Do you read?

Luke_W

I've started "Trainspotting"

**** hell it's a struggle. it's like reading a Sunderland message board!

2zxrw90.jpg

:)

Read Glue by Irvine Welsh. Took a while to get into the colloquialisms and dialectic language but gotta love his stories.

Malcolm X: A Life of Reinvention by Manning Marable

Having been brought up on the Martin Luther King version of the history of the struggle for human rights, this was a total re-education for me.

I found it as horrifying as I found it instructive and it offers all sorts of insights into the racial politics of modern America.

The Autobiography is a stunning read.

I've got thisyesterday

I've got this one on deck, looks good

9781400045105_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

Read about the Batavia recently in an Australian shipwrecks book. Truly horrific tale!  :(

on deck, looks good

9781400045105_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

Read about the Batavia recently in an Australian shipwrecks book. Truly horrific tale!  :(

Finished it yesterday, and it was superb. A real page turner, you cant put it down. Adventure, intrigue, and the brutality of what happened after the wreck is horrifying. 

• Like 1

Having been brought up on the Martin Luther King version of the history of the struggle for human rights, this was a total re-education for me.

I found it as horrifying as I found it instructive and it offers all sorts of insights into the racial politics of modern America.

I like the part where he reads the dictionary in prison. 

I was quite amused by the way he got jailed for some really dumb crimes, like committing armed robbery on someone he knew, giving watches he'd stolen to relatives, were straight out of Take the Money and Run.

His mentor in prison (John Benbry) was very like Shawshank.

His surprise when Bea gave him up for a lighter sentence.

All fascinating stuff.

I was quite amused by the way he got jailed for some really dumb crimes, like committing armed robbery on someone he knew, giving watches he'd stolen to relatives, were straight out of Take the Money and Run.

All fascinating stuff.

It used to be required reading in certain college/university courses here in the States,  but I rarely see it today. I polled a group of my own students (I like polls) a few years ago, and almost no one had read it. This worries me. It's such an important text, sheerly from an historical view.

Edited by Plastic Man

All fascinating stuff.

It used to be required reading in certain college/university courses here in the States,  but I rarely see it today. I polled a group of my own students (I like polls) a few years ago, and almost no one had read it. This worries me. It's such an important text, sheerly from an historical view.

In so many ways.

• Like 1

Holiday reading will consist of a U2 biography, I dislike them intensely but always approach biographies of people I dislike as potential to win me over, it hasnt yet, but its worth a go.

Talk of difficulty reading Trainspotting, which is excellent, Bez's biography is a difficult read.

• Like 1

Anybody read 'the girl in the spider's web'? I'm a bit apprehensive.

Woah. Didn't even know about that book! I assumed with Larsson dying that would be it (even though I know he originally planned more)

I'll be reading that next, although I'll approach it with apprehension given the author change.

Pushing on with Aubrey-Maturin, I'm half way through book three HMS Surprise (they've just landed in Bombay) and the quality hasn't dropped one bit.  Patrick O'Brian really is a master of his craft, such brilliant prose, I get the impression he could have written about life in a cardboard box factory and he'd have found a way to make it funny, interesting and populated with fantastic characters.  The whole sub plot in HMS Surprise about Jack being paranoid about Stephen's pet sloth not liking him was genius, I genuinely laughed out loud at the punchline. :lol: 

Pushing on with Aubrey-Maturin, I'm half way through book three HMS Surprise (they've just landed in Bombay) and the quality hasn't dropped one bit.  Patrick O'Brian really is a master of his craft, such brilliant prose, I get the impression he could have written about life in a cardboard box factory and he'd have found a way to make it funny, interesting and populated with fantastic characters.  The whole sub plot in HMS Surprise about Jack being paranoid about Stephen's pet sloth not liking him was genius, I genuinely laughed out loud at the punchline. [emoji38] 

Has he done the weevil joke yet?

I think so, but I watched the film after the first book and it's done there too so I might be misremembering.   The film is very good, plot wise and character wise it's not a patch on the books (it has a two hour time limit so how can it be?) but it's beautifully shot and worth watching for that reason alone. It won the oscar for best cinematography the year it was out and it's quite understandable why, the HMS Surprise is the star of the film and it really gave me an insight to what a life on the high seas would have looked like. Highly recommended if you've not seen it yet. 

I think so, but I watched the film after the first book and it's done there too so I might be misremembering.   The film is very good, plot wise and character wise it's not a patch on the books (it has a two hour time limit so how can it be?) but it's beautifully shot and worth watching for that reason alone. It won the oscar for best cinematography the year it was out and it's quite understandable why, the HMS Surprise is the star of the film and it really gave me an insight to what a life on the high seas would have looked like. Highly recommended if you've not seen it yet. 

Yeah, I enjoyed the film. Wouldn't have cast Crowe as Aubrey though. He should be a BIG bloke. In my imagination he's somewhere between the opera singer Bryn Terfel and the comedian Greg Davies.

• Like 1

Â