Generic Virus Thread

villakram

4 hours ago, bickster said:

If it happened in the Lab as you suggest, then it's been covered up. Thats the conspiracy theory, you do see that? it is after all the logical conclusion of your argument.

With previous incidents, I gather it took a while to establish what had happened and how.  Your claim rests on people already knowing what happened, and choosing to cover it up.

In other words, you posit a conspiracy, in order to suggest that other people believe there is a conspiracy.

Apart from the logical fallacy, circular reasoning and straw man, I wonder why you feel the need to do this?

Maybe you'd care to explain why your Lab theory is more logical and more likely than the wet market explanation

I wonder why you don't care to do that

By the way I haven't posited a conspiracy, you have. The whole Lab thing is a conspiracy to cover up the truth, otherwise it would be the official Chinese explanation, that isn't circular reasoning, it's what you are saying. I think its bunk, there is no conspiracy (apart from maybe massaging the numbers but I'd expect that)

• Like 1

Sweden is for whatever reason going about this completely different to every other country who has evacuated citizens from China.

Where other countries are isolating the evacuees and keeping them monitored Sweden are sending them straight home with no restrictions or supervision.

It's frankly a bit odd and worrying  that there now will be 11 cities in Sweden with people who may be infected. 

And to add to it Sweden has no restrictions yet on air travel to and fro China where as flight has been suspended and borders closed in many other countries.

Apparently Sweden does not see this as something serious or alarming. Hopefully they are right.

Can someone explain to me how this virus is a big problem? 

By numbers 400 people have died world wide from what I can see. 370+ in China. Which is something like nothing % of the population of 1,4 billion? Using the same numbers for Norway that's about 2 people here. While the average flu kills 900 people a year in Norway alone.  

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

By numbers 400 people have died world wide from what I can see. 370+ in China. Which is something like nothing % of the population of 1,4 billion? Using the same numbers for Norway that's about 2 people here. While the average flu kills 900 people a year in Norway alone.  

400 out of the whole % seems low enough but bear in mind this 400 happens within half of Jan alone. 400 is also a figure mainly quoted from China, there is always scepticism in terms of the actual figures, especially the breakout happened back in beginning of Dec and you would imagine kanye had already been either covered up or ignore as death by natural causes

9 minutes ago, kwoktolai said:

400 out of the whole % seems low enough but bear in mind this 400 happens within half of Jan alone. 400 is also a figure mainly quoted from China, there is always scepticism in terms of the actual figures, especially the breakout happened back in beginning of Dec and you would imagine kanye had already been either covered up or ignore as death by natural causes

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

The virus is in Wuhan, it didn’t affect the whole country in the same way the flu would. We’re still in the early stages where it is spreading so using whole countries population to make a comparison is going to give misleading data. There is also no vaccine like with the flu.

To compare with the flu it be interesting to know how easy it is to catch compared to the flu and if you do catch it how likely are you to die, compared with the flu. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

The virus is in Wuhan, it didn’t affect the whole country in the same way the flu would. We’re still in the early stages where it is spreading so using whole countries population to make a comparison is going to give misleading data. There is also no vaccine like with the flu.

To compare with the flu it be interesting to know how easy it is to catch compared to the flu and if you do catch it how likely are you to die, compared with the flu. 

I know it's probably a poor comparison. I know nothing about this stuff. Just seems to me it's largely old and sick people who are in the danger zone here. Which just is a typical flu thing. 

14 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I know it's probably a poor comparison. I know nothing about this stuff. Just seems to me it's largely old and sick people who are in the danger zone here. Which just is a typical flu thing. 

Would probably need to verify the figures as I'm working from memory, but I think death rate from getting the flu is about 0.01%

Coronavirus is currently estimated to be 2% from what I've read.

So it would seem while the risk of dying when you get it is still pretty low, it's much higher than the flu

(again I'll emphasise I've posted this from memory so don't take it as gospel. Someone can probably verify the figures)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

There was a chart earlier in the thread plotting how contagious and deadly it was compared with other viruses. I don’t know if there is an update to that data. 

It has been updated a few times though the contagion rate and the death rates do not appear to have altered much so I haven't reported it

• Thanks 1

It's deadlier and appears to be slightly more contagious than normal flu, and certainly seems nastier if you have any underlying affliction that leaves you with weakened immune system or more susceptible to respiratory problems. But compared to a bunch of other grim diseases it's not that bad.

The big issue with it is, as a new disease, it might become something worse, or it might be basically uncontainable, and so on. SARS was on paper worse than this but it was able to be contained because we worked out how to contain it and it basically burnt out. It's possible this one isn't possible to do that with.

It's not helped by the fact that cold and flu style viruses spread very, very well. They aren't necessarily the most contagious diseases (i.e. you could shake the hand of someone with a cold and be fine. Do that with someone who has Ebola and more often than not you're infected) but they cause you to have so many chances to infect someone that inevitably you do. And that's the other thing that makes this quite so worrisome. It might have bolted already.

4 hours ago, villakram said:

Chinese oil demand rumored to be down 20% over last week, due to various shutdowns per morning reports with their stockmarket in borderline panic mode.

Said it before, this is great for the planet.

• Like 1

Pretty big spike in cases reported this morning. Gone from about 17400 to 20700 overnight.

Reported deaths also increased with almost 15% up to 427

Almost all in mainland China and the numbers reported are just that. would not put too much stock in them.

11 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Said it before, this is great for the planet.

Can I be really pedantic and say, it's not great for the planet, but it's great for the flora/fauna? 

The planet really couldn't give a **** about the stupid things that live on it :D 

sorry, just my job tells me be irked by these things! ;)  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sne said:

Pretty big spike in cases reported this morning. Gone from about 17400 to 20700 overnight.

Reported deaths also increased with almost 15% up to 427

Almost all in mainland China and the numbers reported are just that. would not put too much stock in them.

No one will have a **** clue with regards to numbers of the infected.  It's absolutely pointless plucking a number out of the air, once that germ/virus gets "out", there are so many variables to consider it's literally saying "pick a number between 1 and a billion".  

• Like 1

Â