (H)

- Liverpool (A)

- Man Utd (H)

- Palace (H)

- Everton (A)

- Arsenal (H)

- West Ham (A)

Even if we win all the games we are expected to get something from which i guess are Newcastle, Palace and West Ham. that will only take us to 34 points

11 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

- Chelsea (H)

- Newcastle (A)

- Wolves (H)

- Liverpool (A)

- Man Utd (H)

- Palace (H)

- Everton (A)

- Arsenal (H)

- West Ham (A)

Even if we win all the games we are expected to get something from which i guess are Newcastle, Palace and West Ham. that will only take us to 34 points

Left out Shef United 

I'd be looking to take points at Liverpool who should be champs by then 

Interesting side note is Man City's case against UEFA is being herd Jun 8-10 if they win then that limits champs league to 2 places which gives teams in that fight less to go for.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

- Chelsea (H)

- Newcastle (A)

- Wolves (H)

- Liverpool (A)

- Man Utd (H)

- Palace (H)

- Everton (A)

- Arsenal (H)

- West Ham (A)

I don’t think any newly promoted club can expect to beat anyone, and I don’t. I also don’t think any team is unbeatable. It wouldn’t exactly be a shock if Villa beat Wolves or Man UTD at Villa Park, or Chelsea. Nothing is set in stone. 

• Like 1

When people list the games we should be targetting for wins can't understand why nobody ever lists Wolves, they've dropped a lot of points this season to teams near the bottom of the table and we have home advantage, also wonder if people overrate them because they hear 'champions league contenders', but the only reason that they're champions league contenders is because the usual top six LIverpool and Man City aside are having such poor seasons, normally Wolves' 43 points wouldn't see them anywhere near top six, at this same stage last season they'd be 13 points off top six for example. My point isn't that they're a bad team, they're obviously better than us, but it's definitely a game we can get something from they're not some super team, same with the Sheffield United game.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, useless said:

When people list the games we should be targetting for wins can't understand why nobody ever lists Wolves, they've dropped a lot of points this season to teams near the bottom of the table and we have home advantage, also wonder if people overrate them because they hear 'champions league contenders', but the only reason that they're champions league contenders is because the usual top six LIverpool and Man City aside are having such poor seasons, normally Wolves' 43 points wouldn't see them anywhere near top six, at this same stage last season they'd be 13 points off top six for example. My point isn't that they're a bad team, they're obviously better than us, but it's definitely a game we can get something from they're not some super team, same with the Sheffield United game.

Wolves is a counter attacking team. We play open, attacking football with risk.

Dean has to alter his style to get something against Wolves.

• Like 1

This season Brighton twice, Newcastle twice, Watford, Southampton, Everton (when they were in the midst of their bad run), Palace, and Burnley have all taken points off Wolves. They're  pretty much doing what they did last season, that is performing better against the better sides.

I really think it is going to be difficult to predict any results at the moment. Nobody knows which players will be showing up either physically or mentally and its hard to judge how motivated some players or teams will be. There could be some very interesting results in store.

• Like 1

Just now, gurru991 said:

I really think it is going to be difficult to predict any results at the moment. Nobody knows which players will be showing up either physically or mentally and its hard to judge how motivated some players or teams will be. There could be some very interesting results in store.

Dortmund and Schalke game proved it's all about fitness.

Schalke were nowhere close to the level of fitness the Dortmund players seemed to have.

In reality, this enforced break and all that comes with it has presented us with a pathway to survival that was seemingly beyond us. Whether we are able to take advantage of it is obviously debatable but the unique set of circumstances we are facing can only serve as a leveller when the competition eventually resumes. A combination of lack of fitness, lack of match practice, eerie atmospheres and fear will have an undoubted impact. I'm more optimistic we can stay up than I was after the Leicester defeat.

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

You might be right and some teams just won't bother if they are mathematically safe from relegation. 

Especially if the likes of Deeney arent playing either.  The number of players that refuse to play for personal reasons could have a material impact on relegation depending who they are and the impact on teams.....including us.

Given there's a strong chance the season could be suspended again I'd expect Villa to be lobbying hard to get the Sheff Utd game played as soon as possible so we're not in the position of being potentially relegated having played a game less.