Pre match (12th cup final of 28)

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, TRO said:

The danger is Terry....we can't keep accepting defeat, with mitigating comments.I am one of those who think we will improve, but games do eventually run out, there is no game like the next game to win......if we look at the fixtures its daunting.....we just have to look at the next game and say "we are going to win that".

As you know, i have referred to Sheff Utd a lot lately.....The fighting spirit and will to secure points is most impressive....I make no apologies for doing so.

We have a young side and should have energy to burn.....We have to pick up points or face a major set back.

I think desire and determination is the main thing to cling to....to do so.

We have the skill.....we have to ensure we apply it.

It’s realistic to accept we will suffer around 20 defeats. The order doesn’t matter one bit.

Its unrealistic - and potentially very damaging, if supporters “ don’t accept” that.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, TRO said:

As you know, i have referred to Sheff Utd a lot lately.....The fighting spirit and will to secure points is most impressive....I make no apologies for doing so.

Nothing aggravates me more than people talking up rivals whilst criticising ourselves.

Especially when it’s based on tiny differences. 
So they are impressive ? Two Wins more from one game more ? Just 23 games between us so far ?

I am very impressed with my Club if it’s all the same to you !  I’m very proud of the huge progress made, and am confident we will be fine.
A couple of weeks ago it was all about how well Norwich were doing.

As with the whole debate, there is, in my view, continually far too much being made of every twist, turn, and result.

The idea that it’s all over if we don’t Win this game, or that game, or if we conceed here, or don’t score there....it’s infuriatingly short sighted and knee jerk. I kind of expect it of the younger fans, but when an old fart like you does it....... why not just calm down, take a longer view ?

• Sad 1

On 04/11/2019 at 18:41, sir_gary_cahill said:

I have dropped Grealish because I don’t think his performances this season have been good enough this season. It would send a message to the rest of the team that you can’t just walk back in to the team. Personally, I thought we functioned better as a team, particularly in the first half against Liverpool, without Grealish 

Are you Southgate in disguise?  😄 

• Haha 1

I'd like to have Luiz as our holding midfielder, I think it would contribute more to our passing and possession. He wants the ball all the time and is exceptional in keeping it and finding passes. I think Nakamba is more mobile and has a better engine, so he could play the McGinn role but to the left of Luiz, I'd like to see more what Nakamba can do attacking wise as well, he seems to have a trick in him and is good with the ball. Alternatively I'd try having both Nakamba and Luiz as holding midfielders when we play away. 

11 hours ago, Andy81 said:

Yes, we're all inbred monsters who live in caves doing nothing but wishing for the downfall of our witty neighbours.

Six fingers, I'll have to remember that one, you must be the Holte End's Oscar Wilde!

I was in The Great Western a few years ago before a game at Molinau... Mollenew...... Moulinax...... Your place with my Wolves mate and his friends and we saw a Wolves fan who forever since is referred to as Lord Byron. I guess you had to be there, if you saw him you would understand but apparently he's never been seen in there before or since. 

I should probably have drunk less beer before posting this. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, screwdriver said:

I'd take a point if you'd ask me this morning. But seeing sheffield united top 5 and leicestor destroying arsenal, it's time smith gave us something.

sick of waiting for something to happen this season. not one big scalp. same script every weekend plucky losers im sick of watching it.

I want a dirty win. nothing less.

You only have to watch both teams to know why.

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

It’s realistic to accept we will suffer around 20 defeats. The order doesn’t matter one bit.

Its unrealistic - and potentially very damaging, if supporters “ don’t accept” that.

I simply don't agree or accept it.

We have arguably better players than Sheff Utd as one example....do they accept 20 defeats,? not bloody likely.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, TRO said:

I simply don't agree or accept it.

We have arguably better players than Sheff Utd as one example....do they accept 20 defeats,? not bloody likely.

In the last 6 seasons the promoted sides have lost

22,21,19,19,19,24,18,17,22,20,20,22,18,16,19,13,24,26 games.

10 stayed up, 8 went down. Whether you like it or not, it IS realistic to anticipate losing around 20 games. And yes, Sheffield United will accept losing 20 games. As will Deano. All that matters this year is staying up.

The problem with fans who “ won’t accept it” is the very real one that it’s THEY who will be the biggest problem over the Season. If you “ won’t accept “ something which has a very real likelihood of happening where does that lead ? 
It leads, sooner or later, to calls for the Managers head, pressure on players, tension at the ground, and all the rest.

It is sensible, and reasonable, to accept around 20 defeats. It’s not sensible, or reasonable, to refuse to accept it.

I have great faith and belief in our squad and Manager. I’ve found nothing to criticise them for so far this season. I don’t look at other sides and muse that they appear to be doing X Y or Z better than us.

I believe we can finish as high as 11- 12 th. 

But that is very very different to what I find “acceptable”.

• Like 2

This game is huge, both mentality wise or even results wise.

Last two wins were huge, before going into hard fixture. These two are the same, this one is against a local rival, and a potential midtable side which we could finish above.

Next one is against a relegation candidate.

Beating Wolves will give us a huge lift, confidence and even a good league place. Add to that it will give us more comfort about our chances of staying up.

I think this game is the most one I’ve so worried about since the beginning of the season. I think its the most important game of this season. Well, Everton was important too.

Next two games are not necessarily season defining, however they are a good indicator of where we fit in among the Premier League.

As for Wolves in particular, I think the biggest difference between us and them is that they have implemented a system that works and had it in place far longer.

That's okay. I rate our chances here. I really hope I'm right in thinking we''ll take the three points here, provided we don't go behind and leave it too late.

• Like 1

Normally I don't want us to score early as we are not the best at holding on to leads, however against wolves its a little different if we can get them chasing the game early rather than there normal counter attacking it real could go in our favour!

5 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Normally I don't want us to score early as we are not the best at holding on to leads, however against wolves its a little different if we can get them chasing the game early rather than there normal counter attacking it real could go in our favour!

Wolves have a ridiculous record for scoring late recently. We need to score a few early on! 😆

9 hours ago, sidcow said:

I was in The Great Western a few years ago before a game at Molinau... Mollenew...... Moulinax...... Your place with my Wolves mate and his friends and we saw a Wolves fan who forever since is referred to as Lord Byron. I guess you had to be there, if you saw him you would understand but apparently he's never been seen in there before or since. 

I should probably have drunk less beer before posting this. 

Great pub, that’s my first stop today after getting off the train.