Do you read?

Luke_W

couldn't get on with Solitude myself. Was so thunderously dull. Bit I think the genre isn't just for me, didn't get far trying to reading Robert Bolano either tbf.

Have just picked up Men in Space by Tom McCarthy at random browsing in a library:

Set in a Central Europe rapidly fragmenting after the fall of Communism, "Men in Space" follows a cast of dissolute Bohemians, political refugees, football referees, deaf police agents, assassins and stranded astronauts as they chase a stolen icon painting from Sofia to Prague and beyond. The icon's melancholy orbit is reflected in the various characters' ellipses and near misses as they career vertiginously through all kinds of space: physical, political, emotional and metaphysical. What emerges is a vision a world in a state of disintegration.

Sounds like it could be fun.

couldn't get on with Solitude myself. Was so thunderously dull. Bit I think the genre isn't just for me, didn't get far trying to reading Robert Bolano either tbf.

Have just picked up Men in Space by Tom McCarthy at random browsing in a library:

Set in a Central Europe rapidly fragmenting after the fall of Communism, "Men in Space" follows a cast of dissolute Bohemians, political refugees, football referees, deaf police agents, assassins and stranded astronauts as they chase a stolen icon painting from Sofia to Prague and beyond. The icon's melancholy orbit is reflected in the various characters' ellipses and near misses as they career vertiginously through all kinds of space: physical, political, emotional and metaphysical. What emerges is a vision a world in a state of disintegration.

Sounds like it could be fun.

The first time I read 100 Years, I gave up after 36 pages.

5 years later, I tried again. On page 37, I was hooked, no lie. It all came together in an instant, and the rest of it was like Dickens on mushrooms. **** brilliant.

• Like 1

Although I love to take the piss out of Follett's tropes and clichés, which can be pretty damned annoying, I definitely feel the need to defend him here.

Like for instance, when some spirited Welsh girl takes a job as a maid in the local earl's house, who happens to be married to a bitch and he ain't getting any, it is all a bit predictable, clichéd and annoying, but then he'll put a few people in a drawing room and they'll painlessly explain the origins of WW1, I have to admit that he is pretty good.

It can all get very politically correct too, as he panders to modern precepts, but for people who wouldn't think of picking up a history book he is pretty good at covering all the bases.

It might seem contrived at times but Edge of Eternity does a pretty decent job of covering most of the major post-war historical events, even if I think Plum Nellie is a lousy name for a 60s/70s rock band. 

He's obviously not in the same class as O'Brian but it is hard to think of anyone who comes close.  :)

Read The Martian in preparation for the film adaptation. He's not exactly Arthur C. Clarke but it worked overall mainly because of the humour.

Godspeed, little taters.

Although I love to take the piss out of Follett's tropes and clichés, which can be pretty damned annoying, I definitely feel the need to defend him here.

Like for instance, when some spirited Welsh girl takes a job as a maid in the local earl's house, who happens to be married to a bitch and he ain't getting any, it is all a bit predictable, clichéd and annoying, but then he'll put a few people in a drawing room and they'll painlessly explain the origins of WW1, I have to admit that he is pretty good.

It can all get very politically correct too, as he panders to modern precepts, but for people who wouldn't think of picking up a history book he is pretty good at covering all the bases.

It might seem contrived at times but Edge of Eternity does a pretty decent job of covering most of the major post-war historical events, even if I think Plum Nellie is a lousy name for a 60s/70s rock band.

He's obviously not in the same class as O'Brian but it is hard to think of anyone who comes close. :)

Well, yes. Simon Scarrow is similar. I'm now on book 2 of the Napoleonic series, and it's a good way to get a potted history of that war. Just a shame that the characters and dialogue are so wooden.

TBF to Follett, I only tried one book - The Pillars of the Earth - but I just couldn't get on with it, and gave up after about 100 pages.

It might seem contrived at times but Edge of Eternity does a pretty decent job of covering most of the major post-war historical events, even if I think Plum Nellie is a lousy name for a 60s/70s rock band.

He's obviously not in the same class as O'Brian but it is hard to think of anyone who comes close. :)

Well, yes. Simon Scarrow is similar. I'm now on book 2 of the Napoleonic series, and it's a good way to get a potted history of that war. Just a shame that the characters and dialogue are so wooden.

TBF to Follett, I only tried one book - The Pillars of the Earth - but I just couldn't get on with it, and gave up after about 100 pages.

For some reason I don't seem to be put off by an author irritating me.

I've been reading some Jo Nesbo over the summer and despite the fact that his omnipotent villains, misogyny and over-elaborate murders really annoy me, it hasn't stopped me going on to read others.

I think Edward Rutherford does a much better job of those big epic historical tales than Follett.

Twelve Days - Story of the 1956 Hungarian Revolution. Absolutely brilliant read and really highlights the sycophants of Eastern European communist parties, towards Russia, after the second world war. Brilliant written and it reads like a page turning novel - but it's all just depressingly true.

• Like 1

I think Edward Rutherford does a much better job of those big epic historical tales than Follett.

Or his American equivalent, James Michener.
  • Like 1

Â