Generic Virus Thread

villakram

^I just came in to post that.

I can't believe they've suddenly become that incompetent. Were they just lucky before and the blaggers have run out of luck or is/was the whole thing (not just this bit but all of the mixed messaging) just an exercise in attempting to confuse the utter shit out of everyone?

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

So the only thing that is changing is the slogan? Everything else the same.

I’m waiting to hear that the Government hired an external marketing company and paid them £15m to come up with that.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Of course it was mentioned, as the other poster says it's on the government website.

It isn't the law, though.

Just because Johnson may 'mention' something tonight it won't make it the law unless the law is amended or revoked.

I'd very much caution anyone at all before relying upon what the Prime Minister says tonight when it comes to their position with regard to the law.

The law was not in place until a couple of days after the original Johnson announcement was made, IIRC (Thursday afternoon and the announcement was on the Monday/Tuesday evening?).

It’s a strange scenario, if the PM were to say that something was now allowed in a TV address, next day police pull you up and say it’s not OK... how is that gonna hold up in a court? The leader of the country said it was ok on a live TV address?

48 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Nappies are not even remotely close to booze. 

Caveat. In the Tescos I have visited. 

It's an old data mining story from the late 90s. It wasn't a literal critique of every individual Tesco store layout. But we'll veer well off topic if i mansplain here. I'll take it elsewhere :thumb:

49 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’m waiting to hear that the Government hired an external marketing company and paid them £15m to come up with that.

I'm not sure we can necessarily read that in to what's been said yesterday and today.

If what is being said about Garden Centres and Car Showrooms turns out to be right then they'd need to be removed from the schedule of businesses that cannot open and thus one would imagine there'd be a few others.

I wouldn't be surprised if not very much of the regulations changes, though, as it might well be just that those places of work which closed but weren't compelled to will be encouraged to open (as Johnson may phrase it 'allowed to').

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s a strange scenario, if the PM were to say that something was now allowed in a TV address, next day police pull you up and say it’s not OK... how is that gonna hold up in a court? The leader of the country said it was ok on a live TV address?

Ignorance of the law is not a defence. But when did we start trusting anything said by authority figures - particularly politicians?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

The court ought to apply the law (well, one would hope so - some examples of them wrongly applying it and applying things which weren't the law notwithstanding).

We are not governed by Prime Ministerial diktat - he does not get to strike down the regulations that have been put in to force by the Health Secretary as it's the Health Secretary who has been given those powers (even accepting that these are being questioned in a Judicial Review) by an Act of Parliament.

One would hope that a 'joined-up' government would be ready to go with the necessary amendments to the regulations once they've been announced by the Prime Minister and thus there shouldn't be more than the merest of gaps between announcement and coming in to force. But, as I said in the above post, Johnson made his announcement about what was and wasn't allowed before the regulations came in to force - the police had no powers to enforce what he had said until those regulations came in to play (and neither would the courts).

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, limpid said:

Ignorance of the law is not a defence. But when did we start trusting anything said by authority figures - particularly politicians?

In general I expect vast majority of people in this, or any country will accept an official public statement by the countries leader as gospel.

There has been no discussion or agreement on the change in message between all 4 nations. Health Minister for Wales has confirmed that, like Scotland, the message will stay the same there Stay Home Save Lives.

The government talk about taking everyone along with them and having a coherent message/policy followed by all then do this.

Whatever you may think of Sturgeons politics as a leader I have to say she comes across very well. She is clear and concise. A total contrast to the prat we have as PM.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

So, should I do three runs of two miles from home, two runs of three miles from home, or one run of six miles from home? 

I'm sure I'm missing something, but why would it make any difference? Exercise as much as you want.

Just heard a brighton player has tested positive for COVID19 & is now in self isolation.

Give it 5 minutes & the SHA forum will erupt in to another "jammy vile gunna get away wif it" tirade 🙄

Edited by mottaloo

54 minutes ago, Genie said:

The external marketing company being owned by a close friend or relative no doubt......

• Like 1

If that is the Government guidance then one would hope and expect the regulations to remove the restriction about having a 'reasonable excuse' to leave or be outside of the place where you are living otherwise it's utterly meaningless.

• Like 2

Â