Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

15 minutes ago, Kjøttbacken said:

Everyone with a salary

You’re getting quite close to «not very unpopular opinions» there. The left would say some high earners could pay marginally more in income tax and lower them for lower incomes, and the right would rather lower other taxes than lower income tax for ordinary workers. But lower income tax for most people is a popular opinion, more than anything.

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Every time I read things like this I realise how blessed I am. 

There's not 100% overlap, but broadly speaking, my wife and daughters (and now granddaughters) like the same music that I do. "Put some Neil Young on, Dad". It's great. 

Never happens Mike. In the house my wife is more accepting but no one ever says put something on. I am OK with it. I live in a house of critics. 

• Sad 1

I’m not bothered or phased by having to listen to other people’s music choices for a day.

I’d probably struggle if they were in to all that heavy metal / rock / extreme shouty stuff and wanted it on at volume, but other than that, not bothered.

• Like 1

My wife only wants to listen to music she’s heard before when we’re driving. She reckons listening to her playlist is the only fair option, as we’ve both heard the stuff on her list, whereas my lists are full of «new» stuff that she doesn’t know. Like I don’t have a problem listening to absolute rubbish, just because I’ve heard it before. 

My wife is a fantastic person and I love her very much. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, El Zen said:

You’re getting quite close to «not very unpopular opinions» there. The left would say some high earners could pay marginally more in income tax and lower them for lower incomes, and the right would rather lower other taxes than lower income tax for ordinary workers. But lower income tax for most people is a popular opinion, more than anything.

Well the OP appears to be Norwegian so they would be heavily taxed.  The difference is they get a decent return on it.

In Britain we pay a substantial amount of tax but get eff all for it and are left to the rampant merciless profiteering of the private sector.

13 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Well the OP appears to be Norwegian so they would be heavily taxed.  The difference is they get a decent return on it.

In Britain we pay a substantial amount of tax but get eff all for it and are left to the rampant merciless profiteering of the private sector.

I’m Norwegian too. We’re not actually as heavily taxed as people think, compared to other countries, but our public services are generally very good and people are generally willing to pay their share to help pay for them. Having the world’s largest sovereign fund helps keep taxes down, of course. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I’m not bothered or phased by having to listen to other people’s music choices for a day.

I’d probably struggle if they were in to all that heavy metal / rock / extreme shouty stuff and wanted it on at volume, but other than that, not bothered.

When we first moved into this house ( about 15 years ago ) there was a guy about 2 houses along that played Square dance music every weekend ( Swing your partner round and round ) in a really nasal voice.It got right up my nose,luckly he moved out after only about 3 weeks.

13 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

When we first moved into this house ( about 15 years ago ) there was a guy about 2 houses along that played Square dance music every weekend ( Swing your partner round and round ) in a really nasal voice.It got right up my nose,luckly he moved out after only about 3 weeks.

Did he own a Camper Van?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

You’ve recently moved haven’t you @Seat68 ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

You wouldn’t enjoy living next door to me, although I don’t listen to the extreme screaming shite 

I dont know if he owned a camper van and no we didnt move ( he did ) but to put things streight,I never complained because I beleive that you work all week, you should be able to relax on the weekend your owne way.Thats why I never complained, mind you if he had of stayed I would have asked him nicely if he could turn it down...please.If his answer was no then I would have given him a blast of my favourite kind of music,,,Drums

40 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

You wouldn’t enjoy living next door to me, although I don’t listen to the extreme screaming shite 

Do you ever use headphones?

I’m mostly headphones because I do appreciate my taste isn’t necessarily my fam’s taste or that of the guy three doors down.

13 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Do you ever use headphones?

I’m mostly headphones because I do appreciate my taste isn’t necessarily my fam’s taste or that of the guy three doors down.

I’ve buggered my ears up enough doing that, so no, not anymore. I have it on as loud as it will go , but I need new speakers because the ones I got ain’t loud enough. 

4 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I’ve buggered my ears up enough doing that, so no, not anymore. I have it on as loud as it will go , but I need new speakers because the ones I got ain’t loud enough. 

Gumtree is your friend!

The ones I’m using at the moment were £10 on Gumtree.

At that sort of price you can build a sound system stack.

7 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Every time I read things like this I realise how blessed I am. 

There's not 100% overlap, but broadly speaking, my wife and daughters (and now granddaughters) like the same music that I do. "Put some Neil Young on, Dad". It's great. 

My boy asks for Oasis or Liam Gallagher in the car. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

I dont know if he owned a camper van and no we didnt move ( he did ) but to put things streight,I never complained because I beleive that you work all week, you should be able to relax on the weekend your owne way.Thats why I never complained, mind you if he had of stayed I would have asked him nicely if he could turn it down...please.If his answer was no then I would have given him a blast of my favourite kind of music,,,Drums

Not if you are ruining other people's weekends. 

People just need to be more considerate with each other. If I have the football on in my flat, or the radio, i'm always thinking "is it too loud" or "can the people downstairs hear it", so its never that loud. 

Some people don't possess that chip and are selfish. Bad neighbours can ruin your life. I know @rjw63 had bad neighbours and my parents did as well, which forced them to move. 

• Like 4

Â