Generic Virus Thread

villakram

10 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The more prosaic truth, IMO, is that there was a concerted effort on the part of public health figures to pressurise the government into announcing another lockdown

No absolutely not.

No one was pushing for another lockdown. But what there definitely was, was a pressure to, er, alleviate the pressure on the hospitals by requiring a short increase in the number of precautions/measures in place. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I always thought under the current government we would reach the stage where there would be an acceptable level of deaths. We are well and truly at that stage now.  I am surprised at how many of us are also prepared to go along with it. 

I think the reality is that some deaths are unavoidable. In reality the debate is where do you draw the line between what is acceptable and what is not.

In a nation of 68 million people, there are an awful lot of deaths all the time, every day - half a million plus a year (before covid), 1461 a day in 2017, for example (10, 226 a week). I guess most people would say something like a third of all deaths in a week being caused by Covid is "too high" to be acceptable. But you can draw your own line. is it 10%? 5%... Does it matter how many of them are unvaccinated? 

I don't envy the people making the decisions when the time comes. But I scorn the Tory MPs pushing for "just drop all rules and crack on with life" while there are so many people dying, hospitals are in crisis and there's a wave of the virus sweeping the country. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

They absolutely, definitely, were.

I try and follow it fairly closely, and saw nothing to that end " a concerted effort "

Do you have anything you could point me at, of this concerted effort? TIA. 

24 minutes ago, blandy said:

I think the reality is that some deaths are unavoidable. In reality the debate is where do you draw the line between what is acceptable and what is not.

In a nation of 68 million people, there are an awful lot of deaths all the time, every day - half a million plus a year (before covid), 1461 a day in 2017, for example (10, 226 a week). I guess most people would say something like a third of all deaths in a week being caused by Covid is "too high" to be acceptable. But you can draw your own line. is it 10%? 5%... Does it matter how many of them are unvaccinated? 

I don't envy the people making the decisions when the time comes. But I scorn the Tory MPs pushing for "just drop all rules and crack on with life" while there are so many people dying, hospitals are in crisis and there's a wave of the virus sweeping the country. 

I agree totally. I just don't think the acceptable level should be set so high although I am not surprised it has been given who we have governing us. 

• Like 1

I saw lots of this type of thing

UK public health experts have dismissed a lockdown for the unvaccinated, claiming such a move would be coercive, unenforceable and would not drive down infection rates.

Professor Stephen Reicher, a member of Sage’s subcommittee advising on behavioural science, says implementing an Austria-style lockdown in the UK could end up alienating already hard to reach parts of society and create more problems down the line.

He said: “If vaccine passports are intrusive enough, [such as being] necessary for everyday activities, it leads to a perception that vaccines are coercive and that can both undermine trust in government and increase resistance.

“We’ve seen that in a number of countries, we have data to suggest that would be the impact in the UK as well.”

Professor Reicher, of the University of St Andrews, says this can end up being “counter-productive” and cause so much resistance that it may undermine other efforts to stop the virus from spreading.

He continued: “Even if you apply so much coercion that those who are distrustful do get vaccinated, the danger is that you undermine everything else that they might do.

“They become so anti-authority that they are far less likely to do any of the other things asked of them to keep themselves and others safe.”

He warned this strategy would “store up trouble” and “create a pool of people who are alienated and anti-authority through that form of compulsion.”...

...“You either have a strict scheme, which alienates people and probably undermines human rights, or you have a looser scheme which then becomes a practical nightmare.

At least Austrians are asking what to do.... in Britain, we are just wishing it away

Covid-19: Would an Austria-style lockdown work in the UK? (msn.com)

We’ve reduced isolation time once and about to do it again.

Weve scrapped requirement for a confirmatory PCR test.

Lateral flow tests will soon no longer be available free for all.

If there’s no tests then there’s no positive cases.

The country is clearly moving towards “taking it on the chin” as we go back to “normal”.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Hope none of have any bad affects 

I had shivers and 37.3 degrees last night. I feel absolutely fine today. Everyone else is also all clear, other than testing positive.

