Do you read?

Luke_W

Do you read every day Mike?
See this thread.

Thats what made me ask. :)

How many books have you got on the go at the moment?

Well the template is on page 53, like I said, but specifically:

Bedside:

416Gaf7y7RL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Lunchtime:

113412D.jpg

Kindle (phone):

51pS3Bm936L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-46,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

51ep439kDDL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-17,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

31K7pXqYydL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-52,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

41sePxIkLjL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-34,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Toilet/bath, etc.:

Whatever I pick up at the time. Could be one of dozens that have bookmarks in them. Or don't as yet.

He the hell do you remember what is going on in all of them?
Well if you look, only two (the Collier and the Kipling) are novels. The Miles Davis autobiography just works a chapter or two at a time quite nicely.

And the others are short stories or poems. Don't need to be broken off halfway through.

And I do have a good memory for where I was anyway.

EDIT: Is it really any different from watching several serialised TV dramas?

Don't tell me you actually NEED those annoying "...PREVIOUSLY on..." sequences?

41zYQQY%2BaeL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

An unusual book, written in 1929. Needs a bit of perseverance, but worth it.

The narrative is like strange poetry, with most of the definite articles missing. And the dialogue is mostly rendered in a (strikingly accurate) broad Brummie accent.

Really enjoying it.

EDIT: Aaaaaand... finished it. Superb. And a cameo appearance from the Villa near the end, which I will probably transcribe for you later in the weekend.

Here it is. The season is either 1927-28 or 1928-29. Depending on which, the Villa went on to win either 3-1 or 6-1. Some interesting differences, then from now. But also some striking similiarities which rather made me chuckle.

'An' what about your team, Aaron,' cried Mr Gates, for Aaron was very keen on football.

'I sent me shilling last Saturday, Joe. I dain't go.'

'No, you don't like to go, that was it, not the way they're playin' now. Villa supporter? You ain't no more'n a newspaper supporter shoutin' goal at the page.'

'It am a bleeder,' Mr Connolly said, 'I be frightened to go down to the Villa ground, I can't abide to see 'em beaten, not a grand team like they used to be.'

'Would the Villa be at 'ome today Aaron?' Mr Gates said.

'They am.'

'I ain't been to the Villa ground in years,' Mr Gates said.

Was silence.

'Cardiff they'll 'ave against them today Joe.'

'It'll be glorious football,' Mr Gates said, like he was musing.

'They am the two best teams in the League, and those two with the finest record,' said Mr Connolly.

As Mr Gates and Mr Connolly walked more and more men came out from other roads into street they were walking down to the Villa ground.

These formed on each side of street long lines of men walking, many of them still in blue overalls. Day was dark, rain had fallen just before and the roadway was still wet with this and the sky was dark, so it dully shone like iron, this time, when it has been machined. The lines of men were dark coloured.

Everyone is very quiet. They walk quickly and quietly. It is early yet. These lines of men come to big red building, they pass in quickly through turnstiles onto the stands. Numbers of policemen. Trams with FOOTBALL SPECIAL showing instead of their numbers draw up every moment and more men get out of them. Men stand about selling the Villa News, always being pushed down along the street by weight of the numbers of men coming down on them. Others sell the teams' colours in rosettes.

Hawkers are selling sweets and the crowd eddies round the barrows. And here, close to the gates, everyone walks faster. Quickly, quietly they pass in onto the stands through turnstiles.

Gates and Connolly pass in and stand on the mound, they go to behind the goalposts and lean against rail there. Silver band in dark blue overcoats is playing in middle of the green, green pitch.

Everything but the grass is black with smoke, only thin blue waves of smoke coming up from the dark crowds already waiting gives any colour, and the pink brick.

Band plays and always, at the gates, men are coming in, lines of them coming in are thicker and thicker. Man with a rattle lets this off suddenly, then suddenly stops. Drunk man begins shouting at this.

Now as this mound is filling up you see nothing but faces, lozenges, against black shoulders. As time gets nearer so more rattles are let off, part of the crowd begins singing. The drunk man, who has a great voice, roars and shouts and near him hundreds of facesare turned to look at him. The band packs up, it moves off, then over at further corner the whole vast crowd that begins roaring, the Villa team comes out, then everyone is shouting. On face of the two mounds great swaying, like corn before wind, is made down towards the ground, frantic excitement. Gates wailed and sobbed for now his voice had left him. The Villa, the Villa, come on the Villa. Mr Connolly stood like transfixed with passion and 30,000 people waved and shrieked and swayed and clamoured at eleven men who play the best football in the world. These took no notice of the crowd, no notice.

