Relegation thread

Knutserov13

8 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Arsenal would absolutely love to send Deeney and Co down. 

Maybe their fans.

But do you think their International players will give a shit?

The likes of Aubamyang and Lacazette are more than likely pretty neutral when it comes to a club like Watford.

Edited by villalad21

Just now, villalad21 said:

Maybe their fans.

But do think their International players will give a shit?

The likes of Aubamyang and Lacazette are more than likely pretty neutral when it comes to a club like Watford.

Arsenal players were pissed off big time after those comments. They've won every game against them since. Bellerin even spoke out on it. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Well that is relying on Watford losing two and getting at least one tonking. We could lose 3-0 to Arsenal quite easily. Sorry to be the harbinger of doom but we haven't beaten Arsenal at home since 1998. We have only beaten them once in the last 10 games, drawing one and losing 8. In that time we have scored 8 and conceded 26 (inlcuding 1 5 nil defeat and 2 4 nil defeats), with only 1 clean sheet. And they have just beaten Liverpool and Man City.  Sorry just injecting a bit of realism into the situation.

I agree.

But it's still possible that a loss and a win will be enough, especially if Watford get battered by Man City, which we all know is very possible.

It's even more possible that a draw and a win will be enough.

I'm not for one second this is easy, or likely. I'm just saying that I don't think two wins in a row is necessary.

I say this through gritted teeth but no, it doesn't matter if we lose tomorrow. It all then comes down to 'how many by' and 'how many do Watford lose by'. It's going to be extra tough to take if we get relegated on GD.

12 minutes ago, MCU said:

I say this through gritted teeth but no, it doesn't matter if we lose tomorrow. It all then comes down to 'how many by' and 'how many do Watford lose by'. It's going to be extra tough to take if we get relegated on GD.

It does though, even if we lose by one it becomes very difficult to finish above Bournemouth if they win next Sunday.

Edited by villanmac

23 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Arsenal players were pissed off big time after those comments. They've won every game against them since. Bellerin even spoke out on it. 

Could you remind me what happened here please?

Worried about the Arsenal game.

If we give them too much respect and let them have the football (ala Chelsea) then we will get hammered. Their attack is great, it's their defense that is/was their weakness.

Another more aggressive showing like we did against Everton (sans the last 15 minutes) and we might scrape a draw - which would be huge!

6 minutes ago, villanmac said:

It does though, even if we lose by one it becomes very difficult to finish above Bournemouth if they win next Sunday.

Hence my GD reasoning. 

I said what I said on the basis we beat West Ham. Bournemouth can scrape a 1-0 and we can win 3-0. Assuming we only lose by 1 to Arsenal we'll be okay. It's barmy I know. Just trying to remain optimistic after my recent accusation of being the opposite.

I'd rather that we go into the Arsenal game as if it's the last game of the season and we need to win it in order to stay up, can't have the half hearted attitude that it doesn't matter if we lose as long as we don't get thrashed, play well and catch them on an off day and we might just get our first win against one of the better sides and put ourselves in an excellent position going into the last day of season.

That said I'm not sure why so many are taking it for granted that Bournemouth are going to beat Everton, won't be an easy game for them.

• Like 2

Everton have one of the best home records in the league still so it will be tough for them but they've shown a lot of fight so I wouldn't be surprised if they beat Everton. It's why I think we need at least a draw tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, useless said:

I'd rather that we go into the Arsenal game as if it's the last game of the season and we need to win it in order to stay up, can't have the half hearted attitude that it doesn't matter if we lose as long as we don't get thrashed, play well and catch them on an off day and we might just get our first win against one of the better sides and put ourselves in an excellent position going into the last day of season.

That said I'm not sure why so many are taking it for granted that Bournemouth are going to beat Everton, won't be an easy game for them.

we seemed to approach everton as almost a must win. i do worry that the bournemouth result takes some pressure off and effort levels drop as a result. if watford get spanked, i hope the players are not made aware of it. presumably phones are banned in the changing room?

1 minute ago, omariqy said:

Everton have one of the best home records in the league still so it will be tough for them but they've shown a lot of fight so I wouldn't be surprised if they beat Everton. It's why I think we need at least a draw tomorrow.

A draw tomorrow would be a fantastic result. 

A major worry for me is where the goals are going to come from against West Ham. They have two huge CBs and as a team are very good in the air. Pretty much the only way we can score at the moment is from set pieces and a good Conor delivery. They seem very well suited to negate that threat. 

Hopefully we can catch Arsenal off guard having to play again so soon but who knows. They certainly have the quality to beat us comfortably. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Again. Different situation.

Wilder actually was able to spend a decent amount of money.

Dyche only got to spend around 8 mill. Relegation was very much expected.

Dyche's working conditions is more similar to what Dean had to deal with at Brentford. Difference is Smith never got out of the Championship with Brentford.

So, if we had kept the likes of Whelan, adomah, jedi, Hutton... Bought through one or 2 youngsters and added a small amount of players through freebies and loans... You would be accepting of relegation? Pull the other one. You absolutely wouldn't.

You have never given Smith any credit whatsoever, even during promotion. If this had been the case this year, you'd be calling for Smith out still. Unless we had done a sheff utd, you'd be calling for his head. He CANNOT win with you. 

17 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Could you remind me what happened here please?

Back in 2017 Deeney said Arsenal were soft and lacked 'cojones'. He also said Bellerin's hair was getting in his way. They haven't beaten Arsenal since and Bellerin tweeted that Deeney must have had hair in his way when he missed his pen against them. 

Results since that comment:

Lost 3-0 away

Lost 2-0 away

Lost 1-0 home

Drew 2-2 home

• Thanks 1

I love our rose tinted glasses on here. People do realise it’s no forlorn conclusion Watford will get stuffed by city, they could even potentially take points. We will draw or beat Arsenal even though Watford have no chance against them on the last day. And then to top it off we will get a result away against West Ham even though everyone has been saying they have a far superior squad than ours And shouldn’t be in a relegation battle. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hobbit Feet said:

I love our rose tinted glasses on here. People do realise it’s no forlorn conclusion Watford will get stuffed by city, they could even potentially take points. We will draw or beat Arsenal even though Watford have no chance against them on the last day. And then to top it off we will get a result away against West Ham even though everyone has been saying they have a far superior squad than ours And shouldn’t be in a relegation battle. 

Of course, we've probably got a 10% chance of staying up but you've got to hope as a fan otherwise what is the point.