Do you read?

Luke_W

Finished Marabou Stork Nightmares the other night. Took an absolute age to genuinely get into that. It's not a bad book, some interesting ideas and takes some twists and turns but not the best thing I've ever read. The games Welsh plays with structure and form of the text gets tiresome and I'm not sure how much it really adds to the narrative, eventually just starts becoming distracting.

Finally moved onto the Bridge after my break from Banks, start bodes well for the rest of it :thumb:

Just spent two weeks in Provence, so it had to be:

519MTJHC5EL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Not for the casual reader, this one. Walks the very thin line between cerebral and pretentious, and I very nearly gave up after about 100 pages. Glad I didn't, really absorbed in it now.

And I just noticed something very strange about that image up there: only one "L" in what should be "Durrell". And I have that very edition - with both "L"s present and correct. Odd.

Just read Ted Dekker 'Black' the first in a trilogy - very kooky storyline in which a man lives between two worlds, one on earth prior to a deadly virus being released and the other somewhere in the future and he has no idea which one is real.....

Have the second part 'Red' ready to read right after I finish Christopher Brookmyre's It's Not The End Of The World.

Just finished Berlin by Antony Beevor. Fantastic read. Next book is ' A writer at war ' by Vasily Grossman. Looking forward to reading this.
Both books on my "long shortlist".

Grossmann's epic novel "Life and Fate" is superb BTW.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally moved onto the Bridge after my break from Banks, start bodes well for the rest of it :thumb:

Stick with it, another tough to get into book imo but well worth it

About 200 pages into this now, I'm going very very slowly with it, only reading a few pages at a time. I'm trying to drag it out because it marks the end of anything unread for me and right now, I'd rather not further invest in books.

It's not been slow for me at all, or hard to get into. A couple of moments have seen it slow somewhat or have my interest waning but it's largely been quite good.

Elsewhere the Booker prize went to Howard Jacobson, a book which anyone who watched last week's review show will know China Mieville really didn't like.

Got a few on the go at the moment.

This...

1857994914.jpg

Brilliant stuff, a great humorous jab at the Raj.

This...

1145454661353.jpeg

Not particularly well written but interesting nonetheless. He was a real piece of work was Arthur.

And finally...

20100110_triffids-book.jpg

Hang my head in shame as it's taken me this long to read it. Enjoyable though.

Read Die trying by Lee Child recently. Gets a bit too far fetched towards the end like most Dan Brown books but I've decided to give him another go and have bought 61 hours.

61 Hours is great, if devoid of violence.

His new one is out already, "Worth Dying For" and there is plenty of aggro in this one ;-)

20100110_triffids-book.jpg

Hang my head in shame as it's taken me this long to read it. Enjoyable though.

Good book (if a little dated), but it has one of the weakest endings EVER. It's as if he was finishing his homework on the bus to make the deadline.

Â