Generic Virus Thread

villakram

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The wife's got the rona, she's now 2 weeks quarantine, me and the baby have our government ordered tests on monday

We fly to the UK on the 18th...

Fortunately my mom passed her fit to fly test and could go home yesterday 

Hope she is well with it mate.  She been jabbed? 

Just now, sidcow said:

Hope she is well with it mate.  She been jabbed? 

Yeah both jabs

She had a snotty nose then a headache then lost her taste and smell

She's pissed off, partly cos of it ruining my mom being here, mainly cos she can't taste which is killing her and then she's worried about passing the fit to fly to England test but that'll be on the 17th so touch wood it's enough time 

She's also obsessing over where she got it from which imo is a waste of time 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I've seen my kids suffer, particularly my son, from taking their GCSE's and A Levels after 2 years of interrupted schooling. 

There are literally insignificant numbers of young kids getting seriously ill.  I really think there will be more long term damage done to them now due to interrupted education. 

My kids fortunately go to a really good school, one of the top comprehensives in the country.  I can't even begin to imagine how disadvantaged some kids in inner city and poorer quality schools will be by now. 

I think it's time for them to get their lives back again now.  

I wouldn't be suprised if Covid already burned through schools in June/July anyway. 

My eldest is in his GCSE year this year.  It's like people are reading what I have written and hear me saying I want schools closed.  I don't want that at all, I want them open, but safe.  It is not a binary option of open with no safety measures or homeschooling. I want open with at least the same protections that we are giving adults. Covid is not only about how symptoms impair function and quality of life now. It’s also about what it means in terms of long-term organ function & development. We hope for the best, but we don’t know and no one can say that they do. Our children are part of a big old experiment by a government that does not listen to experts.

Again, I want my kids in school.  I want my kids to be safe whilst they are there.  I can see all over the world governments doing different things to help kids in school be safe, from buying air scrubbers, to regulating ensuring fresh air is regularly circulated or simply allowing masks.  We also need to be prepared for what happens if there is a school led spike in transmissions, which is not unlikely given we are going to be taking the largest group of unvaccinated people in the country and jamming them in rooms together for 8 hours a day.  The plan as I see it at the moment is to pretend there is no pandemic and hope that it works out.

I desperately don't want my eldest to have his exam year disrupted as his last 2 academic years have been, but I'm prepared to bet a pretty penny that the current plan will lead to more of the same.  He finished last year with only 14 of his class of 30 in school with the rest at home isolating, with many teachers not there and next to nothing being achieved.  2 years this has been going on and the plan is still "fingers crossed it will all be alright".

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Straggler said:

My eldest is in his GCSE year this year.  It's like people are reading what I have written and hear me saying I want schools closed.  I don't want that at all, I want them open, but safe.  It is not a binary option of open with no safety measures or homeschooling. I want open with at least the same protections that we are giving adults. Covid is not only about how symptoms impair function and quality of life now. It’s also about what it means in terms of long-term organ function & development. We hope for the best, but we don’t know and no one can say that they do. Our children are part of a big old experiment by a government that does not listen to experts.

Again, I want my kids in school.  I want my kids to be safe whilst they are there.  I can see all over the world governments doing different things to help kids in school be safe, from buying air scrubbers, to regulating ensuring fresh air is regularly circulated or simply allowing masks.  We also need to be prepared for what happens if there is a school led spike in transmissions, which is not unlikely given we are going to be taking the largest group of unvaccinated people in the country and jamming them in rooms together for 8 hours a day.  The plan as I see it at the moment is to pretend there is no pandemic and hope that it works out.

I desperately don't want my eldest to have his exam year disrupted as his last 2 academic years have been, but I'm prepared to bet a pretty penny that the current plan will lead to more of the same.  He finished last year with only 14 of his class of 30 in school with the rest at home isolating, with many teachers not there and next to nothing being achieved.  2 years this has been going on and the plan is still "fingers crossed it will all be alright".

Yeah, I knew that, I'm just voicing why I think you should sway towards them going in and dampen down the other concerns. 

Came back from Reading fest Monday, got a proper annoying cough. Done 2 laterals which both came back negative. Also feel fine aside from the coughing. Hoping it's just the usual case of festival flu.

The vaccine isn't a 100% prevention, and don't think it ever will be. But from following my state's data for a while, for what it is, it's actually pretty damn effective. It's something like 85% in preventing you from contracting it, 90% from getting hospitalized and 95% from going to the ICU. After seeing all that data, why in the world would you want to be 10x more likely to contract the disease and 20x more likely to go to the ICU etc? It doesn't make any sense.

yf5nNEa.png

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, MCU said:

Came back from Reading fest Monday, got a proper annoying cough. Done 2 laterals which both came back negative. Also feel fine aside from the coughing. Hoping it's just the usual case of festival flu.

Take a PCR test if you have a cough. The lateral flow test isn’t very effective when you actually have symptoms of Covid. Lateral flow is best for identifying Covid when you don’t have symptoms but might still be spreading the virus. 

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Take a PCR test if you have a cough. The lateral flow test isn’t very effective when you actually have symptoms of Covid. Lateral flow is best for identifying Covid when you don’t have symptoms but might still be spreading the virus. 

Didn't know this. Just ordered one. Supposed to be going to a wedding next week... f*** sake.

9 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Yes this.

Official guidance is:

No symptoms = lateral flow

Symtoms = PCR

• Like 1

Just now, MCU said:

Didn't know this. Just ordered one. Supposed to be going to a wedding next week... f*** sake.

You can probably get a local one quicker, even this evening. I think Birmingham airport are open quite later if you’re in the area. 

6 minutes ago, MCU said:

Fair. As you say, fingers crossed it’s just a cold/flu off the back of being at a festival. But always best to get tested properly at the minute. 

12 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Ontario.

They seem to have turned around the vaccine rollout quite well. I remember my parents in England were double-vaxxed either before or right around the same time as the same aged in-laws in Ontario got the first dose, but it seems like you sped up and passed us. Doesn't look like J Trudz is gonna get much thanks from the voters tho :)

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

They seem to have turned around the vaccine rollout quite well. I remember my parents in England were double-vaxxed either before or right around the same time as the same aged in-laws in Ontario, but it seems like you sped up and passed us. Doesn't look like J Trudz is gonna get much thanks from the voters tho :)

He had to cancel a speech here a couple of days ago due to safety concerns, with the usual bunch causing a ruckus. Federal election coming up, will be interested to see what happens. We look in pretty good shape despite Doug Ford's best attempts at fudging this up. Doubt that will give him any good will though. Party lines are as rigidly drawn as the States it seems.

• Like 1

People are being really silly here in W.A.Because we never really got the virus the vac for W.A.is the lowest in the whole country,by a long way.People dont seem to realise that just because we dont have it,its going to stay away.When we open our borders it will pour in like torrential rain and we will perobably be the worst country in the world because only something like 35% have been vaccinated.Sillyness of the highest digree. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

People are being really silly here in W.A.Because we never really got the virus the vac for W.A.is the lowest in the whole country,by a long way.People dont seem to realise that just because we dont have it,its going to stay away.When we open our borders it will pour in like torrential rain and we will perobably be the worst country in the world because only something like 35% have been vaccinated.Sillyness of the highest digree. 

Absolutely.

There we’re stories last year about how India had beaten the virus, then al hell broke loose. Scotland too actually. 

Â