Do you read?

Luke_W

Can't recommend the book I'm reading now enough.

Cryptonomicon - Neal Stephenson.

It's far too batshit crazy and surreal to fully explain. I'll give you some key words: Enigma, Pearl Harbour, Morphine Addiction, U-Boat captain in a strait jacket, Internet routers in caves, erotic letters to penthouse, SE asian sultans, Alan Turing and many other things. Great great book.

Oh yes. **** GRRREEEAAAAAAT book.

When you've finished it, start immediately on The Baroque Cycle (a trilogy, first book is "Quicksilver"). Sort of a prequel to Cryptonomicon, but that doesn't do it justice - it's even better. A sort of 17th Century alternative history, but... **** it, just read it.

Got all his books over xmas so I have a lot of reading to do.

Can't recommend the book I'm reading now enough.

Cryptonomicon - Neal Stephenson.

It's far too batshit crazy and surreal to fully explain. I'll give you some key words: Enigma, Pearl Harbour, Morphine Addiction, U-Boat captain in a strait jacket, Internet routers in caves, erotic letters to penthouse, SE asian sultans, Alan Turing and many other things. Great great book.

Oh yes. **** GRRREEEAAAAAAT book.

When you've finished it, start immediately on The Baroque Cycle (a trilogy, first book is "Quicksilver"). Sort of a prequel to Cryptonomicon, but that doesn't do it justice - it's even better. A sort of 17th Century alternative history, but... **** it, just read it.

Got all his books over xmas so I have a lot of reading to do.

Bloody hell, yes you do.

In some countries the trilogy has been released into 8 parts.

Even Cryptonomicon was chopped into to a trilogy.

Just started to read "I Partridge, we need to talk about Alan . " I am only about 30 pages in but it's having me in stitches .

Alan Partridge > Dickens , Shakespeare and J.K . Rowling combined.

Brought this today, I never read books as I normally cant be ar$ed. But as soon as I seen it I had to buy it. I foookin love Partridge and have no doubt its funny as. Steve Coogan is a comedy king and Partridge is a legend.

Cant wait to get started on it. Gonna be hitting it hard when I get back to work in the lunch hour.

Just started to read "I Partridge, we need to talk about Alan . " I am only about 30 pages in but it's having me in stitches .

Alan Partridge > Dickens , Shakespeare and J.K . Rowling combined.

Brought this today, I never read books as I normally cant be ar$ed. But as soon as I seen it I had to buy it. I foookin love Partridge and have no doubt its funny as. Steve Coogan is a comedy king and Partridge is a legend.

Cant wait to get started on it. Gonna be hitting it hard when I get back to work in the lunch hour.

I'm only 20 or so pages in - it is proper funny

51mRIsZ71hL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The only book you'll ever need...

Joking aside, really looking forward to reading that.

This thread has just reminded me I still have this to start (I blame that George R. R. Martin bloke).

I, Partridge might just be the funniest book ever written

My words and not the words of Shakin Stevens either

I see you are like me, I love the Partridge quotes, many times at work I have used "I belieeevvve we've established that" when you have to explain things a number of times....only for my mate to be the only one who picks up on it, whilst the rest look at me like Im some sort of wierdo,,,lol

Cant wait to start on the Partridge book, expecting big things from it now though...especially as you have rated it so highly.

I, Partridge might just be the funniest book ever written

My words and not the words of Shakin Stevens either

I see you are like me, I love the Partridge quotes, many times at work I have used "I belieeevvve we've established that" when you have to explain things a number of times....only for my mate to be the only one who picks up on it, whilst the rest look at me like Im some sort of wierdo,,,lol

Cant wait to start on the Partridge book, expecting big things from it now though...especially as you have rated it so highly.

This may be against the spirit of the thread, but it's well worth getting the audio book version of this. The material is even better when read by Partridge himself. I'm listening to it in the car at the moment. Makes me want to drive everywhere to hear some more!

Just started

Into the silence about Mallory and the conquest of Everest

It covers WW I as well and in some detail , the ineptitude of Douglas Haig borders on the criminal

But it's the Eversest stuff I'm more interested in so can't wait until I get further into the book

Reading The Stand at the moment. I can see no why it is regarded as King's best, as I'm really really enjoying it, although I have become incredibly paranoid about cold/flu in everyday life, and avoiding people who are sneezing/coughing/spluttering as much as possible. It could be Captain Trips :|

finished this

ALone%2Bin%2BBerlin.jpg

and now starting this

berlin-noir-march-violets-the-pale-criminal-a-german-requiem.jpg

alongside some academicy books:

imagined-communities.png

which is a very accessible read on nations and nationalism - worth a look, and

9780761961642.jpg

which is proving to be another easy introduction to this foucault chap.

Making another attempt to get into Iain M Banks Culture series, so received the Player of Games and the Use of Weapons for Christmas. Rereading Transitions currently though so may have to wait a while.

Just finished Jo Nesbo's Headhunters

Roger Brown is a corporate headhunter, and he’s a master of his profession. But one career simply can’t support his luxurious lifestyle and his wife’s fledgling art gallery. At an art opening one night he meets Clas Greve, who is not only the perfect candidate for a major CEO job, but also, perhaps, the answer to his financial woes: Greve just so happens to mention that he owns a priceless Peter Paul Rubens painting that’s been lost since World War II—and Roger Brown just so happens to dabble in art theft. But when he breaks into Greve’s apartment, he finds more than just the painting. And Clas Greve may turn out to be the worst thing that’s ever happened to Roger Brown.

Brilliant and very easy to read, regardless of it being set in Norway!!!

Worth checking out.

I have just finished the first (in english) of his Harry Hole books the redbreast, very good book looking forward to reading the rest of them

Last month read transition from Ian Banks which was superb.

The snowman from Jo Nesbo which i truly couldn't put down and finally got round to reading the godfather which i thought was just ok.

Got the new stephen king 11.22.63 for xmas so started that which is pretty good at the moment.

Read The Sisters Brothers, enjoyable enough, but not enough men spitting into dirt before speaking and looking into distances for my liking.

Also got handed a Kindle. Raping the arse out of public domain laws at the minute. Poems/Plays do not work on it though, I mean they can be read but it isn't the same. Novels can work grand enough, better than I expected it in all honesty.

Aimed at younger readers and a bit like Harry Potter I guess but ive just started the artemis fowl series, really enjoyable so far. Also got the Abhorsen trilogy for christmas so will start that after as well.

Â