Relegation thread

Knutserov13

11 minutes ago, Spoony said:

We could sneak survival by virtue of just not being quite AS shit as Watford and Bournemouth. What’s the lowest amount of points a team has survived in the PL with?

34 points (baggies).

We need 7 points from 5 games to just equal the lowest ever tally...

We’re going to lose to Man United and Arsenal so we need 7 points from 3 games. We will have to win against West Ham, Palace and Everton when we can barely muster a shot let alone a goal just to get to 35 points. 
Not gonna happen is it 😞 

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Genie said:

At this stage our attackers are stealing a living. Their job is to score goals and no goals will relegate us.

Samatta, Davis, Jota, Trez all a waste of a shirt and a place on the wage bill.

I think we’re reasonable (for a bottom half club) in defence and ok in midfield for holding and defending. 
Those out wide and up front charged with creating and scoring goals are asleep at the wheel.

I'd push Jack out wide today as he's 10x the player Trezeguet is and as much as I don't learn from saying this, put Conor in midfield in his place. 

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

I'd push Jack out wide today as he's 10x the player Trezeguet is and as much as I don't learn from saying this, put Conor in midfield in his place. 

I agree on Hourihane, a threat from set pieces is a threat more than we have at the moment.

I’d play Jack or Mcginn centre forward. Won’t be worse than Davis/Samatta and might even score a goal.

On 04/07/2020 at 19:33, Sulberto21 said:

We got robbed at Arsenal. For their penalty Geundouzi was holding Trezeguet's shirt before falling over. For their 3rd goal they had a player closer than a metre to our wall. Then to top it off Sokratis caught the ball in the box so we should have won a penalty. I sincerely hope we smash them. 

We was playing better offensively ,then.

Edited by TRO

Just now, Johnnyp said:

Norwich, Bournemouth, Villa. Chalk it down. Watford will pull away. West Ham have bits of quality here and there, are picking up points and will get a few more. All done folks.

You underestimate how bad Watford have been. Just 1 point separates us.

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

You underestimate how bad Watford have been. Just 1 point separates us.

They've Norwich at home on Tuesday. They'll win that. Puts 4 points between them and us. That's clear water at the rate we are picking up points + our run in.

Just two points seperated us from safety five games ago, and despite how poor that the other teams have been, we still haven't been able to overcome that gap. And if either of us or Watford are the more likely to string a couple of wins together, or get a surprise win in one of the tougher fixtures then it's Watford, as they've shown that they can do that, whereas we haven't.

It won't take the most amazing set of results to see them seven points ahead of us by the time we play Palace, we're heading into the realms of needing a miracle to stay up now.

46 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Really wish people would stop quoting him.

I agree. I utilized the ignore function and my time spent on Villa Talk has definitely improved.

Just now, gurru991 said:

I agree. I utilized the ignore function and my time spent on Villa Talk has definitely improved.

I wish I could say it has. When people keep quoting, it pretty much eliminates the block effect.

• Like 1

Just now, Keyblade said:

I wish I could say it has. When people keep quoting, it pretty much eliminates the block effect.

Agreed. It does help though.

Just had a look on a Watford forum and they all seem to think they're doomed as well.

Farke has said that survival for them is unrealistic.

I hope that that's just mind games though.

Win in the week and they close the gap to Watford to just four points.

Surely they must still believe that they have an outside chance, at least enough of a chance to at least give it a good go.

Edited by useless

5 minutes ago, useless said:

Just had a look on a Watford forum and they all seem to think they're doomed as well.

Farke has said that survival for them is unrealistic.

I hope that that's just mind games though.

Win in the week and they close the gap to Watford to just four points.

Surely they must still believe that they have an outside chance, at least enough of a chance to at least give it a good go.

Norwich haven't a hope in hell. 

• Like 1

But whilst they've still got a chance mathematically, they still should be giving it a go, if they win in the week they will close the gap to us and Watford to just four points. That's the way they should be looking at it.

• Like 2

Very reminiscent of us under paul Lambert with one crucial difference

Under Lambert we were shit for weeks on end yet turn up against a big club and win, whilst now were shit for weeks on end and turn out a good performance against a big club and lose

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

Four years we got relegated after years of circling the drain.  I remember the abject humiliation that Aston Villa Football Club were to be relegated and to lose their premier league status like it meant something.

I remember I went to the last game at Arsenal. I remember the atmosphere that Villa brought to that commercial sterile atmosphere that is the Emirates.  It didn't matter that we had an awful season the Villa boys were going to have some fun anyway. That what brought me back to Villa and I got a season ticket again after a few years out. The fact that we could take over three thousand people away after that miserable excuse of a season felt like it meant something. I couldn't give up on  the Villa.

I remember the season after at Reading away. We had not won an away game for 15 months. It was midweek and we took over four and a half thousand. I remember the sheer joy of getting a late win.  It felt like after years of decline we were on our way back. It felt like it meant something. Then last season when Jack somehow dragged us into the playoffs with Dean as the coach. Finally seeing Villa win a big game at Wembley. It felt like we were back and it meant something.

This time I feel nothing. Not going to the game plays a part. But also it feels like whenever there has been an opportunity for Villa to progress in the last 30 years we have flunked it. The door marking success has passed us by so often  I don't think we will ever go through it again. Players, Managers,  CEO's,  and Owners seem to come and go and we always seem to be treading water or going backwards.

What is the ultimate goal? mid table premier league? Doesn't really get me excited.  A good cup run? We will lose to the first big team who can be bothered to play a full strength side.

Personally I feel nothing this time. That is probably worse than feeling angry or sad.

The game has changed - for many years people predicted the PL would become as exclusive club - dominated by 3 or 4 teams - and so it is....it's also pretty boring and sad IMO - Man City can leave there best players on the bench and still wallop someone out of sight.

The real worry would seem to be that staying in the prem would appear significantly more difficult than gaining promotion in the first place.

I don't have a crystal ball - but it wouldn't be a real surprise if we are amongst the championship front runners next season.....equally our next season in the PL will probably be a struggle...