Team of the Decade

Zatman

It seems to be a media topic now, maybe time to turn to our team of the decade. Criteria from January 2010 to now. Some positions were extremely difficult and it's not really pretty (will post an alternate team too)

Friedel

Lowton Vlaar Mings Hutton

Gana

McGinn  Hourihane

Ashley Young                    Jack

Benteke

few notable absences: Tammy: (Benteke probably did more over longer period). Milner/Walker: (not here long enough) Adomah, Terry, Chester, Snoddy, Steer, Targett(only decent left back in the decade), Albrighton

Edited by Zatman

Friedel

Elmo       Chester   Mings    Targett

Delph

McGinn                Jack
                         Young

Benteke             Tammy

Difficult, as you always want to think players in their peak versus how they actually played for us. I will go on the latter. My side is skewed towards the present, but when you consider how much shite we had playing for us for so long, we're having to stretch back to end of O'Neill's reign for other contenders other than this side, and my memory dims. 

Goalkeeper: Brad Friedel takes it over Heaton, due to the fact he completed a full season with us during this decade - his last. Given, had a decent year with us and yes Brad Guzan did have one excellent season with us before falling off a cliff somewhat. Sam Johnstone - in the championship only so not really in consideration

Defence:  Lowton, Engels, Mings, Targett look, this looks like a case of present bias but just think of the alternatives. Ron Vlaar had his moments, and in 2010 Dunne was in the PFT Team of the Year :D so yes, he could also be a contender, but my memory of good Dunne is very much undone, pun intended by the years that followed. Maybe I should put Chester in, but again, performing in the championship, and I think Mings is better. Lowton scored two belters which is sneaking him in in ahead of Guilbert who has only played a few months of it. Terry was great but championship

Midfield:  Milner, McGinn, Delph Young , Petrov, Downing, a couple of alternatives maybe, Gana, a good shout above

Forward: Grealish, Benteke -  - Carew, Tammy, as back ups

Friedel

Young - Dunne - Mings - Hutton

Petrov - McGinn

Downing - Grealish - Young

Benteke

This is working from the 2010-2011 season onwards so I didn't count the second half of 2009-2010. Milner only played one game that season so I didn't put him in.

Edited by abdomlahor

Friedel

Walker       Dunne               Mings            Bertrand

Downing    Milner               Delph            Young

Grealish

Benteke

Taking some liberties with the fullbacks but in terms of best I've seen over the decade they absolutely get in. Targett was the only one I considered in Bertrand's place. In terms of centre mid I considered Petrov and Gana, Milner, well played in 2010 so there on a technicality and to be honest when he got moved in to central midfield he one was of the best I've ever seen wear the shirt in that position.

Grealish hasn't really played this role before for us but absolutely could do it and he has to be in the side. Benteke also by far the best forward we've had this decade and one of the best forwards we've ever had in the premier league. Yorke the only one above him.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 3

Friedel

Dunne - Vlaar - Mings

Young - Milner - Delph - McGinn - Grealish

Benteke - Tammy

3 at the back because we've had pretty terrible fullbacks really. 

• Like 1

@Zatman Benteke was special for a time. His finishing and ability to find the angle reliably and consistently were to a standard most strikers simply can't emulate.

It really only was Van Persie and Suarez who kept him from being the best striker in the league for a time, not because of goals scored in total, but the quality of play.

Tammy was pivotal in our promotion and I really, really like him, but Benteke when at his peak was at a level that I don't think Abraham will achieve.

We've had some great players here in the last decade, but too few and far between to amass to a squad capable of achievement among the best going around.

Heaton

Walker Terry Mings Ashley Young

Albrighton Milner Delph Downing

Grealish

Benteke

Ashley Young played full back for Man Utd plenty of times but never for us, so its a cop out putting him at full back in your teams

Edit - just realised its Luke Young, forgot he existed!

Edited by Junxs
  • Like 1

On 04/12/2019 at 15:55, Zatman said:

It seems to be a media topic now, maybe time to turn to our team of the decade. Criteria from January 2010 to now. Some positions were extremely difficult and it's not really pretty (will post an alternate team too)

Friedel

Lowton Vlaar Mings Hutton

Gana

McGinn  Hourihane

Ashley Young                    Jack

Benteke

few notable absences: Tammy: (Benteke probably did more over longer period). Milner/Walker: (not here long enough) Adomah, Terry, Chester, Snoddy, Steer, Targett(only decent left back in the decade), Albrighton

How come Mings gets in your team with less than a years football for us, but then you dismiss Milner/Walker. Pretty sure Friedel and Gana only had 1 year this decade with us too.

5 hours ago, Junxs said:

How come Mings gets in your team with less than a years football for us, but then you dismiss Milner/Walker. Pretty sure Friedel and Gana only had 1 year this decade with us too.

Mings has been here nearly twice as long as Milner/Walker and was crucial to a big moment in our recent times, promotion was absolutely crucial to us. Friedel was here 18 months and we havent had a better keeper since(maybe Heaton can be that) Gana was probably our best defensive midfielder in last 10 years and was the only bright spot in a shitty season

Â