Weird, weird virus.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

I had shivers and 37.3 degrees last night. I feel absolutely fine today. Everyone else is also all clear, other than testing positive.

Weird, weird virus.

Glad to hear you are feeling ok. I feel absolutely awful and haven’t slept pretty much since I got it but then again I have a few co-morbidities it’s really affecting. I dread to think how I would feel if I wasn’t all vaxxed and boosted up.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Eidolon said:

Glad to hear you are feeling ok. I feel absolutely awful and haven’t slept pretty much since I got it but then again I have a few co-morbidities it’s really affecting. I dread to think how I would feel if I wasn’t all vaxxed and boosted up.

Best of luck with it, beat the sh*t out of it soon!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Eidolon said:

Sorry to hear you're struggling, hope you are feeling a bit better today?

On 11/01/2022 at 14:53, Mic09 said:

Got COVID - my first positive. In fact, entire household has it.

Spreads like a mofo. 

Probably cursed it now but looks like, my body (vaccine assisted) has kept it at bay or i'd had it before without realising. 

Said previously but my kids have it, my wife was also feeling ill but no positive tests but tested positive the other day. My tests have all been negative. 

The kids only really had one day each where they were below par and a temperature thankfully. They are back to normal now, which is a test for my wife working from home. 

• Like 1

On 11/01/2022 at 09:53, Mic09 said:

Got COVID - my first positive. In fact, entire household has it.

Spreads like a mofo. 

I’ve had it the last two weeks. Was ok, deteriorated quickly, was awful for three days, got better day 4, felt awful again on day 5, nothing more than a minor headache and feeling a bit dizzy day 6 and 7, now (day 11) feel perfectly fine other than just a weird feeling that whenever I move my eyes it seems to take my head a split second to catch up. Hopefully that’ll pass.

Exit PCR today (rules here are 11 days isolation) and hopefully tomorrow result will be negative and I’m free. Wife also has it and just has the sniffles. Seems to be luck of the draw…

oh one thing to add: hiccups ever since I caught it. **** hiccups. I’d say one big hiccup every 15 mins. Driving me insane. 

Edited by Spoony

I only tested positive for 5 days so OK day 7 and 8 and off I went to join the masses once more

Mrs. T is still positive day 10, no temperature and no other symptoms any more , the head aches and flu symptoms we both had are well gone. According to the government she has isolated for 10 days she has no symptoms, so she can go out and spread it around Aldi now.

Bloody good job, because she sent me shopping last week to get some stuff for my sarnies I came back with nice shoulder of ham, turned out to have garlic and herbs in it why would you do that, it was disgusting 

Edited by Robtaylor200

1 hour ago, Genie said:

It was hinted in PMQ’s yesterday that isolation is going to be cut to 5 days. Probably a load of caveats to that but says a lot.

it’s down to 5 days in the US but you have to be symptomless and negative tests I think.

2 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

I only tested positive for 5 days so OK day 7 and 8 and off I went to join the masses once more

Mrs. T is still positive day 10, no temperature and no other symptoms any more , the head aches and flu symptoms we both had are well gone. According to the government she has isolated for 10 days she has no symptoms, so she can go out and spread it around Aldi now.

The 10 day guidance is supposed to cover the time that someone can be infectious for even though they might still test positive for longer (PCR can be positive for up to 90 days and lateral flow less than that), but is also probably constrained by the maximum amount of time you can actually expect compliance for.

Some people will still be infectious after 10 days but would probably just follow the guidance and go about their business, so testing to find out before you do so is sensible. But on the other hand, how long would she isolate for if still positive? 20 days? 30 days?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The length of time people who have tested positive for Covid must isolate for is being cut to five full days in England from Monday, Health Secretary Sajid Javid announces.

Currently people have to self-isolate for at least seven days but are able to stop isolating if they return two negative lateral flow tests on days six and seven.

From Monday with two negative tests people can leave isolation at the start of day six, he says.

Ministers have said cutting the isolation period would ease staff pressures in some sectors, such as the NHS, transport and education.

Link to BBC

Â