Generic Virus Thread

villakram

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’ve seen things in a few places for both of the main types he have.

here for Pfizer 

The AZ vaccine similarly drops off in effectiveness, but that drops to high 60%s after a few months, which isn't that reassuring somehow.

You would think it HAS to start dropping off again soon. If 40,000 pw are being diagnosed you can guarantee it's at least 80,000 actual infections per day, 800,000 per 10 days.  Surely at some point it's got to struggle to find new victims. 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

You would think it HAS to start dropping off again soon. If 40,000 pw are being diagnosed you can guarantee it's at least 80,000 actual infections per day, 800,000 per 10 days.  Surely at some point it's got to struggle to find new victims. 

Not unless it reinfects people, which seems to be a thing that happens. 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Reinfection ? Although surely you’d have decent immunity to it second time around 

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Does anyone know anyone that has had it twice? (Proper PCR positive results).

If so how far apart were the illnesses?

I've not heard of anyone.  Didn't John McGinn get it twice? 

You would. Think that one infection (probably the original version) plus 2 vaccinations would make even the Delta a pretty minor affair for most people. 

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

The government vaccines watchdog are not backing the governments plans to vaccinate 12-15 year olds. There’s not enough sufficient evidence to suggest they need it. 

In isolation I agree, they don’t need it.

But does the wider population need them to have it to reduce the spread?

(I’m not buying or selling, just saying because there is a string link to schools opening and closing).

1 minute ago, theboyangel said:

Good news, my mate is finally out after 6 days in hospital after catching Covid off his daughter, despite him being double jabbed. 

relieved! 

Brilliant, brilliant news! All the best to him and his family for a quick full recovery. 

Edited by trekka
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Good news, my mate is finally out after 6 days in hospital after catching Covid off his daughter, despite him being double jabbed. 

relieved! 

Good news mate👍.  Just shows, imagine if he hadn't have been vaxxed, could have been an altogether different outcome. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

relieved! 

This is the point I was making ref the young ‘uns. They are fine, but It’s clearly an issue for others. 
The government probably have a plan for it though…

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Genie said:

In isolation I agree, they don’t need it.

But does the wider population need them to have it to reduce the spread?

(I’m not buying or selling, just saying because there is a string link to schools opening and closing).

I’m not sure tbf . When the vaccines wear off are we supposed to just keep jabbing everyone. I see both sides of the coin and I’m undecided what’s best. 

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I’m not sure tbf . When the vaccines wear off are we supposed to just keep jabbing everyone. I see both sides of the coin and I’m undecided what’s best. 

I think we will have 1 more round for everyone next year based on the latest version of Rona that's around then over 50s get an annual booster probably with their flu jab. 

For the nought to 50s it will be like flu, they will probably contract it in childhood when they're best prepared to deal with it and future encounters will hopefully not be so bad. 

Hopefully it mutates to be less dangerous but maybe if a new more deadly version arrives we'll have to do all adults again. 

The UK national vaccine Centre opens next month I believe.  They will be able to develop new vaccines in house and produce enough for the whole nation in a couple of months under the same roof I understand so the UK should have a lot more resilience in future. 

Hopefully they are also trying to ensure we have more UK production of consumables and raw materials as well as that was one of the biggest stumbling blocks too. 

Finally let's hope something about vaccines is put into the national curriculum.   And critical thinking about Internet stories for that matter. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

The plan/dream is to go to Jamaica in December for my 40th so I’ve been keeping an eye on what’s going on there.

The last few weeks things have been going badly and all the predictions were that it was going into the red list last week. Everyone was surprised to see it remain amber.

The day after the government changed its guidance for Jamaica to say that they no longer recommend going there for anything other than essential reasons, the wording that goes with red list destinations … but it stays amber.

What are the government playing at?

Watching Soccer Aid the presenters just mention that star guest Usain Bolt only flew in a couple of days ago… would you put it past them to be fudging the rules so that a VIP doesn’t need to isolate and miss the game? 

On 03/09/2021 at 17:55, Genie said:

My boss’s lad had it twice. The normal ready salted ‘rona, then the current one, only a few months apart. Wasn’t vaxxed at the time. Not particularly I’ll either occasion, happily.

• Thanks 1

On 03/09/2021 at 17:55, Genie said:

I know a nurse thats had it three times (at least), 4 months apart was the shortest interval

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Genie said:

The plan/dream is to go to Jamaica in December for my 40th so I’ve been keeping an eye on what’s going on there.

The last few weeks things have been going badly and all the predictions were that it was going into the red list last week. Everyone was surprised to see it remain amber.

The day after the government changed its guidance for Jamaica to say that they no longer recommend going there for anything other than essential reasons, the wording that goes with red list destinations … but it stays amber.

What are the government playing at?

Watching Soccer Aid the presenters just mention that star guest Usain Bolt only flew in a couple of days ago… would you put it past them to be fudging the rules so that a VIP doesn’t need to isolate and miss the game? 

Which senior minister has a house there? 

• Like 1

Â