Do you read?

Luke_W

The His Dark Materials trilogy is absolutely fantastic.

Agree completely. Don't let the fantasy aspect fool you, it's immense.

I was thinking of picking this up but was put off by the parallels to Harry Potter in that it’s essentially a kid’s book.

Just how geared for kids are they?

I was thinking of picking this up but was put off by the parallels to Harry Potter in that it’s essentially a kid’s book.

They are in no way children's books. The Potter comparisons made are lazy and quite frankly laughable. Seriously, give them a shot.

They are in no way children's books. The Potter comparisons made are lazy and quite frankly laughable. Seriously, give them a shot.

There are sections of those books, that would give some kids nightmares.

The first two are great, the third one is completely mental.

My elder daughter read both Rowling and Pullman in her teens.

Her verdict: Rowling = OK-ish for kids, totally derivative, not recommended; Pullman = superb, thought-provoking stuff, very much recommended.

I haven't read either and don't intend to, but I trust her judgement.

My elder daughter read both Rowling and Pullman in her teens.

Her verdict: Rowling = OK-ish for kids, totally derivative, not recommended; Pullman = superb, thought-provoking stuff, very much recommended.

I haven't read either and don't intend to, but I trust her judgement.

Read both of them since I was 10, would say HP gets you more involved and attached to the characters although everything else about the Pullman series is better.

I think I've read all of Terry Pratchett's disc world novels (over 30) I just find the characters amusing and the way it's a piss take of real life.

*high five*

Just announced his next one, a Watch novel with the working title Snuff.

There are sections of those books, that would give some kids nightmares.

The first two are great, the third one is completely mental.

Yup, I certainly wouldn't read those books to young children. They are fantasy books but they're aimed at adults.

They're probably my favourite books ever to be quite honest.

New Lee Child "Jack Reacher" book is out now, called "61 Hours"

Finished this in 4 nights. Highly recommended...........less violence than usual for Reacher but a cracking story

I wish

was actually real. :D

The last book I read was Lies, Inc., an expanded version of "The Unteleported Man" by Philip K. Dick. It was his last book before he died, and arguably one of his best. The expansion itself is a very literal acid trip, it's an absolutely cracking read.

I think I've read all of Terry Pratchett's disc world novels (over 30) I just find the characters amusing and the way it's a piss take of real life.

I shall wear midnight is out in September I think on Amazon looks like a witches novel.

One of the greatest writers out there.

Currently about 2/3rds the way through Irvine Welsh's Acid House. Quite enjoyed it, for a short story compilation, theres a couple of crackers in there.

I've still not managed to get onto the Bridge, it's still packed up in a box somewhere... Might have to wait a little longer as post Acid House, I'm moving onto Maribou Stork Nightmares.

I shall wear midnight is out in September I think on Amazon looks like a witches novel.

One of the greatest writers out there.

It's the final story in the Tiffany Aching character arc, which happens to be just about the only one of his characters I've never particularly liked. Then again his young adult stuff is generally much weaker - it's much less dark and has much less satire, and are more straight stories with perhaps 1 underlying point to be made (if that if my memory serves). The only Pratchett book I've never been able to finish is the previous one in this arc, Wintersmith. Just wasn't much cop.

Currently about 2/3rds the way through Irvine Welsh's Acid House. Quite enjoyed it, for a short story compilation, theres a couple of crackers in there.

Have you read Filth Chindie?

Â