Relegation thread

Knutserov13

Assuming we beat Everton is a helluva big assumption though. Our record at Goodison is a bit shit and as much as Everton can affectively view the game as a dead rubber, we've been rubbish for the past 6 months and only with a woeful Palace team on holiday did we get anything. Everton are a better side.

And Arsenal will waltz through us.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

It's all irrelevant if we don't beat Everton. If we don't beat Everton then we won't be taking it to the last day of the season whatever happens in other games.

Technically that's not true, we need 6 points from the available 9 as a minimum.

In theory 6 could come from arsenal and WHam, but granted, its exponentially less likely we will get 6 points if 3 of them aren't against Everton.

13 hours ago, Hobbit Feet said:

They are not the force of old. They are exactly the type of team that it is best to play this time of the season...

As long as you are not us.

to have a chance against Arsenal you have to have muscle and aggression, and get after them....they don't like that......and we haven't.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Assuming we beat Everton is a helluva big assumption though. Our record at Goodison is a bit shit and as much as Everton can affectively view the game as a dead rubber, we've been rubbish for the past 6 months and only with a woeful Palace team on holiday did we get anything. Everton are a better side.

And Arsenal will waltz through us.

Palace have been better than Everton this season imo. Even if Everton were fighting for a Europa place I'd still be hoping to beat them. They still haven't found an identity, and aren't that seemingly imperious side at Goodison anymore, especially without the fans. Now they have nothing to play for. Players might be saving themselves for potential moves. We go snapping into tackles and putting them under pressure from the first whistle, do you see them keeping up?

FA Cup plays a big part in the relegation battle for me.

Man City v Arsenal

Chelsea v Man Utd 

Man City just rested players ahead of the Semis this weekend.

Our game v Arsenal could be easier if Arsenal win but likewise so could Watford v Man City or West Ham v Man Utd.

Watford also have Arsenal last game of the season.

Only chance of silverware for most although Man City and Man Utd still have European games after the FA Cup.

The only thing we need worry about though is ourselves just win every game we stay up!  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Man City v Arsenal

Chelsea v Man Utd 

Our game v Arsenal could be easier if Arsenal win but likewise so could Watford v Man City or West Ham v Man Utd.

Only chance of silverware for most although Man City and Man Utd still have European games after the FA Cup.

The only thing we need worry about though is ourselves just win every game we stay up!  

I wouldn't be worried about United. They have a mighty fight on their hands for a CL spot, especially since 5th doesn't get you one anymore. They'll be up for it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Palace have been better than Everton this season imo. Even if Everton were fighting for a Europa place I'd still be hoping to beat them. They still haven't found an identity, and aren't that seemingly imperious side at Goodison anymore, especially without the fans. Now they have nothing to play for. Players might be saving themselves for potential moves. We go snapping into tackles and putting them under pressure from the first whistle, do you see them keeping up?

Snapping in to tackles....us? Are you sure?

you must have the wrong team.

• Like 1

There are no safely predictable results at the moment, as was proven tonight and last weekend. The final relegation places, will be greatly influenced by which teams, that are down the bottom, play the most teams that are on the beach, or that decide to rest players. They do have to be able to take advantage of that, but it is going to be a bit of a lottery isn't it and where's the integrity in that? I feel sorry for the teams that do go down this season, playing out their crucial final games, in empty stadiums, without any vocal encouragement from their supporters. I just hope that we're not one of them. 🤞

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, hippo said:

The way I see it is were definitely down ...unless we stay up.

That's as good as my comment earlier that we have to beat Everton to have no chance of staying up !

6 minutes ago, John said:

There are no safely predictable results at the moment, as was proven tonight and last weekend. The final relegation places, will be greatly influenced by which teams, that are down the bottom, play the most teams that are on the beach, or that decide to rest players. They do have to be able to take advantage of that, but it is going to be a bit of a lottery isn't it and where's the integrity in that? I feel sorry for the teams that do go down this season, playing out their crucial final games, in empty stadiums, without any vocal encouragement from their supporters. I just hope that we're not one of them. 🤞

I hope so too john......sadly, i resigned my feelings  a while ago, and events have played out accordingly......i didn't see the crystal palace result coming, so i guess hope is the best chance, we have.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joshharris12 said:

How is it a nail in coffin they lost they got not 3 points not 2 neither 1 they got 0

Pretty obvious really.

Firstly they have a better GD than us and only dropped a -1 tonight so that makes it less likely that we'll beat them on GD if points are equal - which they may well be. Secondly, having watched the game, they played very well, should have beaten city with ease and, on that form, are now likely to beat both Southampton and Everton to finish on 37 points ...... if they do that, we are down !

6 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

likely to beat both Southampton and Everton to finish on 37 points ...... if they do that, we are down !

They played very well tonight but lacked the final touch that City had . Southampton will be harder to beat than Everton but I do agree that they will get points from both games , maybe 6 but definitely 4 . 

46 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Man City v Arsenal

Chelsea v Man Utd 

Not if West Ham beat Watford and Man Utd and Watford beat Man City and Arsenal 🙈😅

15 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

Secondly, having watched the game, they played very well, should have beaten city with ease

How do you figure? What prevented them from winning? City had 2 stonewall penalties denied and should have been out of sight. 

• Like 1