Generic Virus Thread

villakram

13 hours ago, snowychap said:

Wouldn't the government's position of over caution, i.e. ignoring superior tests contradicting inferior ones ... meaning that more would isolate (including families and bubbles), thus mean a damping down on potential transmission?

Obviously, it's wrong - for those who may be captured by this and also because it may reduce voluntary uptake of these tests (I don't believe they are mandatory) - but I don't see, other than an adverse effect upon the uptake of tests outweighing the effect of false positives, that it would make things worse in the wider population.

Maybe my grammar’s not perfect.
People mixing more > more cases. false positives > artificially higher case stats than the reality.

whether the overall actual likely increase in real cases will lead to major problems again for the NHS is maybe, hopefully, less likely because of people getting vaccinated now in significant numbers.

Just now, blandy said:

false positives

Isn't part of the problem with the lateral flow tests that there are just as many false negatives too? I'm sure I read somewhere that the accuracy of the tests is about 60% and that many false negatives and positives occur.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Isn't part of the problem with the lateral flow tests that there are just as many false negatives too? I'm sure I read somewhere that the accuracy of the tests is about 60% and that many false negatives and positives occur.

Yeah, that's another issue with them - if people think they're OK  when they're not then especially if they change their behaviours they could spread it unwittingly to others...leading to a rise in cases. Loads of Docs have warned about their innacuracy. Better than nothing, but not ideal at all

We all have to use the lateral flow ones at work twice a week. They are so so crap. That millions of the gov’t and the NHS’s money have been wasted on them is quite worrying. It’s basically a magic 8 ball in a sealed pack. I think I could make better tests with a yoghurt pot, a cardboard tube and some pva glue. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Genie said:

Be funny (not really) if you turn up at they are all 

april fools GIF by Paramount Pictures

This meme annoys me. It should just be "April fool" (singular). Nobody ever says "Happy April". It's an American thing like "New Year's" and "Happy Halloween" (you aren't supposed to be be happy, you're supposed to be scared). 

• Like 3

https://inews.co.uk/news/health/brazil-variant-pfizer-vaccine-effective-covid-strain-tests-latest-904712

Brazil variant: Pfizer vaccine effective against more infectious Covid strain, early tests show

The scientists said the neutralising ability was roughly equivalent the vaccine’s effect on a previous less contagious version of the virus from last year

The Pfizer and BioNTech Covid vaccine was shown to neutralise a new variant of the virus spreading rapidly in Brazil, raising hopes that it will be an effective tool against emerging strains.

Blood taken from people who had been given the vaccine neutralised an engineered version of the virus that contained the same mutations carried on the spike portion of the highly contagious variant first identified in Brazil.

The study, conducted by scientists from the companies and the University of Texas Medical Branch, was published in the New England Journal of Medicine on Monday.

• Like 2

On 06/03/2021 at 13:12, bickster said:

People now aged 56 and above can book a vaccine online, not been announced publically but it is on the website.

They've shortened the age band by a year meaning I have to wait until the last day of the month - Grrrrrrrrrrr!

Now booking age 55. Three days for a one year drop. At that rate I’ll be booking it on 24th March and my wife on 27th March. Fingers crossed.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mjmooney said:

This meme annoys me. It should just be "April fool" (singular). Nobody ever says "Happy April". It's an American thing like "New Year's" and "Happy Halloween" (you aren't supposed to be be happy, you're supposed to be scared). 

It's a promo thing for the second Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles film produced by Michael Bay. The character played by Megan Fox, in the gif, is April O'Neil. Who looks happy.

It's a promo thing they did around April Fools Day.

16 minutes ago, brommy said:

Now booking age 55. Three days for a one year drop. At that rate I’ll be booking it on 24th March and my wife on 27th March. Fingers crossed.

Excellent. If my maths is right (and it rarely is) I’ll be on for a jag around the end of the month. 

I had the call for mine today which came as a shock, 41 with no underlying conditions. (live in South Brum)

Roll on Thursday.

Edited by RussG
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, brommy said:

My theory is that the 56 was an error that escalated from the top and it should always have been 55. It seems that in typical fashion no one quesioned it until it appeared in the papers then it took three days to escalate that decision back to the website and everyone else.

12 minutes ago, choffer said:

Excellent. If my maths is right (and it rarely is) I’ll be on for a jag around the end of the month. 

Bear in mind, i'm 55 and could book from today. The 1st April was the first date they could give me

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bickster said:

Bear in mind, i'm 55 and could book from today. The 1st April was the first date they could give me

Fair point. I think like most, I’m just champing at the bit to know when it’s going to be. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bickster said:

My theory is that the 56 was an error that escalated from the top and it should always have been 55. It seems that in typical fashion no one quesioned it until it appeared in the papers then it took three days to escalate that decision back to the website and everyone else.

Interesting. We’ll know if it was an error if the criteria doesn’t drop to age 54 in the next week or so.

Â