Generic Virus Thread

villakram

This Corona bollocks is starting to annoy me F1 this weekend cancelled, A Quite Place 2 release delayed the two things I was really looking forward to over the next two weekends

Football is still on and that is the one thing I wasn't looking forward to at all.

• Like 1

The pharmacist had 8 bottles of antibac left. I just bought it all. She looked at me like there's something wrong with me. 

On another note I see the US tried a 509 billion aid package to the stock market today. Didn't quite go to plan. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

The 2 scientists are a class act, however they are clearly getting advice from (and accepting advice from) “behavioural scientists” on the impact of different interventions, and this is where a lot of people (not just laypeople, but epidemiologists, scientists, social scientists, psychologists, etc) seem to be querying the robustness of the evidence.

David Halpern will have a lot to answer for. Ultimately the only thing I can say that I know for certain is that “behavioural science” is not a science as most people understand it. And its practitioners have a long history of favouring quirky, counterintuitive approaches to problems. This has all the hallmarks of academic showboating.

Classic Dom 

I'm reading that leading experts, some from top 5 universities are predicting that 30%-80% of the population will contract it within the year.

They are defining close contact as a 15 minute conversation with another person or sharing a room for 2 hours or more.

@wilko154 If you would like a list of places visited by people who've contracted it in Australia then I can send you a link, can't see why it'd help but just thought I'd offer anyway.

From Popbitch, could go in one of two threads:

Harvey Weinstein got a lucky break. 23 years in federal prison means he'll be moved out of Rikers Island: the facility from which NYC plans to source inmates to dig any mass graves required in the event of a deadly pandemic.

11 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

That’s really helpful for the next person who comes in and needs it...

Firstly, tough shit. Walk to 15 pharmacies like I did. 

Secondly it's for work, so not exactly straight up personal use. Take thst moral crap elsewhere. It's to keep my field guys healthy to sanitize their equipment. Didn't change the look on her face mind. 

24 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Maybe if somebody else hadn't bought the last eight bottles in the first one you went to, you wouldn't have had to walk to fourteen more.

Well, I good on them. First come first served. 

• Sad 1

It's the Flu (in it's contagiousness), washing your hands has similar effectiveness to airport security theatre. Calm down, isn't that what you lot say? Oh, apologies, I mixed up scouser with brit.

6 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Well, I good on them. First come first served. 

Yes, preventing other people in your community from keeping themselves free of the virus is definitely the way to stop a pandemic killing people around you.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Genie said:

Situations like this bring out the worst in people. Should be ashamed of yourself to buy such an excessive amount of what has become such an important commodity to people’s health.

Ashamed? Worst in people? Sure does bring out the stupid in people. Read before replying next time, or figure out what excessive means. It was not to personal use as already stated. 

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

Yes, preventing other people in your community from keeping themselves free of the virus is definitely the way to stop a pandemic killing people around you.

Preventing? Buying it for my colleagues? So by being smart, kind and proactive for my colleagues you get there? 

Sweet jesus some of you are desperate in the need to feel morally superior. 

• Like 1

I'm reading a report from a leading advisor to Hong Kong and professor, and he's saying that they are developing a vaccine and testing it on mice, with no display of side-effects. He anticipates that they will have the vaccine ready for distribution in one to one and a half years. He also suggests that this is the only measure for overcoming the virus, unless the entire populace contracts it and develops natural immunity. He goes on to use phrases like "it's a matter of compliance" and I'm thinking anyone waiving a mandated injection my way is going home that day with a broken nose and an ice-pack for it. I hate to sound like an idiot in saying that but I can't see how torturing rodents is a hard science, and I wonder why I should.

38 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Firstly, tough shit. Walk to 15 pharmacies like I did. 

That’s 15 doors you touched which are regularly touched by ill people. That 15 floors that your shoes touched that are likely to be contaminated. You then walked into your home. That’s 15 rooms full of potentially contaminated air that you breathed in. 

Â