The Royal Family

Genie

My lad has a cup game and thankfully someone somewhere agreed it was not necessary to cancel football matches.

I will take the dog for a big walk after. I know if I put the TV on I’ll be drawn in like a moth to a flame.

12 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

If they put his hat on at 2pm I'll be too busy trying to find out the line up for the Wolves match to care.

Frankly, I'm amazed they haven't cancelled the football. 

Just now, mjmooney said:

Me too, I do wonder if Charles himself requested things kept going as normal (where possible)?

I’m sure if he wanted everything shut down it would have been honoured.

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

If they did, I’m sure a few more would join in on this chant:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

The big day is going to look like, walking the dog first thing, then waiting till those **** at the other end of the street have finished their party so I can do a tip run.

Isn't the tip closed as a sign of respect?

Honestly, the only time I’ve ever seen massed ranks of people taking an oath to a head of State by name, was the Wehrmacht. It’s not a good look. Bit of an own goal this by the Royals, It just might give pause for thought, to those people who, through indifference or meek acceptance of the status quo enable this medieval farce to survive.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, meregreen said:

Heads of State should take an oath to serve the people, not the other way around. They should also be chosen by the people. And the people should have the right to get rid of them every 4 or 5 years. It’s called Democracy. We should try the full version of it one day, not the gerrymandered Royal bloody family one we have now.

I understand all of that...

...but I'm still not really sure what impact they have on my day to day life.  Is there a substantial one or not?

25 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I understand all of that...

...but I'm still not really sure what impact they have on my day to day life.  Is there a substantial one or not?

Not a day to day life example as such.

But if a scheduled cancer referral for me or a loved one was postponed because a funeral was taking place 200 miles away,  I would consider that to be reasonably impactful.

3 hours ago, meregreen said:

Heads of State should take an oath to serve the people, not the other way around. They should also be chosen by the people. And the people should have the right to get rid of them every 4 or 5 years. It’s called Democracy. We should try the full version of it one day, not the gerrymandered Royal bloody family one we have now.

Snip from the current King of Norway's coronation speech (roughly translated):

"I promise and swear thar I will rule the Kingdom of Norway in accordance with its constitution and laws, so help me God.... At this first meeting between the people's elected representatives and me as King of Norway, I would like to express the hope that the good relationship that has existed between the parliament and my father, and before that, my grandfather, can be maintained and then developed in line with the tasks the country will face in the future. The Queen and I want to confirm that we make ourselves available to carry out our work for country and people."

His grandfather (Prince Carl of Denmark, married to English Princess Maud) insisted that he wouldn't accept the throne offered to him unless a referendum accepted him as king. His father famously used public transport to go skiing (and bought a ticket like anyone else) during the 1973 petrol crisis. The king had to wait 7 years until he was allowed to marry the non-noble (albeit upper-class in Norwegian terms) girl his heart was committed to. His son, the current Crown Prince, married a single mom.

Politically I'm leaning very much to the left and should in theory be supportive of a republic with an elected president, but when I consider past and current political potential candidates for presidency with what we currently have as a decent line of purely ceremonial, well-grounded heads of state I'll stick with what we have.

Perhaps we got lucky that our minor branch of the Firm proved to be more down-to-earth?

Edited by TB
grammar

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

How many will happily take the Monday off work though? 

Don’t know, don’t really care. I’m fairly sure Celtic’s anti-monarchist credentials are solid enough, and what do you expect people to do? Go to work out of spite, even though most people’s place of work will be shut? I just thought the chant was funny, and I couldn’t give less of a f*** about the anachronistic coronation of an unelected head of state and the Royalist circle jerk that goes with it, personally. But hey, not my country, not my problem. As you were. 

• Like 3

Has anybody got the words for the pledge of allegiance to our liege lord?

Need to learn it, I don’t want to be reading it off paper or telly subtitles on the day like I can’t quite be arsed.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

How many will happily take the Monday off work though? 

Not me, I'm forced to be off to "celebrate" this horseshit, I'd rather have my day off back thanks

• Like 3

7 hours ago, bickster said:

If anyone wants to consult a Europe wide inbreeding chart, here ya go

ultx56ihqexa1.png

This just makes them more annoying. What the hell are we thinking revering this bunch of inbred chancers.

• Like 1

Â