Do you read?

Luke_W

Reading a thread written by a Belgian couple about their trip across the democratic republic of congo and all the troubles they have in terms of the non-existent roads and the corrupt policemen at checkpoints they meet every few km. It's really very interesting. I'm up to page 42 now.

If you have a few hours to kill, it's definitely worth having a read through

here

Just started reading this off your recommendation. Very good, the bit about the cannibals is rather... surprising. :shock:

The Wasp Factory is a great book, but I think a lot of the praise it receives is based on the context of it's release. A debut novel comes out of nowhere that is 'smart' on many levels, whilst also being a pretty straight and simple read for anyone, and also being quite depraved and matter of act (even humourous) when dealing with quite grim stuff.

there's a passage in it, from memory "I knew my brother must be nearby when I saw the burning sheep". Great line and nicely sums up the atomsphere of the whole thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Just read "A Clockwork Orange" and thought it was excellent.

The movie really **** up the source material.

Starting the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes now..... and loving it too.

I enjoy a good crime read. Have read all but the latest of the Roy Grace series by Peter James, and the Millenium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson.

Currently reading the Day Watch book from the World of Watches series by Sergei Lukyanenko. Loved the films, but loving the books more.

Finished this a couple of weeks back, and it's one of the best things I've read in many years:

241797888607387694995Pic.jpg

Also, just finished:

Miles+Davis+-+Kind+of+Blue.jpg

Very good companion to listening to the album.

And currently on:

41FXCKQHZBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

A very much sub-John Le Carre espionage novel set in the late 40s. It's OK, no more.

• 4 weeks later...

I see I have the thread to myself again.

Moving on from the above, just finished a VERY enjoyable gallop through:

light.jpg

One of my occasional dips back into the genre, this was very much in the New Worlds/Michael Moorcock/cyberpunk "sex and drugs and rock'n'roll" school of hard sf. I loved it, and have just ordered the sequel ("Nova Swing").

Currently on:

034071753X.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

and

2012244525.gif

Started "Snow Crash" yesterday. First book from this author as recommended on here so we will see. Good so far.
Bear in mind that his early sf books (Snow Crash, Zodiac, The Diamond Age, etc.) are quite different from his later "very slightly alternative history" works (Cryptonomicon and the Baroque Cycle) - although he returned to more trad sf with Anathem.

Haven't read his new one (Reamde) yet, but it looks to be more in Cryptonomicon territory.

Ive just brought John Richardsons book 'Dream On' after being told about it in the golf thread.

John Richardson is a 28 handicapper who struggles to break 100 shots per round. He then sets himself a target of playing a level par round of golf at his home course within the space of 12 months while holding down a full time job, looking after a young family etc. He only goes and does it!!!

Tis a true story too, should be a good read.

Ive just brought John Richardsons book 'Dream On' after being told about it in the golf thread.

John Richardson is a 28 handicapper who struggles to break 100 shots per round. He then sets himself a target of playing a level par round of golf at his home course within the space of 12 months while holding down a full time job, looking after a young family etc. He only goes and does it!!!

FFS Wiggy!!!

Why would I read it now that you told me the ending? :winkold:

FFS Wiggy!!!

Why would I read it now that you told me the ending? :winkold:

Sowwy! :(

It's all about his thoughts, emotions, routines he find work etc. Sounds really good.

It's meant to help with psychological and emotional side of golf, what's going through your head as you stand over the ball etc.

Started "Snow Crash" yesterday. First book from this author as recommended on here so we will see. Good so far.
Bear in mind that his early sf books (Snow Crash, Zodiac, The Diamond Age, etc.) are quite different from his later "very slightly alternative history" works (Cryptonomicon and the Baroque Cycle) - although he returned to more trad sf with Anathem.

Haven't read his new one (Reamde) yet, but it looks to be more in Cryptonomicon territory.

Thanks for the info, really good read so far. Nice style to the writing and pretty unique as far as I know.

Â