Generic Virus Thread

villakram

2 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Amazing evidence for the vaccine as the Flu should be equally effected by social distancing measures.

Flu deaths are two thirds lower than the average, so there is something there for hand washing and distancing.

In fact, the total deaths is now below the 5 year average.

image.thumb.jpeg.a95a2c24075d93f6ec60405e0edcf58c.jpeg

BBC

For six of the past 13 months, Covid-19 was the biggest cause of death in Wales but in April it was the 18th leading cause.

Still too dangerous to stand outside and watch football though.

All the parents of our under 16’s kids had to watch from inside the clubhouse yesterday evening as they are now allowed in a group of 30 in a pub or club, but still not allowed to stand spread out around the ground. So they were all inside that little building up the end of the photo, so we didn’t get a fine.

image.jpeg.f9c2d6995209f229f2de709e0db82c05.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Woohoo, finally... mask restrictions being dropped all over.

Outdoor restrictions in MI are toast come June 1.

Indoor restrictions in MI are kaboom come July 1.

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2021/05/michigan-to-lift-outdoor-covid-19-restrictions-june-1-indoor-capacity-limits-july-1.html

"Then on July 1, all broad restrictions will be lifted, Gov. Gretchen Whitmer announced during a Thursday morning press conference at Dow Diamond in Midland.

“We will be able to sing at church, dance at weddings, cheer at games, hug each other and laugh together,” Whitmer said. “I know that that is welcome news to so many.”"

• Like 1

On 19/05/2021 at 13:14, Genie said:

Whilst I was at Millennium Point on Monday (Birmingham City Centre) I did look around the huge place at the ethnicity of those getting jabbed (in light of what we’re seeing about places like Bolton, Blackburn, Bradford etc).

I saw hundreds of people in the half an hour or so I was there and I’d say it was 99% white, which surprised me considering it was central Birmingham.

Funnily enough the majority of those helping out and administering the jabs were of Asian decent, but those being jabbed not.

It would be interesting to see what the breakdown is of adults who have been invited but not taken a vaccine.

Majority of them will have visited more local centres, myself included. Much less hassle trying to find parking etc. 

• Like 1

My first vaccine was 7 weeks and 2 days ago, supposedly I'm allowed to bring it forward. I tried to do this on the NHS website, small issue, you have to cancel your original appointment before you can rebook. I'm really not going to do that as I might end up in a worse position. It would be much better if they gave you the options available and then automatically cancelled your existing appointment once your replacement is booked. It's like they don't actually want you to cancel your appointment to bring it forward even though we're supposed to.

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Another day, another ‘new variant’ (Yorkshire this time).

Why don’t they just drop the scaremongering and let people live again, it’s really pretty boring now.

When they find a new variant should they pretend they didn’t find it? Or keep it secret?

It’s just a fact, it’s not scare mongering unless you want to interpret it that way.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

When they find a new variant should they pretend they didn’t find it? Or keep it secret?

It’s just a fact, it’s not scare mongering unless you want to interpret it that way.

They definitely shouldn't 'keep it a secret', and they definitely shouldn't ignore it.

However, I think we eventually want to get to a position where this is done with much less 'constantly informing the public' and more 'the wheels of the state whirring in the background'. There is a bit of a danger of 'variant fatigue' or whatever among the public, and they don't hold breathless press conferences about every strain of flu that is detected each year.

Maybe we're not at that point yet, but it can't come soon enough IMO.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bickster said:

My first vaccine was 7 weeks and 2 days ago, supposedly I'm allowed to bring it forward. I tried to do this on the NHS website, small issue, you have to cancel your original appointment before you can rebook. I'm really not going to do that as I might end up in a worse position. It would be much better if they gave you the options available and then automatically cancelled your existing appointment once your replacement is booked. It's like they don't actually want you to cancel your appointment to bring it forward even though we're supposed to.

I had the same issue - concerned that cancelling the appointment before rebooking would be an issue, but I took the leap and easily got an appointment for my second dose the very next day.

There were numerous locations, dates and times available giving plenty of options.

1 minute ago, brommy said:

I had the same issue - concerned that cancelling the appointment before rebooking would be an issue, but I took the leap and easily got an appointment for my second dose the very next day.

There were numerous locations, dates and times available giving plenty of options.

Agreed Brommy. I had the same concern as Bickster but no need when it came to rebook. Lots of slots. I thinks Bicks is right, you want to see whats on offer before accepting it. 

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

They definitely shouldn't 'keep it a secret', and they definitely shouldn't ignore it.

However, I think we eventually want to get to a position where this is done with much less 'constantly informing the public' and more 'the wheels of the state whirring in the background'. There is a bit of a danger of 'variant fatigue' or whatever among the public, and they don't hold breathless press conferences about every strain of flu that is detected each year.

Maybe we're not at that point yet, but it can't come soon enough IMO.

It's difficult to control what the world's media choses as news worthy.

• Like 1

Just now, brommy said:

It's difficult to control what the world's media choses as news worthy.

I agree! But as a government, it's not difficult to control what you choose to hold a press conference about.

I agree! But as a government, it's not difficult to control what you choose to hold a press conference about.

They'd soon not bother if the press didn't show up.

Was there a press conference about the Yorkshire variant?

Theres a story well done the BBC front page about it being a variant of interest.

PHE said there was "currently no evidence that this variant causes more severe disease or renders the vaccines currently deployed any less effective".

4 minutes ago, brommy said:

They'd soon not bother if the press didn't show up.

No, this is the wrong way round. Governments hold press conferences - especially with cabinet ministers and/or the PM, and the country's most senior scientists - about matters of grave national importance. It would be irresponsible for the press to simply stop covering them. The signal has to come from the government, not from the media.

• Like 1

Â