The Hung Like a Donkey General Election December 2019 Thread

Jareth

Which Cunch of Bunts are you voting for?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Which Cunch of Bunts Gets Your Hard Fought Cross

• The Evil Abusers Of The Working Man Dark Blue Team
    • The Hopelessly Divided Unicorn Chasing Red Team
    • The Couldn't Trust Them Even You Wanted To Yellow Team
    • The Demagogue Worshiping Light Blue Corportation
    • The Hippy Drippy Green Team
    • One of the Parties In The Occupied Territories That Hates England
    • I Live In Northern Ireland And My Choice Is Dictated By The Leader Of A Cult
    • I'm Out There And Found Someone Else To Vote For

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/12/19 at 23:00

35 minutes ago, Rodders said:

See I read that and for the problem is the complete lack of sufficient infrastructure - not the immigrants. 

On the population numbers, what would be relevant is how much they contribute to the pressures versus general population growth anyway. 

A quick google ( https://www.migrationwatchuk.org/statistics-net-migration-statistics ) brings up: 

• According to the latest estimates by the Office for National Statistics (ONS), net migration from overseas to the UK in the year ending March 2019 totalled 226,000 (about double the average level of annual net migration during the period since 1975, which was just over 113,000 per year). See the latest estimates hereand the latest Migration Statistics Quarterly Report.
  • The ONS has said the latest estimates are ‘experimental’ following the identification of limitations regarding the main source of the figures – the International Passenger Survey. Here is the ONS’s full briefing on the various adjustments resulting from these findings: ‘Understanding different migration data sources: August 2019 progress report’ (August 2019).

Given that shutting off migration entirely is daft, I really can't see how curtailing migration would have made any significant difference to our problems. You spread that figure out across the country and the impact is going to be a fairly negligible element contribution to each region.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t quite work like that. People don’t tend to spread themselves out equally. Those ONS figures show that the population of Scotland grew by 0.2% last year. I think you can call that negligible, it must be well within any margin of error.
But you then look at the figures for Tower Hamlets, population in 2016 was 302,000 and the population in 2017 was 317,000 increasing at 25 times the rate in Scotland. As pointed out above, an extra 15,000 every year in Tower Hamlets, I doubt they’re building an extra school every year. 

**It’s fascinating, I just found Tower Hamlets own figures and projections.
The population in 2012 was 263,000, they estimate that in 2020 it will be 328,000
They estimate that between 2018 and 2028 they’ll see a rise of 40% in the number of over 65’s in the Borough.

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Unfortunately, it doesn’t quite work like that. People don’t tend to spread themselves out equally. Those ONS figures show that the population of Scotland grew by 0.2% last year. I think you can call that negligible, it must be well within any margin of error.
But you then look at the figures for Tower Hamlets, population in 2016 was 302,000 and the population in 2017 was 317,000 increasing at 25 times the rate in Scotland. As pointed out above, an extra 15,000 every year in Tower Hamlets, I doubt they’re building an extra school every year. 

Yes, I was mid posting and got cut off by a colleague so I posted that a little too soon

I was going to add a caveat that migration isn't neatly spread around, and large clusters will emerge, where communities presumably find each other, but the problem is still one of infrastructure though. These clusters might lead to more intense pressure points on GP / school / etc in the area,  but that pressure is going to exist independent of the added migration.  Scaling back numbers might help temporarily, or maybe not - consider where they might be working in that area - but any alleviation on incoming numbers in hot spots is going to be nothing more than a sticking plaster to issues that concern people, they'd soon find out the services are struggling regardless

51 minutes ago, Awol said:

Those were the days, going down the NAAFI for furious debates about climate change and predatory capitalism...

I’m on a third stint at Uni and drowning in leftie gibberish about intersectionality, not right-wing economic theory. Btw, my preferred pronouns are He/Hee (currently identify as Michael Jackson).

Shout when you get the bit about not getting out of a hole witha bigger spade.

Left and Right is outmoded in many countries. The likes of Putin represent themselves.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Awol said:

Those were the days, going down the NAAFI for furious debates about climate change and predatory capitalism...

I’m on a third stint at Uni and drowning in leftie gibberish about intersectionality, not right-wing economic theory. Btw, my preferred pronouns are He/Hee (currently identify as Michael Jackson).

Hilarious. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Awol said:

I’m on a third stint at Uni and drowning in leftie gibberish about intersectionality, not right-wing economic theory. Btw, my preferred pronouns are He/Hee

Quite a few lefties regard the continual focus on personal identity and remembering preferred pronouns as a diversion from the bigger issues.

But I must admit the thought of you trapped in a room with a group of youngsters trying to discuss these things with you, makes me smile.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'm reading that Best for Britain has changed its recommended Party to vote for in 82 seats from LibDem to Labour

Someone must have told them the pretense that they're not partisan has done it's job re. the piss Tories.

• Like 1

Speaking of the Acceptable Face of word removed -ery Party, they seem to have spent rather a lot of today rolling back their revoke pledge that had as much connection to reality as my wish to make a time machine.

Good old Piss Tories.

3 hours ago, Risso said:

Erm, I wouldn't imagine so.  I think the whole point of the advert is that post-Brexit, by allowing people with the relevant skills in from all over the world rather than people from the EU having priority, there will be ample opportunities to make sure the NHS is adequately staffed.

Aha! So instead of having to select from 1) qualified UK nationals, 2) qualified EU nationals who have elected to live here, and 3) qualified applicants from the RotW who want to go through the rigorous and potentially costly visa applications process, we will instead be able to select from 1) qualified UK nationals, and 2) qualified applicants from the EU and the RotW who want to go through the rigorous and potentially costly visa applications process.

Seems like a great strategy. Making it harder and potentially more costly to access a career that already pays shit wages to most of its workforce.

The poster is blatantly aimed at stoking xenophobic mindsets.

The angle it is taking, about pressure on the NHS, would be better represented if it said "We're protecting the NHS by ordering a mandatory cull of over the 75s".

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

The angle it is taking, about pressure on the NHS, would be better represented if it said "We're protecting the NHS by ordering a mandatory cull of over the 75s".

No way, that's their core demographic. 

They just haven't fully worked out how to cull the under-30s yet. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

That 'Hindu Council' guy that people were joyfully touting around yesterday evening looks worse by the minute. Here he is claiming that an 8-year-old rape victim, wasn't actually raped:

Off topic but it’s disgusting what is happening in Kashmir at the moment. Similar things happened in Punjabi and Delhi in the 80s. Many Sikhs have never forgiven the Indian government and never well. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

The YouGov seat projection thing looks pretty grim with a Tory majority of 68.  I'd still take these things with a pinch of salt though.

I’ve seen projections of tory majorities between 20 to 60. i suppose the thing to remember would be everyone was caught out last time by Labour gaining 30 seats. So just to retain the ‘surprise 30’ would be quite a task.

In 30 of the seats they reckon Tories will take from Labour their leads is apparently under 5%.

The most likely result has always been a Tory majority and if this poll is correct it seems they have won it by taking leave voting constituencies from Labour in the midlands and north.