Generic Virus Thread

villakram

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

They're a fragile coalition of muppets at the best of times, but without the right wing press? 

It's temporary. Soon as this is over they'll be back in line and all will be forgiven and forgotten. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

It's temporary. Soon as this is over they'll be back in line and all will be forgiven and forgotten. 

I'm usually wrong, but I can't help but think the combination of massive loss of life (much among Daily Mail readership demographics) and the entire country being bored at home and therefore not so busy they don't notice the politicians slipping out of taking blame for the situation - will take its toll. 

32 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

If these words removed win power again it will be the biggest brain washing event in history. 

The thing is I fully expect it. Boris hailed as some sort of hero when it's all over. 

Laura Kuenssberg will be on the 10 O'clock News first up praising him with 'The Months that Made Boris' in big letters behind her.

I wish I could share @Jareth's optimism that there would be some death total too large, but the speed and ease with which Trump has been able to pivot to 'actually, 200,000 dead would be a good result' makes me pretty pessimistic. However, if they think for a single moment he's toast, he'll be out and the media will be saying they wanted Javid or Hunt or Sunak all along.

An old favourite of the forum is up to his usual tricks I see:

Philippines president orders police to shoot dead anyone causing "trouble"

'Philippines president Rodrigo Duterte has been widely criticised by labour groups after he ordered police to shoot dead residents who cause “trouble” while quarantine rules are in place.

His violent threat follows the arrest of 21 people who had apparently taken to the streets of Metro Manila’s Quezon City to demand help from the government.

Police said the group had protested without a permit, though the website Rapper reported that it is not clear if all residents were demonstrating or if some were simply looking for food. There is growing concern about how the poorest people in the Philippines will survive a month-long lockdown that has been imposed on the country’s main Luzon island.

Many of its 48 million residents live hand-to-mouth and depend on daily work to feed their families.

The government has promised that 18 million low-income households will receive support, but this has not been released due to administrative hurdles.

On Wednesday night, Duterte told people to wait for assistance, adding: “Even if it’s delayed, it will arrive and you will not go hungry. You will not die of hunger.”

“I will not hesitate. My orders are to the police and military, also the barangay, that if there is trouble or the situation arises that people fight and your lives are on the line, shoot them dead. Do you understand? Dead. Instead of causing trouble, I’ll send you to the grave,” he said in a televised address.'

from: https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/apr/02/coronavirus-live-news-global-cases-latest-updates?page=with:block-5e8566c88f087564da1e42f5#block-5e8566c88f087564da1e42f5

11 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Laura Kuenssberg will be on the 10 O'clock News first up praising him with 'The Months that Made Boris' in big letters behind her.

I wish I could share @Jareth's optimism that there would be some death total too large, but the speed and ease with which Trump has been able to pivot to 'actually, 200,000 dead would be a good result' makes me pretty pessimistic. However, if they think for a single moment he's toast, he'll be out and the media will be saying they wanted Javid or Hunt or Sunak all along.

The fact trump isn't getting destroyed is the perfect example of the **** up, no accountability, tribalism, cult like status that politics has now become. 

I used to think we were so superior to that shit show over the atlantic. Brexit showed me we weren't and this will just confirm it even more. 

• Like 2

As the NHS collapses due to lack of PPE and no testing this government will collapse. I give it a month to 6 weeks . Stay indoors and stay safe, next to no health care is just around the corner with NHS staff either ill or self isolating.

9 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

There's usually a rally-round-the-flag effect in crises, I wouldn't read too much into specific numbers at this point.

For context, Chamberlain's popularity was just below 70% at the time he was forced to resign. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It’ll happen. It’s already happening. My gf has no interest in politics and she’s going on about how well Boris is doing. 

People rally around the leader on these situations. I said it before, Boris will come out of this better than ever. 

To be fair, there's absolutely no alternative in our 'democracy'. Labour should be out banging the drum and rallying support and opposition, yet I haven't seen jack from them since Corbyn said he wanted to be part of the shadow cabinet. They had the massive failures of the brexit campaign to beat the tories on - they didn't. Now they have the massive failures of the gang of pre-school boys in no.10 to hold them to account over - they're not.

Neville Chamberlaine would have danced circles around Boris Johnson and that says a lot. 

The countries around Europe who have strong leadership are currently doing well, Germany, Denmark, Norway, Iceland, Switzerland. The rest of the gaggle who are too afraid to commit to or were late to commit are seeing the consequences of their diddling leaders.

Edited by magnkarl
  • Confused 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

The fact trump isn't getting destroyed is the perfect example of the **** up, no accountability, tribalism, cult like status that politics has now become. 

I used to think we were so superior to that shit show over the atlantic. Brexit showed me we weren't and this will just confirm it even more.

Yeah, we're not in any way superior, not least because we're dealing with largely the same groups of people, from the big picture (the malign influence of all of Rupert Murdoch's media properties on English-speaking countries) down to the minor details (who was the Fox News host whose rant inspired Trump's 'full pews at Easter' idea? None other than erstwhile Cameron policy guru Steve Hilton).

• Like 1

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

I would argue that if Labour were criticising the Tories at every point in this situation, they would be hammered for politicising a crisis etc etc.

I don't think so. When Tory papers can criticize the party I'm pretty sure one of Labour's "astute" politicians could come to the fore and say "I hate to say we told you so" about the NHS. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I would argue that if Labour were criticising the Tories at every point in this situation, they would be hammered for politicising a crisis etc etc.

PPE for medics. Testing for medics. These 2 essential things are not happening.  Still. Concentrate on that, support the NHS, demand and demand that the tories save lives of NHS staff who are saving our lives. Do that and no one can call it politicising a crisis. 

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Labour have largely taken an entirely responsible approach to opposition during this crisis. They have given cautious praise where it is due for steps like Sunak's support for workers, in combination with urging both greater speed in implementation (which was too slow) and urging the government to fill in the gaps where they were missed out.

However, you're right, no matter what they do would be considered 'politicising a crisis'. The reality is that this is a uniquely present-focused moment, in which social distancing means it is possible for journalists to focus on just one story, coronavirus, and the current stage of the crisis means that everyone is focused on what the government is doing and saying, and there's no media attention left for any form of opposition. That will change, but it won't change rapidly.

1 minute ago, blandy said:

PPE for medics. Testing for medics. These 2 essential things are not happening.  Still. Concentrate on that, support the NHS, demand and demand that the tories save lives of NHS staff who are saving our lives. Do that and no one can call it politicising a crisis. 

Remember the letter from Corbyn that you split your sides over yesterday because it had a typo in it? 'Full PPE for medics and essential workers' was literally the first thing it demanded. This has been said, repeatedly, in Parliament.

Hopefully, when the next election comes around, this pandemic won't be at the front of people's minds anymore and people will remember what the Tory Party is all about. 

10 hours ago, Djemba_Villan said:

All this talk about Dominic Cummings earlier made me curious to read some of his blogs.

Interesting that he wrote about a likely future global pandemic (in 2019) due to lab errors in Asia. Read his blog here.

Conspiracy theorists dream.

It's a very interesting read indeed. All I can think of now is: the night time, is the right time, to fight crime - I can't think of a rhyme... 

Â