The Royal Family

Genie

9 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

“the most important event the world will ever see”

Ok, it’s live telly so he may have misspoke and to be fair it’s not like speaking is something he has to be good at for his job. 

What I love about this is that it so mental that even Victoria Newman next to him, the editor of the Sun, has a brief glance of "wtf?" 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Indeed. The common retort is "better than president Boris/Truss/Blair", but really?

Given the choice, I'll take a short-term self-serving bellend we get to pick rather than a bellend for life, born into the right family. Added to that, with the only real role of our monarchs is to be publicly seen but not heard, and modern British politics trending towards the cult of leader personalities, head to head debates, etc, the PM becoming more and more "presidential" so we're basically ending up with the worst of both worlds anyway. 

An elected president with term limits also probably wouldn't have the stealth influence in the background, kept as far from prying eyes as possible.

You know it’s funny, before I would have made that same retort re just having a head of state who’s not Boris et Al. But that was because it was the queen. She was perfect as a constitution monarch and a head of state to be proud of.

what Ive realised is I’m not a royalist (I never really considered myself to be but I was fine with the queen), but just pro-Queen Elizabeth. Now she’s gone, I can’t see any argument for the royal family. Charles is a knob and so the head of state argument is over. 

12 hours ago, mjmooney said:

As I mentioned in the Relationships thread, it's our wedding anniversary today, and we're having a mini break in N. Yorks/NE coast. So, we're in the hotel restaurant, and at 8.00pm they announce a minute's silence and ask us to stand. Sigh. OK.

Only thing was, they forgot to turn off the piped music... 

"Today is gonna be the day that they're gonna throw it back to you now..." 

Deliciously farcical. 

Sounds like an oasis in the wall of silence. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

I don't get this never met bollocks. For some it maybe like a family member you never met, you wouldn't go to that funeral?

You may not have never met anyone who fought in the war, but you go to a memorial. I've been to the 911 site twice, first time was 6 months after it happened and had a moment, didn't know anyone there though.

If you think it's weird people queuing up for hours to see the coffin of our 70 year queen, that's fine, I probably wouldn't do it either. But I certainly don't disrespect the people who have, just because they didn't know the woman as a best friend, its historic, an will be with them for the rest of there lives, a moment in time.

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

For some it maybe like a family member you never met, you wouldn't go to that funeral?

Would I go to the funeral of a family member I never met?

No, why would I?

Funerals aren't events, they serve a purpose for those that knew the person

The Queen died, going to her funeral is like going to the funeral of your favourite soap character. The general public didn't know the Queen, they knew her public persona, much like most public figures, it was an act.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, bickster said:

Would I go to the funeral of a family member I never met?

No, why would I?

Funerals aren't events, they serve a purpose for those that knew the person

The Queen died, going to her funeral is like going to the funeral of your favourite soap character. The general public didn't know the Queen, they knew her public persona, much like most public figures, it was an act.

It's really not. It's historic, it's a little different than going to a Kardashian funeral, it you can't see that, then that's fine, it's your opinion.

But like others your trying to hard to stick to the narrative that she was a no one.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I don't get this never met bollocks. For some it maybe like a family member you never met, you wouldn't go to that funeral?

You may not have never met anyone who fought in the war, but you go to a memorial. I've been to the 911 site twice, first time was 6 months after it happened and had a moment, didn't know anyone there though.

If you think it's weird people queuing up for hours to see the coffin of our 70 year queen, that's fine, I probably wouldn't do it either. But I certainly don't disrespect the people who have, just because they didn't know the woman as a best friend, its historic, an will be with them for the rest of there lives, a moment in time.

to me there's a modern society angle to it, how many are there for the gram? how many are there so that they can tell their mates that they were there? there's some serious FOMO going on

i went to 9/11 to see it because its a tourist attraction, not out of respect for the dead, that's what this is too, its turned in to an event and with her being 70 its a once in a lifetime event, the respect element of it might be in there somewhere but its not first and foremost, how many of these people do you then think will queue again to see charles? 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

But like others your trying to hard to stick to the narrative that she was a no one.

He didn't say she was a no one did he and although I haven't read this thread religiously I don't recall seeing anyone say that on here.

Speaking for myself, and I think others may feel the same, is that I am not putting her up on any kind of pedestal. For me she was a very, very, very fortunate woman who was very, very, very lucky to be born into a life of privilege. It could have been any of us. She didn't have to graft her guts out to get to that position, didn't have to study for years, didn't have to hold down two jobs working 15/16/17 hour days 5/6/7 days a week.

That simply doesn't sit right with me that we live in a country where someone simply comes from a certain womb straight into a life of privilege paid for by the rest of the country and given a title and status that we are then supposed to look up to. F**k that.

Anyway I am off to get on with mowing my lawn, cleaning my drive and then giving mine and the missus car a wash. See you all on the other side of this OTT nonsense. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 4

Â