Do you read?

Luke_W

Stepped into a bit of SCI-FI, having never read much before, maybe tried it a bit too young to appreciate Asimov and an Iain Banks book that was too full of unpronouncable names for me to care. As I like TV/Film explorations of the big theme, wanted to give the book medium another go. Went for

proxima-stephen-baxter-gollancz.jpg

It wasn't too bad at all in terms of exploring an alien world and the mystery-thrill part of the narrative was enjoyably hooky enough for me to pick up the follow up. Not going to win literary prizes for the quality of literature itself, but I didn't mind the occasional clunky exposition when the content at least was intriguing enough.

From the big world to the little though - moved onto:

The-dark-Philosophers.jpg

set in an impoverished area of the Welsh valleys in the terraces, dark angry but bloody funny.

Purchased

APR140757.jpg

With renewed hope of a Dark Tower movie trilogy/tv series thanks to Sony, I would quite like to continue my exploration of Marvel's version.

I also purchased the trade paperback of 'The Prisoner', which is the first story arc of Drawing of the Three, plus #1-3 of 'House of Cards', which is the next arc.

That takes me bang up to date, hopefully Marvel will continue to produce the comics. It will take many years to finish the whole story if they do continue producing them, which has looked precarious in recent times. Would like to continue the collection though, as they are rather nice.

detail.jpg

Just took a punt on Master and Commander.  I've never read any of the books, I've not seen the movie.  I've heard so many people talk in glowing terms about both that I guess it's time to see what all the fuss is about. 

Just took a punt on Master and Commander. I've never read any of the books, I've not seen the movie. I've heard so many people talk in glowing terms about both that I guess it's time to see what all the fuss is about.

If you're undecided after reading it, give the second one (Post Captain) a shot. That's where the series really takes off.
  • Like 2

Picked up Blood Meridian and Trainspotting for my holiday.

Along with "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" which I've been meaning to read for a while. That's my back up if I get through the other two :)

Unfortunately i have only ever read one book in my life and i finished that 2 months ago (apart from the shitty school books they force you to read in class). Cant believe what i was missing. However i have no idea what book to start reading next. The book was 'Shantaram', true story about a guy who escaped max security prison, went to india and become a pretty important man in the mafia there. Really enjoyed it. No idea what genre of books i would like but i love thrillers for films and loved shantaram so if anyone gives me a recommendation or two, much appreciate.

I dont think i would like to read a book which has been turned into a well known film. Ta

Edited by gharperr
  • Like 1

Unfortunately i have only ever read one book in my life and i finished that 2 months ago (apart from the shitty school books they force you to read in class). Cant believe what i was missing. However i have no idea what book to start reading next. The book was 'Shantaram', true story about a guy who escaped max security prison, went to india and become a pretty important man in the mafia there. Really enjoyed it. No idea what genre of books i would like but i love thrillers for films and loved shantaram so if anyone gives me a recommendation or two, much appreciate.

I dont think i would like to read a book which has been turned into a well known film. Ta

Blimey. That's a hell of a first place to start - Shantaram is in my top five books of all time. An absolutely incredible read, and one made all the more amazing that he had to write the bloody thing three times after the prison guards destroyed it.

• Like 1

Purchased

APR140757.jpg

With renewed hope of a Dark Tower movie trilogy/tv series thanks to Sony, I would quite like to continue my exploration of Marvel's version.

I also purchased the trade paperback of 'The Prisoner', which is the first story arc of Drawing of the Three, plus #1-3 of 'House of Cards', which is the next arc.

That takes me bang up to date, hopefully Marvel will continue to produce the comics. It will take many years to finish the whole story if they do continue producing them, which has looked precarious in recent times. Would like to continue the collection though, as they are rather nice.

detail.jpg

I've come exceptionally close to buying this more than once recently. Intrigued to see what you make of it. I've never actually read the books so largely going in blind.

Picked up Blood Meridian and Trainspotting for my holiday

I've had Blood Meridian on my shelves for about 6 years, to this day it irritates me that I got a third through it and finally couldn't bear Cormac McCarthy's style anymore. I actively hated reading it. But given that it is supposedly a masterpiece and I like the set up, I have this annoying itch whenever I see it sat there to grin and bear it and make it to the end...

Edit - I'm currently rereading the Discworld series. I know it like the back of my hand but is nice to revisit some that I've not read since school in many cases. Currently on Pyramids, which is roughly where Discworld becomes the fleshed out world it is famous for being. Fantastic opening.

And bought Look to Windward today, plugging a gap in my Iain M Banks collection. Holiday read methinks.

Edited by Chindie

Just finished reading A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. Excellent and heart-wrenching read. Highly recommend this and his previous book - The Kite Runner.

Started reading Paul McGrath's bio Back from the Brink. Don't usually read biographies but this one is really interesting so far and well written.

Just took a punt on Master and Commander. I've never read any of the books, I've not seen the movie. I've heard so many people talk in glowing terms about both that I guess it's time to see what all the fuss is about.

If you're undecided after reading it, give the second one (Post Captain) a shot. That's where the series really takes off.

Yes! Great series :)

Picked up Blood Meridian and Trainspotting for my holiday

I've had Blood Meridian on my shelves for about 6 years, to this day it irritates me that I got a third through it and finally couldn't bear Cormac McCarthy's style anymore. I actively hated reading it. But given that it is supposedly a masterpiece and I like the set up, I have this annoying itch whenever I see it sat there to grin and bear it and make it to the end...

I like his style, although I can see how people wouldn't.

I've read No Country for Old Men, The Road and The Border Trilogy and loved them all.

The Spanish in The Border Trilogy made it quite a difficult read in places (at the time, I'd be ok with it these days) and I'm expecting more of the same in Blood Meridian, given where it's set.

Try The Power of the Dog by Don Winslow, a superbly written violent thriller about the Mexican drug war.

• Like 1

Â