Generic Virus Thread

villakram

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Sex work isn’t legal though is it? 

Well as far as I remember, it goes like this. Sex work isn't specifically illegal. It is Earning Money from Immoral Acts that is illegal.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Unfortunately the looting and violence won't change a thing. The officer has been arrested and will be charged I would expect. To rioting is just giving ammo to the authorities and for me is just despicable.

As for his family being devastated for what they are seeing in America alone, I'm not so sure?

His family have already said that they only wanted peaceful protest. 

The thing is, amongst those rioters there could be infiltrators stirring up the level of violence in order for the government/authorities to create stronger laws. Its been claimed many times before. 

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

Well as far as I remember, it goes like this. Sex work isn't specifically illegal. It is Earning Money from Immoral Acts that is illegal.

Is an 'immoral act' defined in law? Sounds like a matter for personal judgement to me. 

You could argue that the payment was for the shoulder rub. The knob rub was a gift. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Genie said:

Sex work isn’t legal though is it?

I'm not an expert. :)

A quick look here (pdf link), though, suggests that:

It is not illegal to pay for the services of a sex worker unless it can be proved that the worker was being exploited by someone else.

p.26

Obviously, there other offences like kerb crawling & soliciting (public place) and running a brothel but it would appear that it's fine to get someone round and pay them for sex.

One might imagine that this would be a work around for anyone who lived separately from their partner. I'd think twice about it before suggesting it, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

His family have already said that they only wanted peaceful protest. 

Black people have protested peacefully for years.

They knelt during the national anthem and were loudly abused by the POTUS and those below him. The VP spent 600k of tax payer money to go to an American football game, and walk out as soon as the players protested.

Is it surprising this is happening?

The founders of the States rioted because of tea prices. Their nation was founded on violent protest. And slavery. 

Totally off topic, sorry.

Edited by StefanAVFC

23 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

Regarding the virus, I'm surprised there's no news of it being widespread throughout Africa as you'd think something like this out there would be devastating. 

I'm not an expert by any means - but I used to work for a charity which dealt with issues across Africa. The main issue was the access to water - and some places you could walk 10 miles to access water. Africa is huge, there are vast areas where there are small communities but very far apart. My feeling would be that even if people in one village suffer, the likelihood of that transferring to another village is unlikely. Sure there are some massive countries within and people are close together - but I think it would be hard for the disease to move from place to place. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Is an 'immoral act' defined in law? Sounds like a matter for personal judgement to me. 

You could argue that the payment was for the shoulder rub. The knob rub was a gift. 

I think the legal phrase was Living Off Immoral Earnings, which is why they always prosecuted the madam and not the workers. I seem to recall that actually charging someone to have sex is legal as long as someone else isn't taking a cut

As I’ve mentioned previously I lived in stoke, they had a major issue with street prostitution around the time I relocated there (the two were not linked, honest).

So they basically allowed brothels to set up, largely in one area, which incidentally was close to every house I lived in whilst there (again, not linked, honest).

They weren’t even discreet, one was called ‘Head Office’, which I thought was genius. 

So far as I know they’re all still going, pre virus at least anyway.

7 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

As I’ve mentioned previously I lived in stoke, they had a major issue with street prostitution around the time I relocated there (the two were not linked, honest).

So they basically allowed brothels to set up, largely in one area, which incidentally was close to every house I lived in whilst there (again, not linked, honest).

They weren’t even discreet, one was called ‘Head Office’, which I thought was genius. 

So far as I know they’re all still going, pre virus at least anyway.

There's definitely one long established one currently open around here. My boss asked me about a particular job from there as it went to Manchester at 9pm. His commentwas that it was a weird job from that place and there were lots of them in the evenings from there. (Tere's a DIY plastics shop downstairs that shuts at 6). I had to tell him what it was :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Sex work isn't specifically illegal. It is Earning Money from Immoral Acts that is illegal.

That's why I normally pay with monster munch. 

So tomorrow I can go for a walk for the first time since shielding and yet yesterday’s death toll was higher than the date I was told to start shielding, not sure I understand the science, can anybody help?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sid4ever said:

So tomorrow I can go for a walk for the first time since shielding and yet yesterday’s death toll was higher than the date I was told to start shielding, not sure I understand the science, can anybody help?

To be fair, you could go for a walk at any time - you were just strongly advised not to.

I think the science roughly goes something like this: Lockdown (i.e. people can't leave their homes without a reasonable excuse) is over from 11:30 tomorrow so it might seem a harsh to be strongly advising some people not to even meet others face to face when everyone else can just bugger around as normal as long as they don't 'gather' and don't stay overnight somewhere, i.e. science schmience.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Sid4ever said:

Not that I particularly agree with the lifting of the lockdown, but the death toll is probably the wrong thing to be looking at in this regard. 

People who die from the virus today were likely infected 2 weeks ago. 

So it's probably new infections that should be the measure (or one of them) for whether we should be coming out of lockdown or not.

Now like I said that isn't really low enough either. But for death toll you kinda have to be looking at the death toll in a couple if weeks to tell if it's the right thing to do

It’s making the “facts” fit the situation. 
Situation is people need to get back to work otherwise economy will go beyond repair. Therefore the government are doing their best to make the other bits of the puzzle fit around that like getting kids back in school and allowing more movement. They can’t say it’s ok to work but not school / shops so it’s a package deal. They obviously didn’t think this through when they created the 5 level warning system as from tomorrow we’ll be in levels 1, 2, 3 & 4 all at the same time.

Hopefully the 2nd wave isn’t too big...

Edited by Genie

42 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Not that I particularly agree with the lifting of the lockdown, but the death toll is probably the wrong thing to be looking at in this regard. 

People who die from the virus today were likely infected 2 weeks ago. 

So it's probably new infections that should be the measure (or one of them) for whether we should be coming out of lockdown or not.

Now like I said that isn't really low enough either. But for death toll you kinda have to be looking at the death toll in a couple if weeks to tell if it's the right thing to do

Thanks @Stevo985 I did not look at the new infection number, but for me I found it strange that the daily death numbers are not lower now than in March but yet I am allowed to go out.  I posted earlier that my wife drove me to my favourite garden centre and I had a panic attack and today I see so many people out and about on beaches, in parks and I just wonder like many are we following the science.

As @Davkaus said are we following the electoral polls and getting Dominic off the front pages is the aim whilst not really considering the common man.

15 hours ago, blandy said:

Feb 6th was slightly under 4 months ago, or a third of a year. All the deaths have occurred in the last 4 months, right?  So that 0.03% of the population has died of virus in the last 4 months. You have to either extrapolate or have a full years data set. Taking a 4 month period’s deaths and then making an argument of a death rate per year around only the deaths so far is twisting the stats deliberately to make it look less lethal.

ya, my inability to count months was already called out, fair enough.

It doesn't work like you are saying however. There is a well known growth trend observed in many, many countries. Three times the current death toll is simplistic and wrong. 

Â