Generic Virus Thread

villakram

I'm one of the people who was concerned about the longer gap between jabs, although certainly not an expert.  I'm happy to see the news that there will likely not be a negative impact to pursuing this policy.  When the evidence changes my opinion changes.  We can add this to the very short list of the things the govt have got right in the last year.  It seems like we are looking at the stopped clock at the right time of day here (there is still not enough evidence to convince me that the govt are competent).

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Straggler said:

When the evidence changes my opinion changes

The evidence hasn't changed. For the Oxford/AZ vaccine the original evidence has been backed up by further evidence, but it says the same thing. It's good and reassuring, but it's not different.

For the Pfizer vaccine, there's not yet any evidence on the 12 week (rather than recommended 3 week) gap between vaccines having consequences (either good or bad).

That's as I understand things, anyway.

• Like 1

Just reading another thread, and the possibility of airlines/countries banning people who haven't been vaccinated.

Seems again, a bit unfairly punishing the groups not as effected by the plague, considering we've put over a year of active life on hold. Like a situation where only over 50s could go on holiday to certain countries this summer would be absurd.

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Just reading another thread, and the possibility of airlines/countries banning people who haven't been vaccinated.

Seems again, a bit unfairly punishing the groups not as effected by the plague, considering we've put over a year of active life on hold. Like a situation where only over 50s could go on holiday to certain countries this summer would be absurd.

Does this mean no kids on planes?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I think it will be vaccinated or negative test.  However I think all UK adults will have been offered at least their first jab by mid to end of July if they can keep up at circa 600,000 per day 

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Has anyone who said they would not get vaccinated changed their mind yet? 

Nobody can change their mind once they've declared it on Facebook. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55917793

A vaccine to tackle the coronavirus variants could be ready to deploy by the autumn, the team behind the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine says.

Prof Andy Pollard, from Oxford University, said they were already planning to tweak the vaccine.

He said it was a relatively quick process - and would only need small trials to be done before roll-out.

There is still strong evidence existing vaccines work well against the mutations that have emerged.

Although their overall effectiveness may be weakened a little.

Prof Pollard said his team were already looking at updating the vaccine to make it more effective against the mutations that are being seen.

"I think the actual work on designing a new vaccine is very, very quick because it's essentially just switching out the genetic sequence for the spike protein.

"And then there's manufacturing to do and then a small scale study. So all of that can be completed in a very short period of time, and the autumn is really the timing for having new vaccines available for use," he said.

Edited by sidcow

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

Is this the build up to the announcement we will need to be vaccinated every 6 months?

I don't think so.

I think there will be a "third" dose late this year if it's not included in the second dose, which it probably will for a lot of people with those timescales.

Once the virus is broadly contained by vaccination and there is less of it in the wild, it's much more difficult for it to mutate, so it will then be an annual jab catching whatever mutations occur.

Of course if they can get the virus small enough and the vaccines are successful enough at stopping transmission then maybe it CAN be eradicated altogether like with smallpox, but the vaccines have to be very successful at stopping transmission for that, and they have to be got out to all parts of the world otherwise new pockets could spring up and spread again.

Cases continue to fall - 19202 in the latest update, a fall of over 6000 since last Wednesday.

Although deaths are still sadly high (1322), hospital admissions are down.  We are getting there.  Let's see what Boris says in a few minutes. 

You do wonder if that dramatic fall is 100% due to the continuing lockdown or if some of the vaccines are starting to have an affect. 

We're about a month and a half after the really early ones and surely 3 weeks after a good million or two. 

1 hour ago, trekka said:

6b9b1810-5141-4145-8b5d-6412825afed2.jpg

a4ae2da9-8734-41dc-9eeb-2432c5e7f5cd.jpg

Source:  BBC

Interestingly enough those graphs are very similar to Sweden’s, despite no lockdown and very limited vaccines so far. 

There must also be an element of natural herd immunity that builds up where enough people have had it recently that the virus starts struggling to find fresh victims. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/sweden/

Edited by LondonLax
  • Like 1

Â