Pre match (12th cup final of 28)

Demitri_C

4 hours ago, Andy81 said:

Villa fans are all over wolves’ Twitter hashtag too. Heard this referred to as the ‘twitter derby’ as those are the only fans who really seem to care. 

for us this game is secondary in importance to the Bratislava game in my opinion this week. 
I have a bad feeling about Sunday to be honest. 

You're right in respect it's the idiots on social media on both sides shouting the loudest. Your European exploits surely help us, not to mention your poor record against sides nearer the bottom. 

Edited by MikeAVFC
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Is Jota even fit, I swear given from memory SGC has some Irish blood (?) he must've had an encounter with Hourihane in the past.:lol:

People might not rate him as a top level prem footballer which is fair enough but aside from SGC I can't believe anyone else would say at this point he's not one of the best 18 footballers at the club.

Bit of Welsh in me that’s all

On 04/11/2019 at 17:41, sir_gary_cahill said:

My side for this match would be:

Heaton

Guilbert (if fit if not Elmohamady *shudders*) Engels Mings (c) Targett

McGinn Nakamba Luiz

Trezeguet Wesley El Ghazi

Bench: Steer, Konsa, Taylor, Lansbury, Grealish, Davis, Jota

I have dropped Grealish because I don’t think his performances this season have been good enough this season. It would send a message to the rest of the team that you can’t just walk back in to the team. Personally, I thought we functioned better as a team, particularly in the first half against Liverpool, without Grealish 

There’s an argument for not changing a team that performed well, although in fairness our midfield stats were poor. I can’t see anything other than jack starting unless a question mark over fitness persists. I think Luiz or AEG will give way.

The challenge for the team will be tracking Adama from wing back. I think it’s how we resolve this that will determine who gives way, but Jack offers so many options to the team in possession, offensively and also does his fair share of defensive work. He never goes missing which I can’t say about Trez, AEG and to some extent Luiz.

Can’t wait for Sunday. I really hope we get the three points to get us back on track. Three draws for them in the league since their win at city, their form has improved. But then we are also improving. It promises to be a good game, fingers crossed we win it. 

I hope Bratislava give them a hard game tomorrow, and if they pick up a few knocks - even better. 

They have real quality up front.

A talented but slow midfield, with consistent wide players plus all or nothing Traore.

We can get at the defence.

If we play well, we'll take points.

Nasty feeling actually. Feels like we've played OK recently a lot and not got the points we probably deserve. Feel like a bad performance could pop up soon.

• Like 1

Wolves last beat us two years ago, which was when we last visited Molineux. Since then they have lost the two games they have played against us at Villa Park. We were beaten on our last two league visits to Molineux in 2017, but prior to that had not lost there since 1978. Overall, we have won 46 and have drawn 26 of the 108 league games, that there have been between the two clubs. 

A win would take us a point above our hosts and it would also move us nearer to the middle of the table than the foot of it. Even a defeat would not see us drop into the bottom three, but we don't want another one of them! Wolves have drawn 3 of their 5 home games this season, so given they have also lost 1 of these 5, their stadium is not impregnable. A draw would see us averaging a point a game after our first 12 games, which should see us to safety if we are able to reach 38 points at the season's end. 

It is claimed that over the course of a season, points lost due to VAR will be evened out. If that is to prove the case for us, then we need to start getting a few decisions going our way sooner rather than later! Sunday would be a nice time for that to start happening. A win would be very welcome, I would also find avoiding defeat acceptable. That said, just win it for us Villa! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Correct me if I’m wrong but the last times Traore faced us were the playoff semifinal against Middlesbrough, where Hutton totally  pocketed him, and the Middlesbrough at home 0-0 where he got sent off early on. 

Yeah, I’m not worried by Traore. He’s still too inconsistent, even with his better current end product. 

It's unlikely but I think one option could be -

Heaton

Guilbert---Mings---Engels---Targett

Trezeguet----Nakamba---McGinn---Hourihane

El Ghazi

Wesley

With Grealish and Douglas to come on to give us a near the end lift to finish the game stronger than we have been doing. There's risk to doing this (Douglas and obviously Grealish are two of our best players I know, so the 'if fit = play' mantra will most likely apply) but I think it has a strong chance of paying off in my opinion.

I'd also like to see one game with El Ghazi in that sort of free role, firstly to see what he'd do with it, but also to give a bit of support to Wesley and not have to worry so much about defensive duties down the flanks. I could see El Ghazi and Hourihane being interchangeable here, but I think, in this set up, El Ghazi would be the more likely one to take a bit of pressure off Wesley but also be a bit more vocal and forceful than Hourihane. Hourihane may also get a bit of space and whip some beauties in with that peachy left.

I also think we'll surprise a few people, Wolves included, and win 4-1 :flag: 

• Like 1

This will certainly be a close game, and I can see a draw coming. For me that is not a bad result, but 3 points would be much appreciated.

Wolves are a decent side but desperately missing Boly at the back - whether Wesley will be able to deal with 3 centre backs will be interesting to see. It's games like this is really wish there was a pacy strike partner for Wesley to play alongside, someone who can break the lines and keep more defenders busy. With one up front, Wolves can simply man mark Wesley and still have 2 centre backs free to close down wider players or midfielders along with wing backs. So for all their problems at the back, I think we will have a hard time getting Wesley into the game. Ideally the wingers would play a little more narrow and free up the wings for the full backs to exploit the wide option - the classic FM raumdeuter role.

Defensively we have actually conceded the 4th most goals in the league so far, despite a lot of positive opinion on our defence the statistics do not match. Wolves' strength is attacking and even though Adama is generally regarded as useless on this forum, he's had something of a renaissance recently and he will provide Targett with a few issues. In fact, he was in the WhoScored European team of the month for October, alongside Grealish. Jimenez is a good finisher and they have a couple of other goalscorers in their squad.

It may not be one of our traditional derbies, but it's the best we've got this season, so bring it on.

• Like 1

Desperately need to win this game. not just for our league position. This our new Blue nose game. Bragging rights are needed. I live in Telford where every one is a Dingle, Utd or Liverpool fan. Come on Villa lets have another 4:1 please  

On 04/11/2019 at 17:41, sir_gary_cahill said:

My side for this match would be:

Heaton

Guilbert (if fit if not Elmohamady *shudders*) Engels Mings (c) Targett

McGinn Nakamba Luiz

Trezeguet Wesley El Ghazi

Bench: Steer, Konsa, Taylor, Lansbury, Grealish, Davis, Jota

I have dropped Grealish because I don’t think his performances this season have been good enough this season. It would send a message to the rest of the team that you can’t just walk back in to the team. Personally, I thought we functioned better as a team, particularly in the first half against Liverpool, without Grealish 

We should play Gary Gardner instead 😂