Do you read?

Luke_W

I'm reading, Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus by Mary Shelley, I'm not finding it the greatest read to be honest not exactly addictive, nor interesting in terms of making you think of stuff you'd never thought of before, but still not bad and time to get better.I might read Street of Crocodiles by Bruno Schulz, next.

Edited by useless

• 1 month later...

Post Captain is so bloody good. Can't wait to get stuck into the next one. :wub:

Really glad you like it - about another twenty books to go! Once he gets into it, it's just one long book, and really good.

I think my enjoyment of the books is 100% down to the author.  Patrick O'Brian strikes me as a masterful writer, the books seem painstakingly researched but to a land lubber like me that's just a cool aside.  It's the sense of world building, the strong characterisation, the way he delicately hides Chekhov's gun, the gentle humour. It's all right up my alley. O'Brian seems like a man at the absolute top of his trade.  If he kept the quality up for twenty books then consider me amazed. 

Edited by The_Rev
  • Like 2

I think my enjoyment of the books is 100% down to the author. Patrick O'Brian strikes me as a masterful writer, the books seem painstakingly researched but to a land lubber like me that's just a cool aside. It's the sense of world building, the strong characterisation, the way he delicately hides Chekhov's gun, the gentle humour. It's all right up my alley. O'Brian seems like a man at the absolute top of his trade. If he kept the quality up for twenty books then consider me amazed.

He actually does. And you are dead right about the quality of the writing, he makes other genre writers (Cornwell et al) look piss poor. What impresses me is the dialogue - it reads as authentic late 18th Century - almost a bloke's Jane Austen, rather than the "OK men, let's kick Napoleon's ass" style that lesser writers would use.

If he has a weakness it might just be in the female characters that feature later on - but the Aubrey/Maturin double act is peerless, and the supporting cast of the Surprise are superb. I'm tempted to read the series again.

• Like 1

Post Captain is so bloody good. Can't wait to get stuck into the next one. :wub:

Be careful, O'Brian can prove addictive.

Not only will you feel compelled to read the twenty and a half books in the Aubrey-Maturin series, you'll also find the need to read the four books O'Brian wrote in the early 1950s, in which many of the themes first emerged. You'll then have to read biographies of Thomas Cochran who the Aubrey character is based upon.

Other consequences may include learning the Latin binomial for the common booby, and being seen to inspect old pillar-boxes, to see if they were made by the Carron Company, where carronades were made.

Not to mention the insane need to explain the weather gauge to complete strangers, against their will.

So be warned!  :)  

• Like 2

Recently finished TO END ALL WARS, great WW1 history, not bogged down with tactics and battles, but the stupidity of the generals, the war resistance in Britain, the Pankhurst family, and other fascinating chareacters. Makes Rudyard Kipling look like a complete arsehole.

Currently reading PIRATE COAST, the story of the US Navy's engagement against Barbary pirates who captured and enslaved 130 odd sailors, circa 1805. Great read, could be a movie.

• Like 1

Be careful, O'Brian can prove addictive.

Not only will you feel compelled to read the twenty and a half books in the Aubrey-Maturin series, you'll also find the need to read the four books O'Brian wrote in the early 1950s, in which many of the themes first emerged. You'll then have to read biographies of Thomas Cochran who the Aubrey character is based upon.

Other consequences may include learning the Latin binomial for the common booby, and being seen to inspect old pillar-boxes, to see if they were made by the Carron Company, where carronades were made.

Not to mention the insane need to explain the weather gauge to complete strangers, against their will.

So be warned! :)

Which it had that effect on me, didn't it?

Brownie points if you can work the phrase "You have debauched my sloth" into a pub conversation.

• Like 1

Finally got around to buying 'Consider Phlebas'. I've been meaning to read the Culture books for yonks. I'll start it once I finish 'The Circle' by Dave Eggers which has proven to be a tortuous read, the kind that one dips in and out of for a month before working up the steely reserve to plough through it. It has interesting ideas but it is incredibly dull and everyone is a douchebag, intentionally so but I don't think that is a valid enough excuse. There is a good book to be written about the impact of social media and so-called 'transparency' on our culture but this ain't it.

Also have 'The Accidental' by Ali Smith which I'm looking forward to reading. She's been on the list for a while and I've heard good stuff.

Battle Cry of Freedom by James M. McPherson

Easily the best book I have read on the American Civil War.

This Pulitzer Prize-winning account provides a wonderfully detailed picture of a divided antebellum America; both North and South with entirely different concepts of freedom for which they were both willing to fight and die for. 

The details of Lincoln's presidency conflict with the myth and Sherman's vengeful total destruction of South Carolina still shocks.

The total defeat and political subjugation of the south and the dominance of the north, which meant that the USA never had a southern-born president for 100 years, explains so much about the country today.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Half way through 2666 (Roberto Bolano).

2666bolano_1.jpg

I found part 1,2 and 3 pretty god, but i struggle a bit more with part 4. Might just be too many names and locations in spanish for my taste, don't think I've read any latino literature before. 

Anyone read it?

Edited by norwegianvillain

I think my enjoyment of the books is 100% down to the author. Patrick O'Brian strikes me as a masterful writer, the books seem painstakingly researched but to a land lubber like me that's just a cool aside. It's the sense of world building, the strong characterisation, the way he delicately hides Chekhov's gun, the gentle humour. It's all right up my alley. O'Brian seems like a man at the absolute top of his trade. If he kept the quality up for twenty books then consider me amazed.

He actually does. And you are dead right about the quality of the writing, he makes other genre writers (Cornwell et al) look piss poor.

While I wholeheartedly agree with the general sentiment about O'Brian's brilliance, I think Bernard Cornwell is one of a select few who are in the same bracket.

He actually does. And you are dead right about the quality of the writing, he makes other genre writers (Cornwell et al) look piss poor.

While I wholeheartedly agree with the general sentiment about O'Brian's brilliance, I think Bernard Cornwell is one of a select few who are in the same bracket.

Sorry, but no. Cornwell is pretty good on the battle scenes, but for the authentic feel of the dialogue he can't hold a candle to O'Brian. Same goes for Simon Scarrow - I'm currently reading his Napoleon/Wellington quartet, and sure, the plot rolls along and the battle scenes are excellent. But by God, the characters are one dimensional. Like the similarly plodding Ken Follett, he's clearly never heard of the maxim "Show, don't tell".

Sorry, but no. Cornwell is pretty good on the battle scenes, but for the authentic feel of the dialogue he can't hold a candle to O'Brian. Same goes for Simon Scarrow - I'm currently reading his Napoleon/Wellington quartet, and sure, the plot rolls along and the battle scenes are excellent. But by God, the characters are one dimensional. Like the similarly plodding Ken Follett, he's clearly never heard of the maxim "Show, don't tell".

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one :)

Cornwell pretty good on battle scenes? I'd say unbeatable.

Not a fan of Scarrow, and Iggledun is... ok. Follett I find generally awful! Have you read any of CJ Sansom's Shardlake series? I though they were superb although I did read them on recommendation from Cornwell... ;)

Â