Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, wazzap24 said:

What’s the VT moral stance on ordering ‘non-essential’ items online for home delivery? 

Twitter seems split 50/50 between - it’s helping keep some people in work and parts of the economy going, or anybody who orders anything that isn’t food/medicine is a mass murdering scumbag? 

I’ve ordered quite a bit of stuff recently, majority essential, but a fair amount that isn’t. 

Bought stuff, sold stuff. Generally carrying on as normal although some things are taking a bit longer to be delivered. Have had records, books, bits of arcade machines, assorted pop vinyl figures, a new jacket, some shoes & other crap along with some craft stuff & a few sheeps worth of wool for my wife delivered in the past couple of days alone. If the post office & couriers are open as usual then i can't see a reason not to use them. I haven't actually used the post office (and doubt i will until things get back to normal) as i have accounts with a couple of couriers anyway who just pick stuff up as & when required.

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Bought stuff, sold stuff. Generally carrying on as normal although some things are taking a bit longer to be delivered. Have had records, books, bits of arcade machines, assorted pop vinyl figures, a new jacket, some shoes & other crap along with some craft stuff & a few sheeps worth of wool for my wife delivered in the past couple of days alone. If the post office & couriers are open as usual then i can't see a reason not to use them. I haven't actually used the post office (and doubt i will until things get back to normal) as i have accounts with a couple of couriers anyway who just pick stuff up as & when required.

You're a corona wars veteran with a purple heart. You're excused. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

You're a corona wars veteran with a purple heart. You're excused. 

Heh, cheers. Not sure about purple heart, Feels more like a knackered heart at the mo

I wouldn't actually have gone out to a shop specifically to buy any of this stuff i guess but if i was in a shop to buy food that also happened to sell some of the other stuff i wanted i would grab it while i was there although the chances of any supermarket/shop stocking any of the random crap i buy would be rather slim.

I think some of this is maybe similar to what is considered a key/essential worker, 3 months ago not many people would have given a secind thought about any sort of delivery driver/supermarket checkout person/shelf stacker/insurance worker but now most people would be pretty buggered without them

I would imagine a lot of this is worse if you have kids that are suddenly stuck at home for maybe 5/6 months. They will grow out of clothes, need stuff for education/entertainment etc so stuff like games consoles/tablets/books/exercise equipment/summer clothing & maybe stuff like furniture/decorating stuff/gardening stuff all fall into the bracket of maybe being at least somewhat essential. Plenty of people are still going to work every day too and again many will need new clothes/bags/shoes/sunglasses/stuff for cars and with most non-essential shops closed the only real option is online for some things.

People have to do something to pass the time if they are sticking to the advice of staying home.

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, snowychap said:

And on the other side of things how many might die/might have died because of Covid19 without also having Covid19 (as a result of resources not being available, for instance)?

Also, there are a lot of people who WOULD be dying in the next 8 months of the year who will instead die now, so for example (assuming, which is a big assumption, that the crisis is over in the next few months) next December's deaths will probably be a good few thousand lower than it would otherwise have been because of all the people who would normally die then but instead died early of Coronavirus.  The demographic which is most at risk makes this quite a likelihood. 

It's enough to make the mind boggle really. I have no idea how they will ever work it out. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

What’s the VT moral stance on ordering ‘non-essential’ items online for home delivery? 

Twitter seems split 50/50 between - it’s helping keep some people in work and parts of the economy going, or anybody who orders anything that isn’t food/medicine is a mass murdering scumbag? 

I’ve ordered quite a bit of stuff recently, majority essential, but a fair amount that isn’t. 

I've been wondering about the people the press find who work for the likes of Amazon and Argos who are complaining about being forced to work in unsafe conditions.  Is that the general feeling in the workforce or are those just a tiny minority and the rest of the people just wish they would shut up so they can keep in full employment? 

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I've been wondering about the people the press find who work for the likes of Amazon and Argos who are complaining about being forced to work in unsafe conditions.  Is that the general feeling in the workforce or are those just a tiny minority and the rest of the people just wish they would shut up so they can keep in full employment? 

there are also maybe a few that have seen others in the same company furloughed on 80% & have realised that they are affectively now working a full month for about £1 an hour

12 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

there are also maybe a few that have seen others in the same company furloughed on 80% & have realised that they are affectively now working a full month for about £1 an hour

I did have this discussion with a colleague. I'm saving a fortune on petrol and not getting lunch on the go, and the odd drink after work. Not to mention the other saved expenses aside from work, no gigs, football, eating out.

I'd happily lose 20% of my salary for a month or two off, I'd still be quids in! The concern is that if you're furloughed, is the job still there for you at the end.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I did have this discussion with a colleague. I'm saving a fortune on petrol and not getting lunch on the go, and the odd drink after work. Not to mention the other saved expenses aside from work, no gigs, football, eating out.

I'd happily lose 20% of my salary for a month or two off, I'd still be quids in! The concern is that if you're furloughed, is the job still there for you at the end.

Yep same here, me and my gf aren't affected work wise and we're saving like mad.

My fridge has never been so well stocked up! Pre cv19, I just used to shop for the next 2-3 days at most. Now i'm stocked up for a good 10 days or so.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

That’s pretty much where I’m at. 20% cut but much reduced expenses and much reduced opportunity for those constant impulse buys. Twice a month my nipper was busking with a band, it was costing me a fortune! £6.5 to park the car, I’d wander off and buy a record or a book or some such, then the rest of the family rock up and I buy lunch. Those busks were costing me about £40 a fortnight!

I’ve cut a couple of direct debits, car hasn’t moved in 9 days. It’ll be ‘interesting’ to see where I’m at as the months roll on.

I’m still working, half the company isn’t. Presumption at the moment is that in 3 months the scheme will be extended. If it isn’t, and the work hasn’t returned, I’ll be perfectly happy I’m the mug still working on a pay cut.

So with JL they are putting staff on furlough and making up the difference but waitrose staff sometimes from the same building are continuing to work - that must be tough to swallow.

i have two kids young school age kids and now a week old Baby and I’m hitting online stores up daily on anything from new clothes to a frog bike as thought it was a good opportunity to get my 5 year old cycling a bit.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Xela said:

My fridge has never been so well stocked up! Pre cv19, I just used to shop for the next 2-3 days at most. Now i'm stocked up for a good 10 days or so.

If you're incapable of passing by a cold sweet can of craft beer - then stocking up is baaaad. Unfortunately, that is where I am. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Buy some proper chocolate. That's just sugary vegetable fat with a  hint of cocoa powder.

I don't buy chocolate (or sugary vegetable fat with a hint of cocoa powder).

Edited by snowychap

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Buy some proper chocolate. That's just sugary vegetable fat with a  hint of cocoa powder.

I'm no chocolate purist - cadburys buttons and creme eggs will do. I was raised in Erdington, I know my place! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jareth said:

If you're incapable of passing by a cold sweet can of craft beer - then stocking up is baaaad. Unfortunately, that is where I am. 

I'm not a home drinker at all but picked up 3 bottles of real ale the other day. Will treat myself to one tomorrow once I finish work. 

• Like 1

Â