Generic Virus Thread

villakram

2 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

If people are looking for a bit of comedy to lighten the mood, Liz Truss is doing the briefing today!

Disappointingly, it looks as though it's going to be done by Manky Spatchcock instead.

tumblr_osel1wTFTF1s5v14qo3_500.gif&f=1&n

• Like 1

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

Disappointingly, it looks as though it's going to be done by Manky Spatchcock instead.

tumblr_osel1wTFTF1s5v14qo3_500.gif&f=1&n

I’m genuinely disappointed.

They (the daily briefings) aren’t much use atm as it’s just the same sound bites and avoiding questions, but at least watching her crash and burn would’ve been entertaining. 

14 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

What’s the VT moral stance on ordering ‘non-essential’ items online for home delivery? 

Ocado just delivered a shed load of craft beer for me, alongside essentials. We have a 80 year old with COPD in the household so that gave me the necessary moral cover. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

What’s the VT moral stance on ordering ‘non-essential’ items online for home delivery? 

Twitter seems split 50/50 between - it’s helping keep some people in work and parts of the economy going, or anybody who orders anything that isn’t food/medicine is a mass murdering scumbag? 

I’ve ordered quite a bit of stuff recently, majority essential, but a fair amount that isn’t. 

As long as you order a loaf of bread with your massive case of wine, new lawnmower, Xbox games, new pair of shoes etc... then it’s still an essential shop. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Ocado just delivered a shed load of craft beer for me, alongside essentials. We have a 80 year old with COPD in the household so that gave me the necessary moral cover. 

My dad is in his 70’s, diabetic and also has COPD. 

His ‘essential’ list yesterday was - Gin, Tonic, Rice Pudding, Custard, Pears and a TV guide. He’s got enough food in his house to feed his entire road for a month and he’s still called me twice today to see how I’m getting on with his shopping. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Twitter seems split 50/50 between - it’s helping keep some people in work and parts of the economy going, or anybody who orders anything that isn’t food/medicine is a mass murdering scumbag? 

I’ve ordered quite a bit of stuff recently, majority essential, but a fair amount that isn’t. 

I use Ocado for grocery shopping. I’ve just been shopping as normal on there with maybe a few extra things here and there (not stockpiling!). I’ve ordered plenty of non essential things amongst that. I don’t see the issue. They’re delivering to me anyway so what’s the issue with putting chocolate and rum in there too?

And I’ve been ordering loss of stuff off amazon. They’re prioritising essential items, so some stuff is taking longer to deliver than usual. So assuming they’re doing that prioritising then again I don’t really see the issue. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I use Ocado for grocery shopping. I’ve just been shopping as normal on there with maybe a few extra things here and there (not stockpiling!). I’ve ordered plenty of non essential things amongst that. I don’t see the issue. They’re delivering to me anyway so what’s the issue with putting chocolate and rum in there too?

And I’ve been ordering loss of stuff off amazon. They’re prioritising essential items, so some stuff is taking longer to deliver than usual. So assuming they’re doing that prioritising then again I don’t really see the issue. 

I’ve been using ‘Prime Now’ for food and it’s been ace. 

limited choice, but they partner with Morrisons and they pick at warehouse and not in store - so no substitutes and no ‘out of stock’ bollocks either. 

I have ordered things like clobber, comics and vape juice though - none of it from shops you’d consider to be essential at this time.

Not sure if I’m being a bit of a word removed or not (well, more of a word removed than normal) 

Edited by wazzap24

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Me too, I’ve just ordered an extra Echo Dot to go in my office as it looks like I’ll be in there for quite some time. It’s coming Tuesday.

Pillar 3 of the 'testing plan' sounds potentially dodgy: 'finger prick tests with results in as little as 20 minutes so that people can know if they're immune'.

That's got about three of the worries I identified earlier in the thread in a few seconds of a press conference (reliability of peoplle reading their own results, integrity of people's reporting of their own results and, again, this claim about immunity).

Edited by snowychap

35 minutes ago, snowychap said:

this claim about immunity

John Newton just answered this.

The test measures the presence of antibodies (and the peak is at 28 days - is that 28 days after contracting it?) and this indicates some level of immunity. How that level of immunity works, i.e. how long it lasts, whether it will prevent you from getting reinfected/whether it will mean that any reinfection will be less significant, is something that we will have to learn over time.

He said that we need to be optimistic - which is fair enough, I suppose - but I do think that when people hear the word 'immunity', they think of something slightly different to what Prof Newton has just outlined.

Edited by snowychap

6 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Fair to be honest. I am working from home currently and I presume the neighbour is too, their chihuahua or shitsu or whatever the **** it is has been yapping not stop for 10 days.

I give it another 4 days before I hop the fence and punt it into the next postcode.

It's the waiting 4 more days bit that I don't understand. 

1 hour ago, wazzap24 said:

Surely ordering a delivery is a lot better than going into the store and people mixing with each other.

• Like 1

Â