Pre-Match thread (Cup Final 15 of 38)

zab6359

Click here for variety of stats, head to head etc

• Chelsea entertain Aston Villa after suffering back to back Premier League (PL) defeats for the first time this season, consigning a recent run of six league wins to history. Despite that decent league run, the ‘Blues’ have kept just one cleansheet in their previous eight competitive fixtures, while conceding 2+ goals in five of those matches.
  • Despite this, Frank Lampard’s men can counteract such defensive shortcomings with a strong attack that currently averages 2.0 goals per-PL game. They have also found the net first in a majority of their matches too, registering the opening goal in 78.57% of their PL fixtures so far.
  • Aston Villa’s form over their previous eight PL matches is best described as erratic (W3, D2, L3). Their attack has proven consistent though, netting 2+ goals in five of the fixtures. However, they also conceded 2+ goals in five of these matches too.
  • The visitors will certainly be eager to improve on their recent H2H PL record against Chelsea, after losing each of the previous four meetings. Three of those four defeats came by a margin of 2+ goals, with Villa also conceding an average of 2.75 goals per-match across the last four H2Hs.
  • Players to watch: Chelsea attacker Christian Pulisic has six goals in his last eight competitive appearances, with four of those efforts coming after half-time.
  • Following his wonder strike at Old Trafford on Sunday, Villa’s Jack Grealish has scored four goals in his last seven appearances.
  • Stat attack: At home, 66.67% of Chelsea’s PL goals scored or conceded have come in the second half.
  • Over three-quarters (78.57%) of Villa’s PL matches have contained over 2.5 match goals.
  • Aston Villa have conceded 40.9% of their league goals after the 75th minute.

The last five games at Stamford Bridge 

17.10.15    PL    Chelsea    Aston Villa    2 : 0
27.09.14    PL    Chelsea    Aston Villa    3 : 0
21.08.13    PL    Chelsea    Aston Villa    2 : 1
23.12.12    PL    Chelsea    Aston Villa    8 : 0
31.12.11    PL    Chelsea    Aston Villa    1 : 3

I'll take a point all day long.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

What do you base that on though?

All I’ve seen from Trez that I think is obviously better is he doesn’t look like he’s running in the shallow end.

My 15 yr old jack russell has more pace than Jota, wide players need pace Jota runs like a slug, he is not a PL player Trez for all his faults can hold his own in the PL, not saying he's a sensation but miles ahead of Jota as a winger. I think Jota would be better as a CM.

I'm 30 minutes into the Chelsea West Ham game, Snodgrass getting kicked to bits, James is a handful for Chelsea, Haller (who I rate) worse than Wes, Tomori very poor. Creswell looks the best player on the park. 

I fancy us for a point.

However! on 63 minutes they bring on Kante and Willian! Mean while we can bring on Lansbury and A N other!

Edited by zab6359

A win tomorrow, would bring us within 8 points of our hosts. A point would see us stay a point above a point a game average, which over the course of the season should secure our safety. This will be a tough one, but I'm sure West Ham felt the same at the weekend!

Our last win at Stamford Bridge came in 2011. We have lost our last four games there and have twice suffered particularly embarrassing defeats there during the past nine years (7-1 in 2010 & 8-0 in 2012). Overall, we have won 51 and have drawn 32 of the 138 league games, that there have been between the two clubs. We can take confidence from Sunday's performance and from the well deserved point that we took from that match. A win would be tremendous and West Ham have shown that they can be beaten. I would be more than happy with a point from this one though.       

Edited by John
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, zab6359 said:

I'm 30 minutes into the Chelsea West Ham game, Snodgrass getting kicked to bits, James is a handful for Chelsea, Haller (who I rate) worse than Wes, Tomori very poor. Creswell looks the best player on the park. 

I fancy us for a point.

However! on 63 minutes they bring on Kante and Willian! Mean while we can bring on Lansbury and A N other!

Who’s James?

Ok, this is where at with this one, if Abraham plays I think we’ll lose, if he’s missing we’ll get a positive result.  He’s that important to them this season.  

It was a good result on Sunday, but I think we need to freshen the side slightly.  Engels and especially Marvelous back in. Controversial, but I’m also in the “rest” McGinn for a game and hopefully see him come back in on Sunday full of running.

Heaton

Elmo      Engels     Mings     Targett

Luiz            Marvelous

Hourihane   

Trez              Wesley          Grealish

Subs:  Nyland, Konsa, Hause, McGinn, Lansbury, Jota, Kodjia

Edited by ferguson1

I do wonder if Smith will ring the changes with a busy month ahead and the 1st midweek PL game of the season. Elmo comes in but I expect Engels, Nakamba and maybe even Lansbury and Jota have a decent chance of starting.

1 hour ago, Elton said:

I do wonder if Smith will ring the changes with a busy month ahead and the 1st midweek PL game of the season. Elmo comes in but I expect Engels, Nakamba and maybe even Lansbury and Jota have a decent chance of starting.

If we are starting Lansbury and Jota at any point we are in the shite!

I think he will stick with Konsa but can see Marvelous getting a start. 

32 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Just seen Deans press conference ***** media wind me up all about Terry, how bloody disrespectful to Smith!

Not really. You must be easily wound up. Its JTs first return to SB in an opposing capacity... What did you expect them to ask?

They asked all the normal questions after 5 mins of talking of how Terry has been developing as a coach. 

Somewhat Regular Premier League Tidbits

We've played Manchester United 48 times in the Premier League for a record of 12 wins, 12 draws & 24 defeats, scoring 0.9583 GPG and conceding 1.6458 GPG with an average of 1 point per game.

As you would expect our record at Stamford Bridge in the Premier League is not as favourable as Villa Park with a total of 4 wins, 5 draws and 15 defeats. Averaging 1 GPG and conceding 2.125 PG and earning 0.7083 points per game.

The location of horrible 8-0 and 7-1 defeats in the past decade. Here's some fonder times:

9 minutes ago, chappy said:

Had a dream we went 2-0 up early with goals from Hourihane and Elmo. Woke up so no idea if we went on to win!

We did!  Pressed the snooze button a couple of times in order to finish the game!!  Now, when you’re out the shower, do you want toast? 

• Haha 1