Just finished Jo Nesbo's Headhunters

Roger Brown is a corporate headhunter, and he’s a master of his profession. But one career simply can’t support his luxurious lifestyle and his wife’s fledgling art gallery. At an art opening one night he meets Clas Greve, who is not only the perfect candidate for a major CEO job, but also, perhaps, the answer to his financial woes: Greve just so happens to mention that he owns a priceless Peter Paul Rubens painting that’s been lost since World War II—and Roger Brown just so happens to dabble in art theft. But when he breaks into Greve’s apartment, he finds more than just the painting. And Clas Greve may turn out to be the worst thing that’s ever happened to Roger Brown.

Brilliant and very easy to read, regardless of it being set in Norway!!!

Worth checking out.

Can't recommend the book I'm reading now enough.

Cryptonomicon - Neal Stephenson.

It's far too batshit crazy and surreal to fully explain. I'll give you some key words: Enigma, Pearl Harbour, Morphine Addiction, U-Boat captain in a strait jacket, Internet routers in caves, erotic letters to penthouse, SE asian sultans, Alan Turing and many other things. Great great book.

Can't recommend the book I'm reading now enough.

Cryptonomicon - Neal Stephenson.

It's far too batshit crazy and surreal to fully explain. I'll give you some key words: Enigma, Pearl Harbour, Morphine Addiction, U-Boat captain in a strait jacket, Internet routers in caves, erotic letters to penthouse, SE asian sultans, Alan Turing and many other things. Great great book.

Oh yes. **** GRRREEEAAAAAAT book.

When you've finished it, start immediately on The Baroque Cycle (a trilogy, first book is "Quicksilver"). Sort of a prequel to Cryptonomicon, but that doesn't do it justice - it's even better. A sort of 17th Century alternative history, but... **** it, just read it.

On the previous page...

Picked it up in a charity shop, and was totally knocked out. Ostensibly fiction, but written by a WWII Bomber Command veteran, describing one hair-raising "wing and a prayer" mission - and the psychic aftershock that ensued for the pilot/narrator.

I was so impressed, I Googled the guy's name, and discovered he's a retired Professor, still alive (aged 88!) and now living in the USA, with a new book on consciousness just published. I found his contact details and emailed him a fanboy response. Got a great reply last week, and he wanted my phone no so we could have a chat. So I sent it, he rang me this evening, and we chatted for about an hour. You'd never know he was that old - he's sharp as a razor, and a totally top bloke. I'm reading his new book, and we will definitely be keeping in touch.

Ain't the internet great?

he rang me this evening, and we chatted for about an hour

:thumb:

that's pretty cool ... fair play to him

Absolutely. I was concerned about his phone bill, but apparently he gets a really good deal from his U.S. phone company (he has a daughter in France that he phones regularly). Among other things, he was talking about starting a blog in connection with his new book - to augment the already existing Facebook page and Twitter feed!

Funnily enough, the same day I had a call from my favorite auntie - who's just turned 90. She's the same - totally mentally sharp, and learning new things all the time (currently writing her autobiography).

If you can avoid the horrors of Alzheimers, age means nothing. Those of you worried about turning 30 or 40 should chill out a bit!

On the previous page...

Picked it up in a charity shop, and was totally knocked out. Ostensibly fiction, but written by a WWII Bomber Command veteran, describing one hair-raising "wing and a prayer" mission - and the psychic aftershock that ensued for the pilot/narrator.

I was so impressed, I Googled the guy's name, and discovered he's a retired Professor, still alive (aged 88!) and now living in the USA, with a new book on consciousness just published. I found his contact details and emailed him a fanboy response. Got a great reply last week, and he wanted my phone no so we could have a chat. So I sent it, he rang me this evening, and we chatted for about an hour. You'd never know he was that old - he's sharp as a razor, and a totally top bloke. I'm reading his new book, and we will definitely be keeping in touch.

That is great, impressive and very cool. I bet you were buzzing when you'd finished the call.

On the previous page...

That is great, impressive and very cool. I bet you were buzzing when you'd finished the call.

The sad thing is that I feel like I've got a new mate - who probably only has a few years to live. :cry:

I am going to lower the tone somewhat, and say that the Guinness Book of Records for 2012 is only 99p on Kindle today. :thumb:
Thank you. That's just triggered my next entry in the "Things you don't get" thread.

On the previous page...

The sad thing is that I feel like I've got a new mate - who probably only has a few years to live. :cry:

Better to have a few years than never to have made a friend of him. :thumb:

Just be wary if he starts asking for a 'Scuba Steve' photo. :winkold:

Â