Do you read?

Luke_W

ive just read a few zombie books

zombie britannica-not bad just a basic hard fought slog against masses of the undead, some parts were pretty substandard and he used the same descriptions time and time again. No plot just carnage from start to finish

zombie guide to survival-pretty decent first half second half got pretty tedious pretty quickly, tells you all you need to know to survive against them from what sort of things to arm your self with to what sort of clothes/armour to wear and how to zombie proof your home, it gets to a point where he is repeating himself and not keeping things interesting enough though...more of a book to read a few random pages whilst on the bog I think

current reading world war Z by the same author-pretty decent this is the book from start to finish is random interviews telling how the zombie outbreak started how the chinese tried to cover it up how the americans tried to use it to there advantage by trying to put a swing on it to win the elections, some of the interviews are pretty good but the majority of them are too short

after I have finished this one i'm gunna either read american psycho (one of my mates has been banging on about it for years and my other mate despises it so I think im gunna give it a go) or i'm gunna read the girl that kicked the hornets nest

Currently reading 'No Country for Old Men'.

The Coen's hardly changed a thing or the film it seems.

Correct. The film basically IS the book - word-for-word, scene-for-scene. Which I think is why some people didn't like the ending of the film. It works well in print, perhaps not quite so well on the screen.

I read the book first, so I thought the film was fine.

Just finishing a true life account of life on the losing side on the Eastern front, The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer; Some times we really dont know how easy we have things!
Also on my teetering pile. :?

"I just found it in a dusty old book in the library it's called the Bible."

Bible.jpg

Going to read it for the first time since my deconversion soon. The entire thing from front to cover.

Good luck. Some very good bits in there, which have made a massive contribution to the canon of English (actually, western generally) literature. And long passages that are very heavy going unless you're a serious student of the era and the culture.

Which version are you reading? King James?

"I just found it in a dusty old book in the library it's called the Bible."

Bible.jpg

Going to read it for the first time since my deconversion soon. The entire thing from front to cover.

Good luck. Some very good bits in there, which have made a massive contribution to the canon of English (actually, western generally) literature. And long passages that are very heavy going unless you're a serious student of the era and the culture.

Which version are you reading? King James?

Not sure yet but I've decided I'm going to read it like a history student, I'm actually a pretty enthusiastic student of history.

My father is crazy we have multiple copies of the bible at home, including NIV, KJV as well as Chinese translations.

Edit: Of course I know a lot of it is boring and heavy-going and I know the historical context :D I've been reading the book for years as a Christian, though I never completed it. I think as a non-Christian now though I will be able to spot many more contradictions, nuances etc in the bible than I ever did. Which ironically will probably make the book much more enjoyable than I ever found it to be reading it from a devotional POV.

I think as a non-Christian now though I will be able to spot many more contradictions, nuances etc in the bible than I ever did.
But of course.

I can never understand why Christian fundamentalists get upset by nonbelievers pointing out contradictions and inconsistencies in the Bible. There are BOUND to be inconsistencies, because it's not one book, it's a collection of many books, written over a very long timescale. Nothing wrong with that, and no reason to dismiss some of the wisdom (and plain fascinating folk history) contained therein.

It's just not "magic".

There are BOUND to be inconsistencies, because it's not one book, it's a collection of many books, written over a very long timescale

A bit of a problem those inconsistencies, one of the reasons for my deconversion was ultimately how it was impossible to reconcile some of the contradictions within the Bible itself. You'd think a divinely inspired book would at least be consistent in its message but no it can't even get important things like the details of Jesus' life consistent throughout the Gospels.

Â