Pre-Match thread (Cup Final 15 of 38)

zab6359

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Real shame if true.

We all thought he were possibly the best signing during Pre season.

Looked very good in pre-season and also against Everton, but I just feel (and you don't have to agree with me) he always looks well off the pace. He can see a pass so has his uses, particularly in games where we might see a lot of the ball, but not really a starter for me especially against a side like Chelsea. 

Tbh I'm gutted AEG looks like missing out, been fantastic for us this season. 

36 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I don't know what's happening to me.

I fancy us to win this.

Apart from that 8-0, games at Stamford Bridge are generally very enjoyable. We always seem like we can get something there, even in their pomp under Mourinho and Ancelotti. The 4-4 and 3-3 come to mind. If West Ham can go there and turn them over, I fancy us too, especially off the back of our performance at Old Trafford. I'd bring in Marvelous for Conor to duke it out with Kante in there, and Engels for Konsa.

Since I looked at Man U’s forum, I thought I’d have a peak at Chelsea’s too. They’re much more complimentary about Villa on there, a fair amount of praise for the way we play. Dare I say that they are more likely to watch or take notice of other teams than United? It seems that way. 

In other news, this is the first time Terry has been back at Stamford Bridge when representing their opposition. How many of their players will have been their when he was? Not many I don’t think. 

1 hour ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

he always looks well off the pace.

I think you're right. I don't think he's a winger.

He will influence the game more from more central areas. Because he's passing is top notch.

Too bad we don't use a number 10 in our system.

Edited by villalad21

6 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Absolutely no idea what people have seen in Trezeguet to be so confident he’s a better player than Jota.

As much as I like how he plays, that’s not meant as a ringing endorsement of Jota.

Trez is a better wide player.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Exactly my thoughts. I don't think Jota is anywhere near this level personally - too slow and too weak and far too one footed. I'd select exactly the midfield you selected, though Hourihane or Luiz you could go with either. 

Guilbert missing will be tough for us but Elmo should hopefully do a solid, if unspectacular, job. 

I think Jota was more of a punt by DS to see if he could cut it in the PL which he obviously can't, he cost bugger all so no biggie.

I'd prefer Luis over Conor for this one I just think Chelsea have a stronger midfield than manure and he will be more useful, but then Conor brings his set pieces.

I trust Elmo to do a job for us.

7 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I think you're right. I don't think he's a winger.

He will influence the game more from more central areas. Because he's passing is top notch.

Too bad we don't use a number 10 in our system.

I agree with this. Jota is best served in a game where we’d likely dominate possession, at home and against a team without the quality of Chelsea. He can’t defend at-all and is tremendously weak and one footed. Chelsea will have plenty of the ball so Jota isn’t the right fit. That said, I like the guy and there’s clear talent there but only really in selected games. Had great feet and can pass but he isn’t right for these sorts of games, in my opinion. Plus, he’s not match fit. 

Guilbert will be a big miss as he brings a real threat down our right. I’d be more hopeful if Tammy wasn’t playing as he can certainly hurt teams. They have some pure class and play with rear fluidity and intensity with the likes of Pulisic and William capable of smashing through teams. But we’re a threat and if we can score first it’ll be interesting. Got nothing to fear and more pressure on Chelsea than us. Listening to Jack’s post United interview he came across as though he has to gee the other players up about our next couple of games and give them belief we can get something. Was slightly concerned with that as I hoped our boys felt that themselves. I could be absolutely wrong in how I read into his words but it came across that way (to myself, at least). We should have confidence in our ability as we’ve given everyone a game so far this season and have nothing to fear. All games in this league are tough but we went through everything to get ourselves promoted so we can play in these games and go at teams with no fear. It’ll be tough and we’ll need a lot of resilience and moments of quality. As I say, pressure is much more on them than ourselves. 

Edited by roonst83

10 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Real shame if true.

We all thought he were possibly the best signing during Pre season.

You have to look at the opposition pre-season though. I think he is a great player just not a PL player.

11 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Guilbert missing will be tough for us but Elmo should hopefully do a solid, if unspectacular, job. 

I know he won’t overlap like Guilbert does but Elmo has a better delivery. I’m always confident he’ll put in a decent ball 9 times out of 10.

• Like 2

This is a fixture I just can't predict. Fearful of those 7 and 8 goal defeats late on in our previous Premier League tenure, but balanced by some heart-warming football performances we've seen this season, even if the results haven't always shown.

Abraham (if available) and Pulisic are the key players for me that we need to keep an eye on and stifle.

Given our respective player resources and the current league table positions, a loss would be 'meh,' a draw would be fantastic, and a win would be proper rocket polishingly good. This would be a great scalp for us, but I can't see Chelsea losing two league fixtures at home in a week.

10 hours ago, zab6359 said:

I think Jota was more of a punt by DS to see if he could cut it in the PL which he obviously can't, he cost bugger all so no biggie.

So you're writing off Jota after 5 Premier League appearances whilst requiring a hernia operation?

He isn't a pacey winger in the mould of AEG or Trez but he is certainly skillful enough for this level, it's just how Smith can utilise him in a team.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I wonder if Kante will play? Might be an interesting test for Jack if they put Kante on him for 90 mins. 

Kante isn't used in the sitting role at Chelsea.

He is playing as a box to box midfielder with a lot of license to get forward.

think we'll get beaten...they're much better than the likes of man u and arsenal. take a point vs leicester and think a 2 point return from these 3 games would be decent. 2-1 chelsea