The Royal Family

Genie

2 hours ago, tomav84 said:

Why does she need to see a coffin, well you actually just see a flag covering a coffin, 7 times?! 

I bet she keeps them wristbands on as well, like them pricks who leave their Glastonbury parking sticker in their car window 5 years after they actually went. 

2 hours ago, meregreen said:

Not the point though is it. Whatever the result, it would be nice to be asked. 

We could be asked. But could we also have an specific answer on the alternative if the public voted for a change.

It would probably end up being David Beckham as our Lord Proctor or something.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

We could be asked. But could we also have an specific answer on the alternative if the public voted for a change.

It would probably end up being David Beckham as our Lord Proctor or something.

We as a country need to change a lot constitutionally, there are some very important questions

Monarch as Head of State Yes / No? No has an awful lot of consequences that have to follow on as a result

It means we move to a Presidential System because we cannot continue with the PM as Head of State, when 160,000 people decide who that is. That isn't democracy

If we move to a Presidential System and remove the Monarchy, the House of Lords also naturally should go, so we need to decide whether to completely change the electoral system

Separation of Church and State should also follow as a result

I'm all for that but I suspect a lot of the population aren't. I also don't think a referendum is the appropriate instrument to decide all those changes simultaneously There's more chance of changing the constituent parts first and then abolishing the monarchy

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Are they actually insane? What a bizarre way to treat your customers.

OMFG, that’s off the scale ridiculous. 
What do they think the consequences of staying open would be?

Close -> shit loads of unhappy customers, bad press, loss of revenue. 

Stay open -> absolutely fine.

I’m all for the monarchy as I like the pomp and ceremony, what it brings to our identity and tourism etc, but I’d like a serious monarchy redux. You’re either the king, the queen, the consort or the heir apparent. That’s it. No titles  or privileges to anyone else. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I’m all for the monarchy as I like the pomp and ceremony, what it brings to our identity and tourism etc, but I’d like a serious monarchy redux. You’re either the king, the queen, the consort or the heir apparent. That’s it. No titles  or privileges to anyone else. 

Have you seen Bastille day in Paris. It’s magnificent. They also attract far more tourists than we do. The class system in this country is still entrenched, it’s an obscene monster, and the institution of unelected monarchy is its head.Time to move on.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

its getting to poppywatch levels, waiting for someone on tv getting called out for not mourning enough

just wait until you see a news reporter not wearing black during the mourning period and they''ll be out

11 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Like to us non British people. We can't wrap our minds around the absurdity of what is happening. Like surely people are just pretending to care so much about UKs biggest celebrity dying? 

I've noticed among the other places I frequent and at work, the mood has started to change to incredulity and irritation a bit more, albeit cautiously expressed.

Amazing what broadcasting nothing but propaganda on every TV channel, radio station and pretty much every blank surface will do.

• Like 1

Â