Do you read?

Luke_W

I dont know how people can read 2 or 3 books at once.

My memory is so bad I have a hard enough time remembering what is happening with just the one. This is further compounded by the lack of any real reading time, so any book can take months to read.

If I tried reading any more than one I'd probably forget my own name!

I dont know how people can read 2 or 3 books at once.

My memory is so bad I have a hard enough time remembering what is happening with just the one. This is further compounded by the lack of any real reading time, so any book can take months to read.

If I tried reading any more than one I'd probably forget my own name!

As the multi-book freak on here, I'd say this:

The reading time thing is a very good point. Unsurprisingly I don't have a young, single, man's lifestyle, so I DO have a lot of reading time. And I've been an obsessive reader since before I started school.

Those two things taken together mean that I treat every possible break in the day as potential reading time: bus rides, coffee breaks, lunchtime, trips to the khazi, missus watching bad TV, bedtime, you name it.

But there are other factors. As a general rule I would never read two novels at once, for the exact reasons you give - it's too hard to keep track. So, besides whatever novel I have on the go, the other books tend to be ones that can be read in small timeslices, without having to keep track of plot - typically non-fiction (often on a subject I already have a certain degree of familiarity with) or short stories, essays, etc.

I DO have a pretty good memory anyway - and I'm convinced that heavy reading keeps that sharp (whether it will keep away the Alzheimers that got my dad remains to be seen...)

Started reading 'Dissolution', first in a series by CJ Sansom. Read the rest, but had never seen the first book. Historical crime thrillers - central character is a lawyer working for Thomas Cromwell in Tudor London around the time of the Reformation. Very vivid detail, reads authentically rather than like a contemporary thriller in fancy dress - highly recommended!

started this today

51aNglcEEQL._SL500_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-48,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

And on the third day things did not get better. The rain fell hard and cold, the white sun never broke through the low grey cloud, and they were lost. But it was the dead thing they found hanging from a tree that changed the trip beyond recognition. When four old University friends set off into the Scandinavian wilderness of the Arctic Circle, they aim to briefly escape the problems of their lives and reconnect with one another. But when Luke, the only man still single and living a precarious existence, finds he has little left in common with his well-heeled friends, tensions rise. With limited fitness and experience between them, a shortcut meant to ease their hike turns into a nightmare scenario that could cost them their lives. Lost, hungry, and surrounded by forest untouched for millennia, Luke figures things couldn’t possibly get any worse. But then they stumble across an old habitation. Ancient artefacts decorate the walls and there are bones scattered upon the dry floors. The residue of old rites and pagan sacrifice for something that still exists in the forest. Something responsible for the bestial presence that follows their every step. And as the four friends stagger in the direction of salvation, they learn that death doesn’t come easy among these ancient trees . . .

• 2 weeks later...
I'm 3/4's of the way through Dan Brown's Lost symbol . I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about to be honest . I am enjoying the book to be fair but my God he is a shit writer .

I quite liked the series, although I thought that was the worst.

I'm 3/4's of the way through Dan Brown's Lost symbol . I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about to be honest . I am enjoying the book to be fair but my God he is a shit writer .

You're enjoying it but you think he's shit? Talk about being paradoxical.

I haven't read any of his books save for Da Vinci Code, but my word was that book gripping (:D)

Reading Shampoo Planet as I work my way through Douglas Coupland's stuff. It's a cracker, but for me his best is Miss Wyoming.

I read Miss Wyoming, Girlfriend in a Coma and All Families are Psychotic, after which I was pretty sure that Coupland was a genius. If only I'd stopped there, but I made the mistake of reading some of his more recent works.

Reading Shampoo Planet as I work my way through Douglas Coupland's stuff. It's a cracker, but for me his best is Miss Wyoming.

I read Miss Wyoming, Girlfriend in a Coma and All Families are Psychotic, after which I was pretty sure that Coupland was a genius. If only I'd stopped there, but I made the mistake of reading some of his more recent works.

I liked All families are psychotic - haven't read girlfriend in a coma yet, worth a try?

I haven't read any of his books save for Da Vinci Code, but my word was that book gripping (:D)

The stories are fun but his writing style isn't the greatest. It seems very basic to me .

The stories are fun but his writing style isn't the greatest. It seems very basic to me .

His writing style is fine if you're 12.

"he had no idea the massively trivial piece of information I just crowbarred into the narrative would become relevant later on"..... Langdon's jump from the helicopter Angels and Demons is a prime example. good yarns but simply told.

Â