Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

I think it’s a list of one, personally. 

“World in Motion” is dreary and I think if England hadn’t had a good run during that tournament it would have been forgotten about. 

“Vindaloo” is basically a thought experiment come to life where it seems like the question was posed “how can we appeal to the working class by the lowest common denominator”. I actually find it fairly patronising. “What do people like? Curry! Vindaloo that’s the one people know, plus it has ‘loo’ in it! Yeah we can rhyme it with ‘Waterloo’ for some reason. Great, throw in a ‘na na na’ chorus because we can’t expect people to learn actual lyrics and we’re sorted!”. Shite.

At least “Three Lions” was written by people who followed the game and was a sincere attempt to capture the “ok, we’re a bit shit and we’re going to lose…but just maybe…” sense you get with football.

I’m not a fan of the phrase “It’s coming home” essentially being used as (not so) shorthand for “we’re going to win this football tournament”. But I’d much rather have that then people hilariously doing the John Barnes rap or telling me about “buckets of vindaloo”.

Edit - you know what, it’s crap, but I’d easily put “Back Home” ahead of both New Order and Fat Les’ efforts.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I think it’s a list of one, personally. 

“World in Motion” is dreary and I think if England hadn’t had a good run during that tournament it would have been forgotten about. 

“Vindaloo” is basically a thought experiment come to life where it seems like the question was posed “how can we appeal to the working class by the lowest common denominator”. I actually find it fairly patronising. “What do people like? Curry! Vindaloo that’s the one people know, plus it has ‘loo’ in it! Yeah we can rhyme it with ‘Waterloo’ for some reason. Great, throw in a ‘na na na’ chorus because we can’t expect people to learn actual lyrics and we’re sorted!”. Shite.

At least “Three Lions” was written by people who followed the game and was a sincere attempt to capture the “ok, we’re a bit shit and we’re going to lose…but just maybe…” sense you get with football.

I’m not a fan of the phrase “It’s coming home” essentially being used as (not so) shorthand for “we’re going to win this football tournament”. But I’d much rather have that then people hilariously doing the John Barnes rap or telling me about “buckets of vindaloo”.

Edit - you know what, it’s crap, but I’d easily put “Back Home” ahead of both New Order and Fat Les’ efforts.

I've often thought Vindaloo would have been a much better song without the Vindaloo bit and just replaced with Engerland instead. Agree the Vindaloo bit seems to be bit patronising and trying to appeal to a base view of average working class people.  But the ingredients (pardon the pun) are there for a good footy song. 

Completely disagree with comments on World in Motion, it's a good enough song in its own right. 

'Vindaloo' also seems to have killed off the 'England tournament song' genre? I'm not aware of any later efforts that actually broke through, maybe that's just me showing my age though.

I get where people are coming from in describing it as patronising, but I can't get that worked up about it. I do think they should force players to do a single, like they used to do in the 80s or whatever.

17 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

'Vindaloo' also seems to have killed off the 'England tournament song' genre? I'm not aware of any later efforts that actually broke through, maybe that's just me showing my age though.

I get where people are coming from in describing it as patronising, but I can't get that worked up about it. I do think they should force players to do a single, like they used to do in the 80s or whatever.

with grealish and chilwell to break off afterwards and do a cover of diamond lights

• Like 1

I actually think, inadvertently,  “Tubthumping” did what “Vindaloo” tried to do, but was far more successful and better captured the defiant spirit Keith Allen was after. 

I reckon a football crowd or a packed out beer garden is FAR more likely to sing “I get knocked down, but I get up again” than it will sing “we’re gonna score one more than you”.

1 hour ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

I'm glad we've all forgotten 'meat pie, sausage roll. Come on England give us a goal'...

'Ooh, we've got a corner'

Os that's today's earworm sorted... Thanks for that. 

• Thanks 1

The Farm of course rereleased “All together now” in 2004.

And before that Ant & Dec with “We’re on the ball” for the 2002 World Cup.

“They thought it was all over but it's only just begun
The cup of eastern promise in the land of the rising sun”

“Send an SOS, a country's in need
Sven's the man, he's got a plan, we've found a super Swede”

I think on balance, it’s probably a good thing these kind of songs aren’t released any more.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

The Farm of course rereleased “All together now” in 2004.

And before that Ant & Dec with “We’re on the ball” for the 2002 World Cup.

“They thought it was all over but it's only just begun
The cup of eastern promise in the land of the rising sun”

“Send an SOS, a country's in need
Sven's the man, he's got a plan, we've found a super Swede”

I think on balance, it’s probably a good thing these kind of songs aren’t released any more.

Somehow that did not pierce my consciousness!

Don't feel like I missed out on much.

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

Bastard. Alright not all football songs are shit but traditional football songs are. 

Love on the Terraces by Serious Drinking?

I think it's "Official" Football songs that are all wank

On 04/07/2021 at 12:53, Rugeley Villa said:

I’m not totally against GoFundMe pages for the less fortunate or for what I’d say is a valid reason, like young child needs key surgery but it’s in America and the patents can’t afford it, or parents are skint and they need time off to look after ill child etc etc . I personally wouldn’t set one up for myself or partner, purely because I’d feel it’s down to us to fund and support whatever , but I get some people are not fortunate and need help. Some well know bloke died in Rugeley not long ago. He wasn’t short of a few quid but a fund page was set up to pay for funeral . I didn’t agree with that at all and neither did his family..

What pissed me off is there is this idiot I used to work with who got sacked because she hardly turned up to work and on Facebook someone shared her GoFundMe page which was literally set up for people to help clear her £2k debt.  Well if you weren't so **** lazy and actually worked properly then you would have money you silly bell end.

• Like 1

Â