Generic Virus Thread

villakram

I've had this dilemma about wanting to go to my GP but not hearing from them yet, and booking at the mass vaccination centres which had appointments for me. 

Anyway this morning Mrs Sidcow who is in a lower group than me got a text to book at the GP. 

I gave them a call to see of I had been missed by them........... And I had.  Should have had a text 2 weeks ago, numpties. 

Anyway I'm in for 9am tomorrow now. May even get a call this evening if they have any spares. I hope they do because I wasn't even aware 9.00 am existed on a Saturday. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

I've had this dilemma about wanting to go to my GP but not hearing from them yet, and booking at the mass vaccination centres which had appointments for me. 

Anyway this morning Mrs Sidcow who is in a lower group than me got a text to book at the GP. 

I gave them a call to see of I had been missed by them........... And I had.  Should have had a text 2 weeks ago, numpties. 

Anyway I'm in for 9am tomorrow now. May even get a call this evening if they have any spares. I hope they do because I wasn't even aware 9.00 am existed on a Saturday. 

Villa match tonight don’t forget...

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Two days running now that reported cases have been a few hundred higher than they were on the corresponding day last week after weeks of them gradually coming down. Not sure if anything to be concerned about.

It is the number of deaths and number of people going into hospital you need to look at.  Testing is going on at schools and now in businesses much more widely, so I wouldn't be overly worried. 

Check out the stats on the Gov dashboard :).   It's looking good for us but not so good in Europe.  Poor Italy for instance is now going back into lockdown over Easter.  

Edited by trekka
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Wild thread:

You see, I get that a WhatsApp chat like that is pretty incriminating and awful, but how exactly does The Guardian get to see that? For all its issues, they do actually end-to-end encrypt messages so unless one of them has lost their phone, it was unlocked and it found its way to the press I struggle to see how the paper has "seen" this conversation.

37 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Two days running now that reported cases have been a few hundred higher than they were on the corresponding day last week after weeks of them gradually coming down. Not sure if anything to be concerned about.

Nothing to worry about . . . data on cases is now non-comparable because we've decided to do hundreds of thousands of lateral flow tests in schools every day. This is going to lead to discovering a lot of asymptomatic cases, and a (large) number of false positives and negatives. We need - as a society, not specifically on this thread, but I guess us too - to move to hospitalisations as the meaningful metric at this point.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

You see, I get that a WhatsApp chat like that is pretty incriminating and awful, but how exactly does The Guardian get to see that? For all its issues, they do actually end-to-end encrypt messages so unless one of them has lost their phone, it was unlocked and it found its way to the press I struggle to see how the paper has "seen" this conversation.

🤷‍♂️

Dunno, good question. It seems far too specific to have made up though.

Maybe it was backed up on a server somewhere?

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Nothing to worry about . . . data on cases is now non-comparable because we've decided to do hundreds of thousands of lateral flow tests in schools every day. This is going to lead to discovering a lot of asymptomatic cases, and a (large) number of false positives and negatives. We need - as a society, not specifically on this thread, but I guess us too - to move to hospitalisations as the meaningful metric at this point.

Yep, I've been pessimistic that we'll get through this thing but it looks like with the vaccination programme and lockdown that we've unleashed a can of whoop-ass.  I just feel sorry for those still seeing large increases and seeing uncertainty for the immediate future.  As I've said, poor Italy are now going back into lockdown and as I've read elsewhere (and one which I agree with) why don't they lockdown now rather than wait a few weeks? It's madness.  They need to drive this thing down now and hope that they too start seeing an increase in their vaccine output in order to slowly open back up once the most vulnerable have had their dose.  

3c92f92da6251e1aafe33f235947b4fe.png

Our World in Data.

21 minutes ago, brommy said:

After a phone call this afternoon to our mobiles, I’m pleased to report my wife and I (age 50 & 51) have a joint appointment for our first doses at our GP surgery on Monday. She’s a fellow season ticket holder so definitely worth saving.

My brother (52) and his wife (51) also have a joint vaccination appointment on Monday at their GP surgery (very nearby but not the same as ours).

As we all have no qualifying criteria other than age, it appears the vaccination process is currently progressing well in the Bromsgrove area.

EDIT -  I’ve politely been reminded my wife isn’t 51 for 2 weeks yet!

This is good. I am 50, not in that 40 bmi, no underlying issues and not the size of a giant, so good to hear its creeping closer to 50. 

• Like 1

Another round of applause for Dido's wonderful Test and Trace team

One of our drivers has picked up a passenger on 2nd March that has tested positive (that day, he took her to be tested). When they get hold of him, bearing in mind they didn't contact us until 16:30, he'll have to take the rest of the day off work to self-isolate

Bravo, excellence in action

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Awesome news.  The Telegraph is also reporting as an "exclusive" that all over 40s will be offered the first jab by Easter:

"Everyone over 40 should be offered their first Covid-19 vaccine by Easter, with a “bumper boost” to supplies allowing the programme to rapidly expand next week, The Telegraph can reveal.

Stocks are expected to more than double, allowing the NHS to administer up to a million doses a day in coming weeks, government sources said.

It means that all over-50s are expected to receive an invitation for a jab over the next week – around three weeks ahead of the Government’s target.
While the rate may slow during April, he said there was optimism that the rest of the adult population would be offered first jabs long before the target of Jul 31".

We're doing bloody amazing with this vaccine rollout and I look forward to receiving my jab in the coming weeks :)

Edited by trekka
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ismail-villa said:

Got my vaccine booked today, 24 with an underlying health condition. So I'm glad to finally get my dose, unfortunately not at Villa Park as it's through my GP surgery. But it's next to a Lidl, so I think I'll have some bakery instead :)

It's a piece of cake. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It's a piece of cake. 

Did you have to wait, after getting the jab, in case of any reactions? I've heard some have had to wait. 

Also... Not sure if you said that in response to the bakery I mentioned 🤣

8 minutes ago, ismail-villa said:

Did you have to wait, after getting the jab, in case of any reactions? I've heard some have had to wait. 

Also... Not sure if you said that in response to the bakery I mentioned 🤣

I had AZ and had to wait for 15 minutes in the car but that was because of medicine I take. 

Yes, piece of cake was for the bakery. 

Â